Author Topic: Trout under Tipups  (Read 2886 times)

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
Trout under Tipups
« on: Dec 08, 2003, 06:51 AM »
    I'm having a little trouble getting trout consistently on tipups. I mainly fish a lake that has rainbows and browns. I read in previous posts that trout feed in less that 30ft and close to the ice. Am I correct in thinking that? I usally use 1-3" shiners and I don't know if thats the best bait for for trout. I seem to be hooking more pickeral and bass then trout. Should I switch to a different type of minnow? Also, last year I used a 12lb, 3ft flouro leader with a size 12(I think) treble. Now I know that the 12lb is way to heavy. Im considering going to to 6lb flouro for my leader. And use that setup for trout and panfish and have a seperate set of leaders for  walleye and pike(with a steel leader). What do you think about this setup?

This year, for trout, I will start off using powerbait, corn, wigglers, and 1-3" shiners for bait under my tipups. Is this correct? Also, what kind of grubs do trout take?  Am I on the right track as far as depth, bait, leader setup, and general setup is concerned or should I change something? By the way, the trout in the lakes I fish are generally less than 3lbs. Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Tight lines and many flags up - Fishinut
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
Re:Trout under Tipups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2003, 04:22 PM »
Not knowing the size or depth of the lake you are fishing(fish are 3lbs or less),you could try several options:
 1) spread your tip-ups along a shoal area into deeper water, varying your bait depths from a couple of feet under the ice to 2-3 feet off the bottom.
 2) Hit the Shoreline 2-3ft of water - SMALL SHINERS, salmon eggs/sacks,or garlic flavored velvetta cheese,small jigs/lures
 3)Set out 1 less tip-up than your allowed and cut a lot of other holes and jig with a small lure-varying your jig depth at each hole.
 4)Cut your holes EARLY if possible and let them sit for awhile,and try to be quiet on the Ice
 5)Go to 4lb test(50ft if possible)
 6) I like to use Polar tip-ups set on the lightest setting possible,but any tip-up can be used as long
as drag resistance is scant.

Good Luck - Good Fishing
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Most Of You Fish Too Shallow In My Mind
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2003, 05:29 PM »
I think most of you fish too shallow for trout. You will have better action in 10 - 25 feet of water, with about 15 the best on most waters. Trout are open water predators that follow schools of baitfish, using their incredible speed to intercept hapless shad, suckers, smelt, or panfish.
Trout will use all depths however, but generally not right under the ice as much, though they will at times. A good flasher is a must to find what depths they are at. Set your tip ups in the depth you see the most trout or baitfish come through at.
Also you should be jigging on your second line. Small flashy spoons or jigging rapalas tipped with a piece of nightcrawler or a waxworm work wonders. When trout are less willing to chase, a slowly, almost still fished piece or nightcrawler on a plain hook with just enough weight to get down will be better.
Whatever depth you see and catch the most trout is where you want to set your tipups. I like small live minnows best on tipups. If I was catching pickerel and bass on them too I would be pleased. If the pickerel and bass are too much trouble and you want only a nice trout, use bigger minnows that are too big for the others but small enough for trout, like 5 inch suckers or smelt.

Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2003, 05:57 PM »
here in alaska we use salad shrimp for trout bait.  It releases lots of oils and the trout are pretty attracted to it. Plus its cheep.  I have caught trout on my tipups the few times i have used them for them.

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2003, 08:43 PM »
Thanks guys for your help. I will be experimenting with all this when I get ice! tight lines
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.