Author Topic: Flasher and when to set?  (Read 2541 times)

Offline cold nose

• IceShanty Rookie
Flasher and when to set?
« on: Feb 11, 2015, 06:23 AM »
Went out and was pulling crappies out of 23 feet . Im using a x67 in flasher mode ,i would mark a fish and they  would rise to the jig and they would not bite. So i would set and 7 out of 10 times  i would have a crappie. Only a few times did i feel a tick the rest of the time i just watched them line up on the jig. I would give it anywhere from 10,20,30 seconds and sweep the rod . I was using a plastic wedgie and small tungsten. Even had a spring bobber on one rod and never had it go up,to indicate a bite. How many of you fish this way?   

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Flasher and when to set?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2015, 09:41 AM »
I've done that quite a few times this year and have come up with fish...especially when the bite is slow. You'll notice sometimes while open water fishing that crappie wont pull down and wont up bite, they'll simply slowly swim away with your bait. It seems they do the same under the ice from time to time.

Catchin' Fish

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2015, 11:41 AM »
Buy a rod that you can see a bite with. Spring bobbers are not all as sensitive as they are made out to be. Buy an ht ice blue super flex 30" from fishusa for $9.00. Youll see them bite.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2015, 05:25 PM »
I use a Bic lighter spring on my rods. Also use a heavy jig so you can feel the jig. Make the bobber bend somewhat. If they touch it you will know.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2015, 12:56 PM »
a crappie can bite so lightly...i've had them not move a spring bobber and not feel them on a quiverstick.  my go jigging motion allows me to feel the tension.  the cadences is jiggle-jiggle-jiggle-jiggle-1" lift.  usually i can see the something hanging on in the jiggle if not i def see it on the lift.  this is using a noodle rod. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.