Author Topic: Best suit for cold weather?  (Read 44448 times)

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best suit for cold weather?
« Reply #60 on: Feb 15, 2012, 09:01 AM »
after i posted about korkys outpost,i went back and ordered the large jacket and bibs. 185.98 and free ups shipping. after reading all the info on here about the striker suits i had to buy one.  i have never owned a ice suit always use my deer hunting coveralls. i really like the flotation part as i fish solo alot.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #61 on: Feb 15, 2012, 11:00 AM »
korkys has the striker lite jacket 95.99 and bibs 89.99 plus free shipping.
i went to this site an hour ago and that was the price but now the prices have changed .if you get it for that cheap thats a steal i just got the striker ice lite floating suit last month for 300 bones.jacket at corkys 135.95 and 127.95 for the bibs still at that price the suit is worth it.

Offline finnbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 15, 2012, 03:17 PM »
I think I am going to buy the Striker Parka and keep my AA bibs for now. What is the difference between the Striker and the Striker lite? I assume the lite is for warmer weather - but how warm?
Too many lakes
Too little time

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 15, 2012, 06:30 PM »
I have the Striker Lite Suit and it is very warm.  I have been out it single digit weather with strong winds and didn't get cold at all.  Was extremely impressed with it.  I've heard the regular suit is for those that sit out on the ice exposed to the elements and the lite suit is for those that sit in shelters or move around a lot.  Thats just what i've read.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #64 on: Feb 16, 2012, 06:32 AM »
i have yet to be cold in my striker lite suit  and have the pit zips and legs unzipped almost all the time.but im pretty active on the ice.

Offline finnbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:15 AM »
Standard operating procedure is to drag my single man clam filled with all the gear out through slush and snow, then I very rarely flip the tent over, just sit on the seat out in the elements. I like to move around a lot so I never take the time to completely set up. Rarely I will set the tent half way for a wind block. I was thinking I would get the regular suit - but it now sounds like maybe the lite? this year is an exception of course, but mostly single digits and wind chills are what I am fishing in.
So you think the lite is the way to go?

Too many lakes
Too little time

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Feb 16, 2012, 09:46 AM »
dr.speckler you are right the prices did change. i must have hit it at the right time only paid 185.98 plus free ups. order shipped. i might have got the best deal around on this suit. can't wait to try it out.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #67 on: Feb 16, 2012, 09:57 AM »
Standard operating procedure is to drag my single man clam filled with all the gear out through slush and snow, then I very rarely flip the tent over, just sit on the seat out in the elements. I like to move around a lot so I never take the time to completely set up. Rarely I will set the tent half way for a wind block. I was thinking I would get the regular suit - but it now sounds like maybe the lite? this year is an exception of course, but mostly single digits and wind chills are what I am fishing in.
thats about what i do but with a frabill commando..all i wear underneath is sweatpants and sweatshirt and rarely flip my shack over.i think the regular suit is for sitting in one spot on a bucket for long periods of time in frigid temps and the lite suit is for someone that drills alot and jumping hole to hole or sits in a shack.the striker lite ice suit is warmer than the blue ice armor suit is what they advertise.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #68 on: Feb 16, 2012, 09:58 AM »
dr.speckler you are right the prices did change. i must have hit it at the right time only paid 185.98 plus free ups. order shipped. i might have got the best deal around on this suit. can't wait to try it out.
heck of a deal  right there.

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 16, 2012, 11:24 AM »

That's pretty much my standard procedure as well and I went with the Lite suit.  I think you will be happy with the Lite coat if that is how you fish the majority of the time.  If you plan on camping in a spot for most of the day and it's going to be frigid, then maybe an extra layer might be necessary, depending on how warm blooded you are.   Since I purchased the Lite suit this year, I really only flip my Clam over when it is extremely windy and it is affecting my line or ice build up in a hole is a problem.  Otherwise I'm usually just sitting on my seat and jigging with the tent folded down.

Offline kevt528

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 17, 2012, 03:11 PM »
I also move around a lot with my clam one man, I have the lite suit and it has been plenty warm I have only zipped the jacket up a couple of times even it the wind with temps in the teens or single digits.  I think the reg suit would be way too warm for me.

Striker Ice Lite

surflizard

« Reply #71 on: Feb 18, 2012, 01:18 PM »
 I pulled the trigger on the striker ice lite suit this morning, $259.00 to my door with free shipping !! :thumbsup:

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:35 AM »
I pulled the trigger on the striker ice lite suit this morning, $259.00 to my door with free shipping !! :thumbsup:
I thought you were an AA man, through and through  ;) I think you're really going to like the suit surf!

To those who are wondering regular vs. lite - I do both long bucket sitting, sitting in a pop up, and LOTS of run and gun walking a few miles each outing.  I have the regular suit, I only wear a thin wicking underlayer (not for warmth really) and then the suit.  No other layers.  I fish COLD and windy ontario lakes and never get to cold or hot.  That's the beauty of the venting system, and I use it A LOT.  Walking and hand-auger, open the pit zips and 3-way leg zipper at the knee.  Sitting on a bucket, zip it up and hunker down.  If you have a heater / wood stove permy then the regular suit would definately be too warm, but I would think any suit would be with a heater going.

I'm sure the lite is plenty warm by the reports I've heard - but I didn't want something I'd have to wear other layers under so I got the regular suit and I love it!
Tight lines

Offline MLBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 21, 2012, 12:02 PM »
I got the strike ice lite suit.  I think it provides maximum flexibility to handle a wider range of temperature conditions.  Just layer more if necessary for the coldest weather and then you can still use it in warmer conditions late in the season. 

I'm not sure who they designed those suspenders for on the bibs, I have the adjustment buckles all the way up on top of my shoulders.

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Feb 22, 2012, 10:42 AM »
I got the strike ice lite suit.  I think it provides maximum flexibility to handle a wider range of temperature conditions.  Just layer more if necessary for the coldest weather and then you can still use it in warmer conditions late in the season. 

I'm not sure who they designed those suspenders for on the bibs, I have the adjustment buckles all the way up on top of my shoulders.

I talked with Shawn about the suspenders being too long when I sent my bibs in to get the crotch fixed.  He said last year there were complaints about the suspenders being too short so they lengthened them for this year's run and said they went a little too long.  I would think next year they should have it dialed in.  Shawn had the suspender length adjusted for me while my bibs were in getting repaired at no extra charge, just another perk of the quality customer service.

Offline finnbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:42 PM »
I thought you were an AA man, through and through  ;) I think you're really going to like the suit surf!

To those who are wondering regular vs. lite - I do both long bucket sitting, sitting in a pop up, and LOTS of run and gun walking a few miles each outing.  I have the regular suit, I only wear a thin wicking underlayer (not for warmth really) and then the suit.  No other layers.  I fish COLD and windy ontario lakes and never get to cold or hot.  That's the beauty of the venting system, and I use it A LOT.  Walking and hand-auger, open the pit zips and 3-way leg zipper at the knee.  Sitting on a bucket, zip it up and hunker down.  If you have a heater / wood stove permy then the regular suit would definately be too warm, but I would think any suit would be with a heater going.
I think with the pit zips I will go with the regular. I am always a little cold when I sit. If they have any big sizes left in the spring and they all go on sale, who knows maybe buy one of each ! I could see using the lite for early and late season in my kayak too.

I'm sure the lite is plenty warm by the reports I've heard - but I didn't want something I'd have to wear other layers under so I got the regular suit and I love it!
Too many lakes
Too little time

surflizard

« Reply #76 on: Feb 28, 2012, 05:13 AM »
Your right DL, the Striker lite suit blew the Doors off the AA suit ! I used mine in 30 MPH Sustained winds with 45 to 50 MPH gusts Saturday and never once had any issues, What a difference !

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Feb 28, 2012, 10:41 AM »
looks like a real nice spot you got there surf
Tight lines

Offline fishman31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Mar 15, 2012, 06:15 PM »
Check out this striker video.

This bad boy really float like a cork...

http://youtu.be/OL40cBUrH4s

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Mar 20, 2012, 12:51 PM »
I am looking for a suit for next season.  I am not concerned about thin ice as much as  cold temperatures like - 20C / - 4 F.
A flexible  set of bib pants is a must with lots of pockets.   Comments / suggestions?
Stay safe  ....    Tom

surflizard

« Reply #80 on: Mar 20, 2012, 01:51 PM »
Send an email to [email protected] and he will answer any question you may have, real nice guy to talk to and he listens to you, real nice change nowadays if ya ask me ! Sounds like the striker ice regular suit would do the job for ya !

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Mar 20, 2012, 04:51 PM »
Surf, thanks for the link.

I would like to hear what others think of some of the other companies out there.  Customer support  and warranty are important.   However when you wait for return mail of 2 -3 weeks from Canada to the States and back again  I would like a good product that does not require any warranty repairs.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Mar 20, 2012, 05:03 PM »
Surf,

I sent email to [email protected] as other address did not work.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

surflizard

« Reply #83 on: Mar 20, 2012, 07:57 PM »
Good luck with which ever brand you go with Tom, I will say this though, the Arctic Armor plus suit is a sauna, there is no way to vent heat other then to take the jacket off, I did not have that problem with the Striker ice suit !

Surf

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Mar 21, 2012, 08:42 AM »
Surf,

Good point.  I don't need to start sweating  and then get chilled.   I appreciate the info. 

My 30 year old bib pants have worn / rotted out so I definitely will need something for next winter.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Mar 22, 2012, 01:39 PM »
Received a lengthy, informative,  reply from Shawn this morning.   One point he made about the Striker Suits  that interested me was:

Another factor to consider is how "hard" you are on your gear. The heavy
floater and non floater suit uses a 600D Endura fabric (similar weight and
feel to Carhartt, but is waterproof/windproof/breathable).

That describes me to a T.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Mar 22, 2012, 01:57 PM »
When you measure for size do you include sweat shirt and vest you might wear under the coat?  Sweats and long johns under the pants?
Stay safe  ....    Tom

surflizard

« Reply #87 on: Mar 22, 2012, 06:01 PM »
I use a wicking base layer and micro fleece shirt and pants over that and I'm good to go. One base layer is Heavy weight for below zero temps and the mid weight base layer is for zero and above. I like the 1/4 zip mock turtlenecks, they unzip to help vent and the high collar keeps the wind off the neck.

Offline fishman31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Mar 22, 2012, 07:40 PM »
When you measure for size do you include sweat shirt and vest you might wear under the coat?  Sweats and long johns under the pants?

Walleye.

If you are looking at the Striker Ice you should not need to factor in  additional under clothing.  In outings this past season I encountered 50 mph sustained winds at 19 Degrees F.  For a full 8 hour day.  This occurred two times this season and the clothing that I wear are an under armor shirt and fleece pants.  You can wear additional under layers but I recommend light and breathable layers.  But a single base layer will suffice.  As far as extreme tempertures this suit will handle your needs and on the warmer sunny days unziping any of the vents will keep you comfortable. Watch my above video to see its floating.  Note for that filming I ended up going in for two separate shoots back to back and after getting out and walking to shore I was still comfortable.  Hope this helps.  If you need more assistance pm or email me.

Offline Bull Giller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Aug 29, 2012, 06:56 PM »
Vexilar Cold Snap suit is great for the money.
Retired full-time Mille Lacs Guide now chasing my favorite panfish.
Honda Foreman 450ES
Polaris 600 Indy XCR 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.