Author Topic: Two man hub?  (Read 1763 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Two man hub?
« on: Oct 11, 2018, 09:20 AM »
I’m looking for something to fill a specific niche in my ice fishing arsenal. I have a one man flip over (primary shelter), an Eskimo 949i (luxury 2 man/ sometimes 3 man), and my buddy has a 9416I (groups).

I’ve been working on a minimalistic (auger/rods/sonar/bucket)  Jet Sled Jr. set-up for fast and light outside fishing. I’m thinking about adding a small 2 man pop-up as an option. I’m looking for something light and much less cumbersome than the 949i that would accommodate 2 in a pinch, but primarily be used solo as a wind break.

I’ve had good luck with Eskimo, and the Quickfish 2 looks like a good option. But, I’m open to suggestions?
Thanks,
Mark

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Two man hub?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2018, 09:26 AM »
If it is going to be just you I suggest the FX 50 by Shappell.  It is just a wind break but does a good job. My grandson and his girlfriend(wife now) used it and they both fit on the bench. I have one for those days I go alone.
Bottom of this page. http://shappell.com/iceshelters/fxseriesflips.html
<===Lefty===

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2018, 09:36 AM »
Do you want to be able to stand up inside?  Thirteen inch height difference between QF2 and QF3.  Setup effort is basically the same.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2018, 10:30 AM »
I like the idea of the FX 50, but I really looking for something to have in the truck that I can throw in the sled when the situation/weather conditions dictate.

I would like the option to stand, but I’m willing to sacrifice comfort for reduced weight & bulk (the 949i probably requires the same amount of effort to set-up…same number of hubs).

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2018, 11:00 AM »
check out shappell line up.
http://shappell.com/iceshelters.html
their dx3000 is some thing i own and their pop up wh6500 and their fx100i.

the suitcase/cabin dx3000 might be better and you can sleep in it with a cot and have a floor. you can stand up in them.
make sure to use smitty ski system for snow covered lakes. or buy the shappell ski kit.

the wide house series goes as small as their wh4500 weighing in at 17#

also, their bay runner might be some thing you might prefer over what your using now as a replacement main shelter. it's a combination of a flip and cabin shelter. if you look at those check out the new bay runner 2. it might be offered in an insulated version soon. it has a very large tub in depth.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2018, 11:10 AM »
I like the idea of the FX 50, but I really looking for something to have in the truck that I can throw in the sled when the situation/weather conditions dictate.

I would like the option to stand, but I’m willing to sacrifice comfort for reduced weight & bulk (the 949i probably requires the same amount of effort to set-up…same number of hubs).
I can carry all my gear on the FX 50. And when you want to move you just pull it with the rope.  I also own the Wide House 6500, doesn't take long to setup but isn't portable.
<===Lefty===

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2018, 11:44 AM »
I have s eskimo 3i and a otter xth cabin I like the ability to heat the cabin easier cause its smaller in size has only one door compared to thd eskimo qf3I  I would go with either there are plusses to the qf3I like size in a pinch.. if you need shelter real quick and a little size to it then the qf3i is way to go but to heat a small area for cheaper cause propane can get outrageous on over nighters and weekends that's were I like the otter xth cabin.. the hub designs are similar the fabric on the otter is a tad better not much and the windows on the qf3i are better I think cause thicker plastic but that does not mean better?  Cause thicker can Crack easier.. when frozen..

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2018, 11:53 AM »
I like room but right around 50 Lbs is my max. limit on weight of a shack be it flip over or pop up.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2018, 11:58 AM »
I just bought an Eskimo quickfish 2 on Ebay for $135. 18 lbs.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2018, 12:11 PM »
Get the Quickfish 3 or 3i.  The numbers shack manufacturers claim the shack can hold usually isn't accurate with any amount of gear.  The Quickfish 2 can hold 2 guys, if it's just them sitting on a bucket with one rod.  If you want multiple holes or need space for a heater or other gear, you need to get the larger one.  Plus, setup time and weight are not much more.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2018, 12:41 PM »
Quickfish 3i when alone and when my son is with me. When we want more room I have a Quickfish 4.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2018, 03:05 PM »
I love my Eskimo 949i to fish out of by myself. I can set up 2 holes with rattle reels or tip downs and jig one hole. Weighs in at 44Lbs. Takes me about 4 mins to set up the tent by myself. I will hardly ever fish more than 2 people out of it. I have a Frabil one man flip over that I wish was bigger, I am considering selling it. I am totally spoiled by the room in the 949i.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2018, 04:43 PM »
I love my Eskimo 949i to fish out of by myself. I can set up 2 holes with rattle reels or tip downs and jig one hole. Weighs in at 44Lbs. Takes me about 4 mins to set up the tent by myself. I will hardly ever fish more than 2 people out of it. I have a Frabil one man flip over that I wish was bigger, I am considering selling it. I am totally spoiled by the room in the 949i.

Have you stayed in that eskimo 949i shack over night?? If so how was it to heat and what type of heater do you have?? When the temp gets below zero like -5 and -6 etc I found my frabill 7013 ambush outpost to hard to heat only had 300d on side and propane is not cheap..the newer shanty is warmer bUT the smaller otter seems to save more fuel cause I don't got to push it as hard.. maybe that's me??

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2018, 07:50 AM »

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2018, 08:35 AM »
Check out the Frabill HQ 100. It's super light and comes as a back pack carrier so it doesn't have to take up room in the sled. says it's rated for 6 ppl but I wouldn't do anymore more than 3. 2 people can fish it with ease.
Tight Lines!

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 17, 2018, 08:38 AM »
Hey missoulafish, that's a cool chart.  Where did it come from?  Is that all of it?
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2018, 08:43 AM »
Hey missoulafish, that's a cool chart.  Where did it come from?  Is that all of it?
No Shappell Hubs in that chart.
<===Lefty===

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2018, 11:01 AM »
No, no Shappell hubs in the chart. I was at Scheels in Great Falls yesterday and saw this and thought it was great info for everyone so I took a pic. OTher side had flip overs but i didnt take a pic of that which was dumb! ( maybe the chart can be found on their website??)

Offline Hutchmt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 17, 2018, 11:34 AM »
I've had the Eskimo Quickfish 3 for over 5 years now and it has been a tank so far.  Only issue I had was the mounting straps ripped off when a gust of wind came up.  This is partially my fault because I didn't have the hubs strapped down either, but some gorilla tape fixed the problem.  This was my main hub for the first 2 years, and now is what I use for early/late ice when I want to go light.  It holds 2 and I've fit 3 people in it in a pinch.  If you want to save weight and have something that should last you awhile I would go with the Quickfish.  My other disclaimer is when getting it ready for this year I noticed one of the hubs was starting to separate from the fabric...which was quickly fixed with gorilla tape.  While it doesn't look as pretty as it once did, it still works great when I need to it until I get the fold over out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.