Author Topic: Keeping your depth the same  (Read 3855 times)

Jon Eis - Mishicot, WI

Keeping your depth the same
« on: May 02, 2002, 05:07 PM »
Author  Subject: tipup tip  
Jon Eis - Mishicot, WI  Posted At 09:25:26 05/09/2000 ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One thing you always want to keep the same, is the depth you have your line set at. If a fish takes your bait out about 50ft and you lose the fish your depth is all screwed up. To save alot of time on resetting your depth, put a small round bobber (those red/white or orange/yellow ones) on the line just coming off the spool. Also, if you have a flag go up and you run to it you can tell if any line was taken out by whether the bobber is gone or not in its original position.

dustin  Re: tipup tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 23:22:52 11/18/2000
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
always keep tension in your line when bringing in a fish on a tipup if u let slack in the line he will get off  
paul jenkins  Re: tipup tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 22:18:33 11/28/2000
John,
Try using a small button,thread the line through two of the button holes. You can slide this up and down the line to adjust your depth.You can leave this on your line all the time also. I've noticed through the years that the northern,walleyes and bass don't have so much of a tendicy to drop the bait when going through weed beds.Try this method sometime.
Good Luck,
Paul  
scott  Re: tipup tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 07:42:25 12/16/2000
the re is a special bobber made just for this reason . it is so small that the fish won't even know it's there. the button method works o.k. but moving the button when you go to a different depth is a pain  
mainefisherman  Re: tipup tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 17:02:43 12/29/2000
i use two 50' or so lengths of different color line.................. ..when you get to the trap you can gusess right away about how much line is out much like using lead core line  
Bob Massey  Re: tipups (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 12:32:44 01/14/2001
I would like to have the Cub group make their own tipup.
Does anyone have a good design for kids to make??  
Jon Usdin  Re: tipup tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 21:13:34 02/01/2001
Hi friends! The sliding button is a great way to mark your depth for shallow applications. Challenges arise if you switch from Northerns at 15 feet in the AM to Lakers at 90 feet in the PM. I now use those "worthless" micro splitshots that come with the multi paks we buy. When first setting up the hole, attach the depth sounder and find bottom. Raise up the desired distance and pinch on the smallest splitshot you have. This will tell you where your depth is after your next flag. Tight lines!  
RAY A.  Re: tipup tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 00:05:02 11/29/2001
I USE SAND COLORED BRAIDED NYLON LINE --WITH A PRMANENT BLACK MARKER I MARK OFF IN 5 FOOT INTERVALS ABOUT AN INCH ON THE LINE TAKES A LITTLE TIME SETTING UP BUT WORTH IT IN THE LONG RUN  
dave  Re: tipup tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 12:33:31 12/03/2001
Hi, i was wonder if any one knew where you can get bigger tipups, the round one's about 14-16" around if they even make them , thanks,,  
John Sieh  Re: tipup tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 16:13:50 12/10/2001
Another good tip for marking the depth of your line is to use a small button, which can be slid easily up and down on the line and does move from a fish strike.  
mark b  Re: tipup tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 16:00:57 12/16/2001
i use a paper clip to mark the depth. same concept as the button but i take them off after each tipup use. keep a pocketful in my coat so there always close by/cheap too  
bob  Re: tipup tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 16:16:04 12/18/2001
check out this tipup that I found that jigs your bait for you at www.tipup.net  
Al  Re: tipup tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 07:52:02 01/14/2002
I carry a number of I" sections of a rubber band to mark depth. Simply loop your line and insert a section of rubber band in the loop and tighten. It is easy to slip them out to change depth.  
Rob  Re: tipup tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 22:30:36 02/18/2002
We commonly use a medium/large lead shot weight to repeat the the depth that the hook is set at. First attach your lure of choice to the line then use a removable (clip ons work great) weight to find the bottom. Then decide how far off of the bottom you want to fish. Once it is set place a small split shot weight on your line to gauge your depth. This has worked well in 30 + ft of water.  

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
Re: Keeping your depth the same
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2002, 08:14 AM »
;)Rob has a good idea, but I use a match instead of a rubber band 1.it is easier to take off 2.it is bio-degradable. I just make a slip knot at the depth I want,insert the match and tighten.
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

travis

« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2002, 07:48 AM »
::)
i use a button and that works just as good.

crawler

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2002, 04:32 PM »
I use the pop top off a soda can just loop it in thru tab

paul dona

« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2002, 06:36 AM »
We use a small split shot, that way it's easier to move on the line

Tom McGowan

« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2002, 02:17 PM »
I use the rubberband also, but I actually thread a small 1" piece on my line. Stays put and usually last the whole season! ;)

themistocles3

« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2003, 07:24 PM »
I tie nail knots every 2 feet up my line useing chartruese 20# fly line backing.  I tie 2 at every 10 ft. mark. :'(

insane4eyes

« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2003, 04:21 PM »
We also use a small split shot works real well for adjusting and quick reseting and it goes on and off really quick on the line

acsacmboy

Re:Keeping your depth the same
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2003, 02:29 PM »
i use the smallest bobber you can find. even if you are useing bait the size of texas or a pin head. the smallest bobber is the best. clips on and off easy. neat. clean.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2003, 10:25 PM »
I use a button but it sucks when fishing diff depths all the time so  i started using a small split shot
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline gerryskid

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2004, 10:21 PM »
bread bag twist ties:cheap/free,yellow is highly visable,stay put well-but also slide if you need em to easlily.i keep mine on all thru the year and its not i pain to go from shallow water to deep,like a button is, just twist them off and on.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.