The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: The Dead Sea!  (Read 20334 times)

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: The Dead Sea!
« Reply #30 on: Nov 04, 2006, 07:37 PM »
Thanks, Muskie Nut!  :clap: Slight change in presentation?  ???  ???

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 05, 2006, 01:26 AM »
Anything from a change in fishing depth, to a different jigging technique or speed.  Or even adding a little color.  On my minnows sometimes I'll dip their tails in flouresent powder coat jig paint, or even trimming the minnows tail so it swim erratically.  I've also found that Aqua-Vu's are priceless.  I'll drill 2 holes close to each other, drop the camera down one and jig or set my tip-up in the other.  Watching the fish react to a certain presentation whether it bites or swims away is educational. Good luck  :tipup:
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Nov 05, 2006, 05:44 PM »
Makes senses. Muskie Nut!

Offline unkymer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Michigan's Upper Peninsula
« Reply #33 on: Nov 08, 2006, 09:47 AM »
Are you fishing exclusively the west end of Poygan? I ask because there are better parts of Poygan to fish, as I'm sure you know. I grew up just north of Poygan (the Tustin area) and fished it until I moved away. We've done well over the years ice fishing Poygan. Some years the walleye are better than other. It depends on which lake in the system they stack up in, but there are always walleye there. I've never had success getting tons of large perch there, but certainly numbers if you work the weeds on the east side. Northerns off what we knew as Jonny's Indian Point and across the lake in the Captain's Cove area, Do you fish the Horseshoe? How about the weedbed in front of what was the Duck Inn. I think it closed after I moved away, but that's what it was called.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Nov 08, 2006, 08:53 PM »
Johnie's Indian Point! Captain's Cove! Memories and Flashback's!  :o  Thanks, for reminding me, that not only I'm bad at ICEFISHING, I,m old too! unkyer!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Where did you live north of Poygan?

Offline unkymer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Nov 09, 2006, 09:35 AM »
I grew up about a  mile south of Metz, near the Lutheran Church there. That was a while ago, as you can tell by the names I referenced. We always did real well off Jonnie's for big pike. It was a hoot hanging smelt under those big old hooks we used then. What were they called again? My memory is going to hell too. They were shaped like a "G". I'll agree Poygan is a fickle creature. Do you fish walleye off the Pony Creek point this time of year? Throwing crankbaits through dark? If not, you should. It was never a long fishery, but there would be 2 or 3 nights a year, just before freeze up, when we would just cast cranks from the point and hammer walleye. Usually the week before, or the week of deer season. Anyone still do that? I live in the U.P. nowadays, not far over the Wisconsin border and Lake Noquebay is almost exactly the same way. Lots of fish, lots of forage, almost no structure fish relate too which can make them a bear to find some days. But when you find them ...

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Nov 10, 2006, 09:13 PM »
St. John's Lutheran Church. I called, those heavy hooks a smelt hook, if were thinking about the same style! Perfect, for catching a Northern on a dead bait!  ??? Hook'em and Drag'em!  :( Sad thing, once one hooked the fish, theire wasn't much of a chance of a live release!  :( Gave them up, quite awhile before they disappeared in the bait shop's.

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 11, 2006, 12:37 AM »
Those hooks are called Swedish Hooks, and you can still purchase them at many stores.  I agree with you, Brujharr, a live release is difficult because the hook ends up getting swallowed.  I use either just treble hooks with a steel or mono leader, or quick strike rigs.  However, if I'm using larger dead smelt, I'll still use them, but I use a quick strike rig with it.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Nov 11, 2006, 07:57 PM »
Thank you! Muskie Nut, on this one! Swedish hooks, not a  smelt hook.  :-[ Memories!  :)

Offline eyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Nov 11, 2006, 11:13 PM »
As long as your talking old days does anyone remember Monsted's

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Nov 12, 2006, 06:18 PM »
I, remember eyehunter! Great place in the 60's.  ;D  Refresh my memory, was it Monsted's or Monstead's! Knowing myself, I'm wrong either way!  ::)

Offline eyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Nov 12, 2006, 09:53 PM »
nOT SURE OF THE SPELLING

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Nov 13, 2006, 02:22 AM »
I remember Brandy Old Fashioned's  ::)
I remember them because my dad and grandpa would drink them.  Now when I drink them it brings me back to the days of me growing up, taking a sip of my dads drink.  Remenicing of a more simpler time, no internet, no cell phones, and something called a Library.  WOW, how times have changed.  But one thing that will forever remain the same...the importance of friends and family, and the memories we can make and share.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline unkymer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Nov 13, 2006, 09:18 AM »
I agree with the hooks. That's part of why I don't remember the name is I don't use them anymore. We rig now with our own modified quick strike rigging, basically 2 smaller trebles at each end of the bait, tied together with light leader-type materials. You feel weight and you set the hook. No lost time, no worry about which end the bait is on, you hook up and are able to release them. Back then, when I was a kid, nobody released them. It was quite probably a good reason as to why there weren't many of them left that big in the 80's and into the 90s there. I left before they changed the size limits on northern pike. Does the reg effect Poygan? And more importantly, has it worked? Any big hogs growing in the lake?

Offline GatorBait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Jig it like you mean it
« Reply #44 on: Dec 02, 2006, 08:49 PM »
There are plenty of hogs in poygan. The only thing that effects you from catching them through the ice, is the shad population. 2 ice ages ago, the smelt were gone and the pigs were biting. Biggest I saw caught was 22 pounds. I personally had many in the 12-14pd range and one monster that said to heck with your 50# flurocarbon leader. All in all, I love fishing poygan. I'm there alot for every species of fish except gar. :)

Tightlines,
GatorBait

Offline highlife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 04, 2006, 04:53 PM »
i do its a big pond and u need to put time in to find them some years we do good others not so good we fish all over but from the fond du lac area.
LIVE TO ICE FISH, ICE FISH TO LIVE!

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 05, 2006, 07:30 PM »
TIME!  :)  :)

Offline highlife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 05, 2006, 09:05 PM »
thats right i grew up out there it has its days. i dont have alot of time for it thou. just sturgeon lately.
LIVE TO ICE FISH, ICE FISH TO LIVE!

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Aug 06, 2007, 08:01 PM »
  In yet another, season! The dead sea, baffles' me!    :embarassed:

Offline jr_the_dj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Sep 10, 2007, 04:44 PM »
I hit "the dead sea" last year only once. I was invited out, just as spearing was getting under way. It was a nice lake, but I dont know where the fish are. I would be willing to try it again if anyone wanted to meet up.

Jiffy Ice Drills Pro-Staff
Aqua Vu Pro-Staff
HT Enterprises Pro-Staff
PK Lures Pro-Staff

Offline GatorBait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Jig it like you mean it
« Reply #50 on: Oct 27, 2007, 03:59 PM »
I fish the dead sea at least 3-4 times  a week come ice season and pretty much every day my job lets me in the boat. We did great last year on the pike and walleye's were especially active. Always looking for someone to go fishing with, feel free to send me a msg.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Oct 29, 2007, 09:14 PM »
 Thank you, GatorBait!   :)   I need help and allot of it!   ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.