Author Topic: What Are You Adding This Year?  (Read 40561 times)

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
What Are You Adding This Year?
« on: Oct 03, 2014, 09:15 AM »
I spent alot of $$ last season getting ready.....new flip over, new flat screen camera, I just got asked if I would be interested in a guide trip for 4 to Bay of Greenbay for this Jan/Feb......that's what I might be adding to my list this season.......I have never done anything like that b4.........I think NOW is the time......I'm not getting any younger........give me your thoughts on your "BIG" purchases for this year.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What Are You Adding This Year?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2014, 09:19 AM »
Bought a 6" drill unit for the lazer mag for perch fishing,  couple new perch sweethearts, debating weather I was a thermal shanrty for this winter yet.

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2014, 09:33 AM »
I just bought an adjustable 4" - 16" extension rod to go with my Clam drill / auger conversion kit that I bought last year.  The ice here in Vermont got 3'+ deep last year so with the extension I wont have to finish off my holes on my knees.  I also splurged and bought a Hummingbird 110 portable fish finder on Craigslist for cheap with the idea that I can use it on my boat in the summer and on the ice in the winter.  I read some posts where guys have used them as cheap alternative to a flasher with good success.  I sold my flip over shelter last spring because I got tired of dragging that heavy thing around like a draft horse.  This year I'm going back to my jet sled with light gear.  I am going to buy a 2-3 man popup hub shelter for when my better half or some of the grandkids want to go.  I'm looking  at the Shappell 5500 and the Frabill Ambush outpost.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2014, 10:26 AM »
That 110 will work great

I'm getting a Lazer to replace the Mora I had on my cordless drill last season

Catchin' Fish

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2014, 10:30 AM »
I believe the only thing i'll be adding this year will be an Aqua View Micro......I think.....

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2014, 10:41 AM »
My biggest addition this season was a new Marcum LX7 which I can't wait to get out and test it! Other than that my only other big purchase will be a new pair of Much Arctic Pro's. My old Cabela's hunting boots just didn't cut it last year. Feet were cold constantly. Up til then they have been great but the extra cold last year made it clear that I need something more.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2014, 10:47 AM »
Last year i dumped all my coin into the basics... Bayrunner, heater, flasher, and stuff like that so this year I'll be looking into a set of premium tip ups, some nicer jiggin rods, and a wider variety of jigs and maybe an electric auger. Still another 6 weeks of open water fishing for me here, but starting to think about the ice stuff now.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2014, 10:49 AM »
Bought a lot of nice gear last  season rod/reel combos and face lifted my  Vex FL 18 ...this year got a Striker Ice Climate suit ...ordered a Clam auger plate ..and going with some plastics for gill ,crappies and perch ...lately I have been considering a Aqua vu Micro ...to replace my older Aqua vu camera ...wish I can see one in action ..not certain .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2014, 11:06 AM »
All I added is a Marcum Troller and a Mr. Jigger for the wife this year. Nothing else for me, I have so much now I will never use it all before I go to the Ice House in the sky.
<===Lefty===

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2014, 11:12 AM »
this year i'm gonna blow some dough on a power auger. i took newbies out a lot last year, and i intend to do it more this year, the downside being that i'm the only one who can drill a hole in less than 5 minutes through 10" of ice.
long story short, i end up exhausted after the first half hour on the ice.

also looking to add a few more tipups and build some new rods.

if i'm lucky, i'll get a bonus from work and be able to pick up another vexilar or a new underwater camera.

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2014, 12:05 PM »
Went for the Mother Load this year, thanks to my wife being so big hearted. New Arctic Cat 500, new 6x12 enclosed aluminum trailer, Otter XT1200 cabin with Otter Caddy,Hyfax, tow bar, rod holders & Northern Brite LED lights.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 03, 2014, 12:31 PM »
Wow, can't really follow that last post, but I plan on doing something for a power auger, my Jiffy 30 is just too heavy since I drill for anywhere from 2-5 people. At 6 holes per person it can make for a rough morning for me since no one else can seem to run my drill well.

I am also looking to buy a new sled, but I trail ride and tour a lot so I don't consider it an ice fishing purchase.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T7 Custom Rods, CatchEmAll Custom jigs
« Reply #12 on: Oct 03, 2014, 02:21 PM »
I'm with Perchnut..... Aqua View Micro. Bought alot last year.... My wife started going out with me so got her all the warm comfies, a 2 person flip over sled and a single for myself, converted my Humminbird 798si for on the ice, enough tungston to weigh the sled down another 10 lbs and a couple of new jigging rod/reel combos. Need to cut back this year. so far so good but I have the itch real bad lol !!!!
Be safe & Tight lines...........Wiley

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 03, 2014, 03:53 PM »
I want a one man flip over for my oldest.  I have a 2 man flip over for my youngest and myself, so I need something for my other kid who is becoming more independent so he can move around and fish as he pleases.

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 03, 2014, 04:07 PM »
Picked up an LX7 over the summer and a used Jiffy towards the end of last year.  Other than maybe more jigs I'm probably set. 
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 03, 2014, 04:38 PM »
New Frabill shanty, new rod box (sick & tired of the bags and the tangled up mess,) a Tickle Stick, and possibly an inline reel for it.  ;D

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 03, 2014, 05:54 PM »
  Marcum Lx-5 and a Thorne Bros custom rod.

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 03, 2014, 07:12 PM »
Custom rod, tickle stick, replace spoons/jigs, new quad, maybe another inline.

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 03, 2014, 08:00 PM »
Custom rod, tickle stick, replace spoons/jigs, new quad, maybe another inline.

What kind of inline do you have, and do you like it?

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #19 on: Oct 03, 2014, 09:32 PM »
Picked up an Aqua Vu micro over the summer from CL.  Anxious to try that out.  I have a Vex camera too but I find I don't use it all that much since it is one more piece of big equipment to drag onto the ice. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 03, 2014, 11:32 PM »
Bought 2 man clam flip, clam auger, poles, tackle, and Fl-18 last year. Getting back into the sport was way more than I thought but oh well. This yr I hope to add to my tackle and also really want to try the tickle stick from 13 fishing.
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 04, 2014, 12:41 AM »
I just bought another CNC jig mold for pike and lakers. Going to buy another one here soon with some of my PFD money. These things get spendy at$155 each but the jigs they turn out are awesome.
Ordered some more powder paint for jig making as well.
I don't think I need much else but I'll probably find something I cant live without.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline limitingout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 04, 2014, 06:20 AM »
New pair of muck arctic pro extremes.I got five years out of my rocky boots hopefully longer on the new mucks.

Offline Chub58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 04, 2014, 07:43 AM »
My splurge is a 360tc hub and a buddy heater.The shapell
suitcase and procat heater took a beating last year.I hope
the smitty sled I built last year and the hub will be less
work.
Hut - Cabelas 360tc
Sonar - Vexilar double vision fl20 DTD flx28
Rods - Custom
Lure - Fiskas tungsten
Ride - 07' Polaris 700 dragon
Auger - Clam conversion Dewalt 20v Mora 6"

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Oct 04, 2014, 07:59 AM »
Hopefully nothing more than a new sled and a few jigs.  I'm sure that I'll impulse buy more than that though.

Offline icehook17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Oct 04, 2014, 09:07 AM »
So far its been a fatfish 949i.   Resisting the temptation of getting a aqua micro view, electric auger, and a FL-18. 

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Oct 04, 2014, 11:36 AM »
I spent alot of $$ last season getting ready.....new flip over, new flat screen camera, I just got asked if I would be interested in a guide trip for 4 to Bay of Greenbay for this Jan/Feb......that's what I might be adding to my list this season.......I have never done anything like that b4.........I think NOW is the time......I'm not getting any younger........give me your thoughts on your "BIG" purchases for this year.

how did the new flip over work out for you and what brand did you end up with

I am shedding weight for ice fishing and looking for a sturdy flip over [ shapell fx100]

SnoHam13

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Oct 04, 2014, 03:34 PM »
It was expensive this off season...atv, tanaka head, 6-TB rods and lotsa jigs and spoons.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: Oct 04, 2014, 04:01 PM »
Going to build a new darkhouse/perm shack this year.  First time in a few years I've spent anything on ice fishing.

Offline Rip N Lips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Oct 04, 2014, 04:07 PM »
Got the electronic fever...bought a Vex fl18 ultra , also Lowrance x67c, Now the Marcum Showdown 5.6 dual beam,  Broke the fever a little I Sold my Vex fl8 slt.  Need Ice bad sitting here dry jigging and twitching ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.