New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lock 7 Mohawk  (Read 5225 times)

Offline liquidonyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lock 7 Mohawk
« Reply #30 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:59 AM »
Have you been out yet this year?

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:16 AM »
No , I went once to check ice a few weeks ago. I was going to go and drop some pike bait but I forgot my bucket in the back of my truck and it turned into a frozen block of bait fish.

Offline hunt4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 22, 2019, 05:16 PM »
Are the Pike and Eyes hitting yet?

Offline liquidonyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 22, 2019, 06:20 PM »
Drove by the lock on Wednesday, looked sketchy for sure.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 22, 2019, 06:26 PM »
Lol I bet the little ice it has is covered in rocks and sticks . I might check it out this week. I live about a mile away

Offline liquidonyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 22, 2019, 07:08 PM »
Nice! I’ve never fished there, but heard some talk about fishing the Mohawk backwaters

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 22, 2019, 07:23 PM »
It’s alright.  Nothing great. The deepest spot up top of the dam is around 10 feet in the bay off the boat launch. Mostly little dink perch and I’ve got little crappy. I don’t fish it much because I wouldn’t eat anything out of the Mohawk. The water is always mucky. I have seen some nice eyes and pike come out in the summer but nothing crazy.

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 22, 2019, 07:33 PM »
A buddy of mine got a fat a** 29 inch walleye jigging right on the wall below the lock 2 years ago in the summer so I would have to disagree about the "nothing crazy" comment

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 22, 2019, 07:57 PM »
A buddy of mine got a fat a** 29 inch walleye jigging right on the wall below the lock 2 years ago in the summer so I would have to disagree about the "nothing crazy" comment

The problem with lock 7 is the ice is sketchy once your outside of the bay with the current. Does the river hold nice fish. Yeah sure I’ve got tons of eyes out of it And pike well over 30 inches. The problem is your limited to the small bay thats 2-4 feet deep muck bottom with one 10 foot hole. the lock channel below Freezes but also gets sketchy around the outlet. I think it’s around 15 feet deep.  I don’t think the lower side of the dam freezes good enough to be safe. I’ve seen fish come out of the ice but I wouldn’t say it’s a prime location  but guys do catch fish every now and then.

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 24, 2021, 07:25 AM »
Old post but seeing if anyone has tried the area this year and has a recommendation for place to park or area to try that freezes well.

Offline riverat24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 24, 2021, 07:42 AM »
Have not been there this year.  I imagine the bay with the boat launch is good to go especially after last night.  Below Lock lots of construction/dredging spoils last time I was there Dec. 11th.  No access.  Lots of parking at the boat launch.  I have caught small northerns , perch sunfish in that area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.