Author Topic: Pike Leader?  (Read 28522 times)

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
Re: Pike Leader?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 25, 2008, 05:23 AM »
Our ny pike must have dentures then :-)
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2008, 01:01 PM »
Honestly though guys. If you tried the Malin wire, I guarantee you would not go back to Flouro. The coffee color of the Malin wire makes it disappear so its fantastic for line shy fish. Plus, 30 lb wire is the diameter of 6lb test mono. Its ultra thin and since its titanium, it stretches. I am not talking about a little bit either. You can grab an 18 inch leader by both ends with pliers and stretch that leader 2 to 3 inches. Not to mention it has virtually no memory and is almost impossible to kink unlike other kinds of steel and wire leader. Plus, you can tie it. This is very important to me since I like to dress my leaders up with beads and sometimes spinner blades. I had my doubts when I first heard of the stuff too but after trying it, I wont ever fish with any other kind of leader. As a matter of fact. I have a buddy who fishes the pro walleye Circuit. He was having trouble in lakes with alot of Northerns in it hitting his crank baits. He asked me for a solution since every once in a while the pike were slamming the cranks so hard they were cutting the line. I suggested he use a short piece of Malin wire in front of his cranks to help prevent bite offs. I tied some up for him and told him to give them a try during pre-fishing. Not only did it work, but it did not reduce his catch on walleyes, nor did the wire interfere with the action of the crank. Amazing stuff is all I am saying and if your a Pike fisherman, you owe it to yourself to try it. Or not, it makes no difference to me. Maybe your a person who doesnt like technology.

Oh and by the way, I thought I would add that just because I use Titanium leader doesnt mean I horse the fish. I dont use a gaff either adkmtnman so I know full well when the fish is ready and when its not.

Here is the best source for Malin wire that I have found. There are some places that sell it cheaper, but those places require a $75 minimum order.
http://www.tackledirect.com/malinboanokink.html
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline FishN4Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2008, 01:14 PM »

All right, you talked me into it IceTroll.

Ordered two roles of the 30 lbs. BOA.

Stuff looks pretty good.

Thanks for the info, I've seen your Peck pictures so I'm pretty sure your word is good!
FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline WPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 25, 2008, 02:05 PM »
Had a pike bite through my 20lb stainless leader material yesterday...I ran out of titanium leaders so I thought I could use stainless once...bad idea.  I lost a hawg...

Offline ice rambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 25, 2008, 02:10 PM »
There pike not wahoo.

Offline bucky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 25, 2008, 06:01 PM »
I'm always looking for something I can tie knots in because I do a lot of flyrod fishing for pike.  I've used a 7 strand wire from American Fishing Wire or something like that for a long time.  It is supple enough to tie knots in and tough enough to take a beating.  Never lost a fish, but I'm always looking for something better.  Tried hard mono (maxima, etc.) in 40 lb. and it works as long as you check the line EVERY TIME.  The slightest knick will cost you a fish eventually.  Plus it sucks for ice fishing because it has such memory in the cold.  The American Fishing Wire gets beat up over time and will eventually get kinked which reduces strength (plus it looks bad).  So I'm going to give the Malin Boa stuff a try.

By the way - just found this site and already I'm getting some good tips.  Thanks!

Bucky

Offline VTPikeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 26, 2008, 04:35 PM »
18lb. or 27lb. 7-strand with .033 sleeve ROCKS !! You got to try it.......

Offline model8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 26, 2008, 08:44 PM »
tested a new theiry mono vs steel caught three. two on steel one on mono no breaks or cuts on mono (#6) biggest fish on steel. i say it doesnt matter as long as you dont force them through the hole i also used red hooks and normal hooks to compare the theory of red creates more strikes than silver and concluded they were equal over the past month or so. seeing how i found no diffrence in hook color or in leader makeup i would reccomend that you use what ever you are comfortable with. i would be interested to know if anyone else has also tested this theory and their results.
jiffy model 30 the only ice auger because the bells and wissles wont  cut ice.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 26, 2008, 08:46 PM »
Another 14lber today on 8lb mono, must be he had his dentures out today :tipup:

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #39 on: Jan 26, 2008, 11:03 PM »
we ended up with 5 over 35" today all on wire .............go figure
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline WPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 27, 2008, 09:17 PM »
Were you on Keeley?

Offline Josh B.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 28, 2008, 06:27 PM »
I use 40-60 seagaur flourocarbon, primarily 50.  I have never broken off a fish and rarely even have nicks in my line.  Sharp hooks save you.   I use gamaktsus which are dangerously sharp, this makes it so all you have to do is lighlty set it and it will pierce the mouth.

Offline MACK_USCG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout Assassin!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 29, 2008, 06:52 AM »
I use Gammy's on all my stuff and you are right they work awesome.  When Striper fishing I switch out all my lure trebles with gammys and I noticed a huge difference in hook ups. 

Offline Grizzly Rider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 29, 2008, 12:45 PM »
I use a 4 ft section of regular 20lb Stren mono as a leader............been using 20 lb mono as a leader for more years than I care to admit............and have had maybe 3 bite off's in 40 years............fish up to 24 lbs...........

Been ice fishing almost 60 years and I'll stick with what has worked for me........
Ride a grizzly or walk......

Mr.bluegill

« Reply #44 on: Jan 29, 2008, 12:54 PM »
do you guys just clip the hook on the leader snap swivel or do you do something else thanks :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 29, 2008, 05:08 PM »
airman,

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=73167.0

once you lose a big one youll figure it out  ;) (HOPEFULLY!)

Offline lethalconnection

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hawg Hunter!
« Reply #46 on: Jan 29, 2008, 10:17 PM »
Another 14lber today on 8lb mono, must be he had his dentures out today :tipup:

Must have or your just one really lucky person.
Fishing is the sport of drowning worms!

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #47 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:44 PM »
I've always used 20lb titanium leaders.  Never a problem until I had one bite through it this past Sunday.  Never saw the fish, but it felt good until it swam away with half the leader. 

Offline KenB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 30, 2008, 11:27 AM »
Hello All !

I'm new to the forum and from farther south where I don't trust the ice enough to walk out on it so I'll need to wait until early March before I can fish again.  Hopefully you wont hold that against me.  I stumbled on this site while searching for some leader options for pike.

Great thread on this topic and a healthy debate.  Personally I have used 30# floro with OK results.  I did have a couple of bite offs that prompted me to try the knottable American Wire.  Have caught pike and large mouth on both.  When you're only catching a handful of fish a day it seems hard to draw a conclusion one way or another with so many variables that can affect the bite.  Up to now I've been live or dead baiting and wanted to try some crank baits this spring.  I was concerned about how a wire leader would affect the action.

After reading IceTroll's post I decided to give the Malin Titanium (30#) a try.  What kind of knots would you recommend?  Since it sounds like the knots don't cinch too tight so I'm temped to tie up a bunch of crank baits with a 12" leader and use a snap swivel to make it easy to switch baits?

thanks KenB

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #49 on: Jan 30, 2008, 12:26 PM »
i have had good results with a clinch knot using the 60# malin
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 30, 2008, 07:15 PM »
i have had good results with a clinch knot using the 60# malin

The knots wont be as pretty as tied mono are but they will be strong and they are low profile. They will work for crank bait leaders no problem. The snap swivel for quick change out will work too.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline cookr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 30, 2008, 10:08 PM »
I plan on placing an order for Malin BOA NO-KINK leader tomorrow.  I'm a novice at ice fishing, and have a couple of questions in regard to knot's used on the leader.  I plan on using a #4 treble or possibly two on the business end of the leader tied with a clinch knot, (this seems to be the preferred knot)?   I would prefer to use a perfection knot instead of a barrel swivel to hook on my snap swivel on my main line.  My other question is, do you think the perfection knot is a good replacement for the barrel swivel?  My thought process is, (why add more hardware than necessary to a leader that has good knot capabilities).  You only need a hook on one end and a loop on the other to hook to your swivel on your main line.  Will this set up work?     

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 31, 2008, 03:19 AM »
I see no reason why it wouldnt work cookr but I will tell you what I do. The Malin wire is not a good wire to attach split shot too so I tie mine up with a barrel swivel. Instead of tying a snap swivel on my main line, I just tie the main line to the barrel swivel the wire is connected to. Up above the barrel swivel, on the main line, I put a barrel or bullet weight that slides free. The weight cant slide any lower than the barrel swivel and is sufficient to keep the bait where you want it. If your using live minnows, the minnow will be able to swim up some due to there being no real weight close to the minnow but I think this is a plus rather than a negative. It gives the minnow the ability to struggle more which is a very good predator attractor. My leaders are usually no more than 20" in length and if I need to replace a leader, which is rare, I just cut the main line and tie another one on.

Offline cookr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:34 PM »
Thank for the setup suggestions IceTroll.  I ordered two rolls of the 30# test today.  I forgot to ask Tackle Direct how long it took to ship (oh well at least it's on the way).  Hopefully I will be seeing it early next.  Learning more and more about this wonderful sport every day.

Offline bucky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:43 PM »
Cookr,

Tackle Direct took 6 days to ship my order - 4 business days. 

As for the perfection loop in lieu of a barrel swivel, I think you're good to go.  I have always used perfection loops on my fly fishing leaders.  I use hard mono for a leader and do a loop-to-loop connection to my bite tippets.  The perfection loop is a 100% strength knot (it retains 100% of the test weight) and works well with wire, mono, floro, and braids.  Great way to keep more hardware off your line.

Disclaimer - I haven't tried it with the Malin titanium yet. 

Offline cookr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:59 PM »
Thanks for the shipping and knot info Bucky.  I've used the perfection knot on leaders for trout on mono and really like the knot durability.  I'll have to give it a try on the Malin and see how it performs. 

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 31, 2008, 08:17 PM »
Another 14lber tuesday on 15lb mono.

Offline WPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 31, 2008, 08:47 PM »

The thing is, when I'm picking a pike leader I'm thinking about a fish twice that size.  I'm sure a 14lb pike wouldn't get through a good mono in the time it takes to bring it up on a tip up, but there's 5 reservoirs just within an hour of here where a 14lb pike is a small fish if you're fishing tip ups.  When there are 25-30lb pike cruising, you look very silly when a bit off mono leader is all that comes through the hole.

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 31, 2008, 10:53 PM »

all 14 pounders eh, exactly 14 pounds right on the button...hmmm....  ::)

14 pounds truly does not mean anything to me, I have seen 40 inch pike called 30 pounds before  :roflmao:

once your hook into a BIG one, you will truly regret your decision against wire(like the guy in the post did)

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #59 on: Feb 01, 2008, 04:08 PM »
The first one was 14.2, and the second one wasn't quite an ounce shy of 14. I've seen atleast 5 20lb pike come through on mono, thats good enough for me. But I'm done bickering in this thread, you guys use what you want, and I'll use what I want.
Tight lines.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.