Author Topic: finding crappy  (Read 3014 times)

Offline stingdave9119

• IceShanty Rookie
finding crappy
« on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:56 PM »
Still new in general to ice fishing started 5 yrs ago for did about a dozen outtings then took a few years off. Me and few friends have dove in and are loving it. Really want to target crappy as its a drive to get to good walleye grounds and not comfortable with going out lake erie for jumbos. I got a big local pond i fish over the summer and do great for big bass and monster crappy with one being 18inches few years ago. Dont know where the pictures went. Decided to give it a go ice fishing this year. Got a few over by the red dock on the left and just wondering how you guys would go about fishing it for crappies i believe the middle is close to 10ft deep and drops to 4ft about 5ft off of shore. i have permission in the lower corner by the red dock to walk onto ice but am a little concerned as there are a couple drains close together. I have a flasher as well so the plan now was to drill a bunch of holes in a pattern in the middle and look for fish.

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
Re: finding crappy
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2014, 11:22 AM »
fish for crappie @ night.if the deepest part is 10 fow and shallow is 4 fow...fish the deepest you can...if they are not there...go deeper...should be easy on this body of water...use plastics..glow glow glow...if they are there...you will catch them...but you have to find them.
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2014, 01:20 PM »
fish for crappie @ night.if the deepest part is 10 fow and shallow is 4 fow...fish the deepest you can...if they are not there...go deeper...should be easy on this body of water...use plastics..glow glow glow...if they are there...you will catch them...but you have to find them.
What and where is the food they're looking for. Place looks small enough to figure out fairly quickly and remember they move when feeding. Give an area a bit of time, one can often get into a right hole wrong minute deal if moving constantly. Couple of guys, couple of nights and it should be narrowed down considerably

Offline stingdave9119

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Thanks guys. Got out the other day and did alright. Got a good idea on where they are sitting and how they are roaming now. Marked a golden shiner bait ball and a shad bait ball surprisingly as i pulled those out each time the balls came through. Brought home 6 and let few others go. Didn't get to fish the deepest hole as kids had set up and ice rink and didn't want to put any holes anywhere close to them. Had a lot the felt the jig just couldn't get a solid hook set into. Is there any certain style shank and hook you guys prefer to use on crappy such as a wide gap or a longer shank.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:32 PM »
Prefer fine wire hooks with the barb pinched for easy penetration regardless of bait type. Generally use jigs with #6 or #8 hooks and do fine with exclusively plastics. Tend to open the gap as well, doesn't take much but timing for hook sets on a "papermouth"

Offline stingdave9119

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2014, 11:52 PM »
thanks. still building confidence so haven't tried the plastics yet. I'll have to give the barb pinching a try but wasn't sure if the narrow gap on my tiny jig was hurting my hook up as i would think it would have less to tear to pop out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.