The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Catfish Tips?  (Read 952 times)

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
Catfish Tips?
« on: Jan 28, 2019, 07:52 PM »
A friend and I are planning on targeting some catfish this weekend for the first time. We're heading out to the Horseshoe chain near Cold Spring/Richmond. I've never targeted cat fish before and have very little experience. Would anyone be able to share tips that would help us out? Depth ranges to target? Or any types of structure to look for? Lures, baits, anything like that would be very helpful and appreciated.

I know there are some spots on horseshoe to avoid completely due to bad ice conditions, the "meth hole" in particular. Does anyone know if there are any other spots to avoid? We'll probably be using the Cedar Island Lake access and fishing around there.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Catfish Tips?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2019, 02:07 AM »
Also avoid the main channels around/under bridges...current makes unsafe ice.

As for fishing, just fish like you would for crappies, in water depths generally 25' or more with crappie minnows is easy start.  The catfish can be more shallow like crappies would be at times.  They can also just simply school up in the deeper holes too, especially when night falls.  You may see marks from 10' under you all the way to maybe 50' under you, depending on where the catfish is suspending.  They are sometimes attracted to shanty villages.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2019, 07:48 AM »
Watch the recent Fish Addictions season 3 episode where they target catfish in MN.  Should be some tips on there for you. 

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2019, 02:11 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys, will probably start in some 30-ish feet holes an see if we can find anything and move around a bunch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.