Author Topic: new at the whole tip up thing  (Read 806 times)

Offline harley-davidson

• IceShanty Rookie
new at the whole tip up thing
« on: Jan 11, 2011, 01:48 PM »
well I'm sure this isn't the first time but I'm gonna ask it anyway.  i was given all of my grandpa's ice fishing stuff after he passed and there were two tip ups in with it.  Cant really read the name brand but about all i can see out of it is beaver, as Ive seen u guys mention in other posts.  I would like to try pike fish with them,  but i know nothing about tip up or pike. So i thought i would ask on a few things that I'm not really understanding.  First question, not really sure what the parts are called,  at the top the little t thingy mabobber that your flag goes under one is tapered one is straight.  I'm assuming ones easier to trip then the other,  but what and when does that apply as to which one u use?  Second question,  what are these clips that u guys talk about.  Mine i believe are missing them, not sure if u need them or not.  Third question,  this might sound really strange but there is a button on the line?  what is that used for or was he doing something really billy with his tip ups?  So far these are the only things that i can think of right now. 

thanks,
Harley D

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Re: new at the whole tip up thing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2011, 01:59 PM »
Welcome harley-d.
Yes, you got it right...the "T" bar at the top is designed to work as you described, one side is made to be easier to trip then the other. Also depending on which way you have it spin when hit also adjust how sensitive it is to tripping. In addition to how high or low you have the "T" adjusted. Within reason of course depending on how thick the ice is.

Sensitivity settings are based on what you are fishing for. Certainly a small pan fish wouldn't take much to trip the flag as much as bigger fish such as a pike, pickeral, or bass might. So you adjust to fit what your fishing for.

The clips are like the type you find on a shirt pocket pen, to clip it in your pocket. It bascially acts to keep the line from unspooling when set. At least that is how I use to use mine.

Lastly the button was/is used to set the depth of the bait. The line was/is lowered with a weight to the bottom and then pulled as far off the bottom as one wants to fish. The button was then slid up or down the line to mark how much line to let out to be X number of feet off the bottom before setting the tip-up.

Do I search in the tip-up fishing section of the forum and you will find a wealth more info.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline harley-davidson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2011, 03:37 PM »
hey thanks alot scavenger.  appreciate your info

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:21 AM »
Scavengerj  got it right.

the sides of the "T" handle are different so that you can set to tip up to trigger with a light bite or an aggressive bite.

Here's a website that may help you

http://icefish.com/online_media2.html

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.