Author Topic: Superstitions  (Read 3648 times)

Trooper Bri

Re: Superstitions
« Reply #30 on: Mar 10, 2008, 09:39 PM »
No superstitions for me. I have favorite gear that always comes with me, but that would be mojo i believe.

The banana on a boat superstition raises an eyebrow with me though. I honestly would never get on someone's boat who subscribes to that old wive's tale. Seems to me a captain has other thing to think about besides what someone brought for lunch.

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Trout through the ice... now that's nice !!
« Reply #31 on: Mar 10, 2008, 09:43 PM »
havent washed my ice bibs in 3 years either... just gotta let em hang to air out once in awhile  ;D
:sick: :roflmao: :clap:

Offline Wild-man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 10, 2008, 09:51 PM »
oooohhhhh yeah!!!!!!!
superstitions up the wah-zoo!!!
let's see...
no EATING fish within 24hrs of GOING fishing...
my lucky tee shirts...
my wife picks the hot hook the night before.. (uncanny results!!!! she says she just picks the "neatest looking" one but her track record is crazy-good!!!)
oh, and, no eating or drinking on the lake until you've caught something!!!!!
Never Met a Fish I Didn't Like...

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Mar 10, 2008, 10:10 PM »
One of my 5 traps is always one of my grandfathers old school traps. He was my fishing partner for the last few years of his LONG life, and it just seems appropriate having a part of him there with me...however...i have not iced anything on that trap since his passing. still keep it w me though. Not really a superstition, but a habit.

Snot Rocket
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 11, 2008, 08:06 AM »
I don't know where to even start.First off if I don't get my clothes I want to wear out the night before I'm doomed.I also never check my gear the night before ,its much better to find it in a tangled mess when I get out on the ice.It atleasts slows me down a little when I finally get holes cut  ::). Got to wear the same rag wool gloves I've worn for years,never been washed and I bet they could walk or swim for that matter with the amount of fish slime on them.

I could go on but I'll spare everyone the details on how I get dressed ;D

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #35 on: Mar 11, 2008, 08:14 AM »
One of my 5 traps is always one of my grandfathers old school traps. He was my fishing partner for the last few years of his LONG life, and it just seems appropriate having a part of him there with me...however...i have not iced anything on that trap since his passing. still keep it w me though. Not really a superstition, but a habit.

Snot Rocket

Nice thought Snot!
 I carry stuff I never use but maybe once a season, I think i will throw one of the "Ancient Ones" traps in the sled for an extra, as they are the reason I am out there in the first place ;D
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #36 on: Mar 11, 2008, 08:22 AM »
I have to set my traps up in a certain order, and then pull them out in the opposite order....also have to have them all facing the same direction......most of the time I try to do STRAIGHT lines.....my buddy calls them laser lines.....

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #37 on: Mar 11, 2008, 08:26 AM »
Thats not superstition ....you're just anal ;D

I take mine out in certain order too but just trying to get one... more..... Flag!
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #38 on: Mar 11, 2008, 08:44 AM »

Snot Rocket

That's a really cool habit!  ;)

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 11, 2008, 03:14 PM »
The last two times out I hooked 2 fish before I could get all the tip-ups in the water. Thought it was going to be a great day-nite bite. However, never got another bite in 7 hours. TERRIBLE. Guess I should concentrate on more daytime fishing instead of nite fishing for the eyes.

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #40 on: Mar 11, 2008, 08:51 PM »
I do a couple things,Always use green sounders,wear my lucky t-shirt,and always make sure I have one of my
late brothers old fishing licenses in my top shirt pocket. Seems to work great because everytime I dont do one
of these I have a S@#$y day. ;D

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Mar 13, 2008, 08:25 AM »
I must have at least one article of lucky hunting clothing at least with me...in the sled or bucket. Hat, vest, bibs or shirt....anything will do. If it's really bad out there I must don said lucky clothing and then put a fit dip of skoal in....usually turns the fish on! LOL :D
"Feet Down and Bellys Up!!

Offline lostfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 13, 2008, 12:16 PM »
If you don't get a flag while you are setting up, it's going to be a slow day. Also you always will get the best bite of the day during the closest tide change on the ocean.  Believe it!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #43 on: Mar 13, 2008, 05:19 PM »
I guess I don't really have any superstitions. I'm too busy trying to figure out why the fish always quit biting by the time I get to where I want to fish.  :whistle:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #44 on: Mar 14, 2008, 07:49 AM »
during the closest tide change on the ocean.

Explain?

Offline Gezzah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 14, 2008, 07:54 AM »
After sounding the hole I wind the reel back 7 times.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley."

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Mar 14, 2008, 08:57 AM »
hmmm   if I dont stop by the beer store on the way to the lake I never catch a fish......then again that has never happened   :laugh:
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #47 on: Mar 14, 2008, 09:11 AM »
hmmm   if I dont stop by the beer store on the way to the lake I never catch a fish......then again that has never happened   :laugh:

I would hate to see myth busters prove it wrong ;D

Offline lostfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 14, 2008, 09:11 AM »
Explain?

I mean wheather you are fishing close to say....Penobscot, Portland, Portsmouth, or P-town, look at the tide chart for that location and you will notice that when the tide changes on the ocean from high to low or low to high things on the frozen lake change too. Usually the wind dies or picks up, the rain or snow starts or stops, clouds roll in or the sun comes out and most importantly the barometer shifts too. This is of course related to pressure and if you don't believe that barometric pressure influences fishing than you belong at the golf course or the flower show. I don't claim to know exactly the link between the two but all too many times I've seen a dramatic change in the fishing and catch the fish of the day within half an hour of the tide change.  But hey, what do I know...........

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Mar 14, 2008, 09:31 AM »
I mean wheather you are fishing close to say....Penobscot, Portland, Portsmouth, or P-town, look at the tide chart for that location and you will notice that when the tide changes on the ocean from high to low or low to high things on the frozen lake change too. Usually the wind dies or picks up, the rain or snow starts or stops, clouds roll in or the sun comes out and most importantly the barometer shifts too. This is of course related to pressure and if you don't believe that barometric pressure influences fishing than you belong at the golf course or the flower show. I don't claim to know exactly the link between the two but all too many times I've seen a dramatic change in the fishing and catch the fish of the day within half an hour of the tide change.  But hey, what do I know...........

i like the idea of it, dont see why it wouldnt work... too bad i dont live closer to the ocean
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Mar 15, 2008, 12:30 PM »
i always drill my 5 holes shallower than everyone else,
i always wear the shirt with a trout jumping at a fly on the back,
i always reel up once after sounding the bottom,
i must always forget something that is really handy but not necessary, like rod holders, camera, extra socks, etc.
i must always fish with an adult otherwise i don't have a ride to and from the lake,
the night before i always watch an in-fisherman ice fishing video,
a good luck charm always helps too but it has to be in the shape of a fish.

that's my superstitions.

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #51 on: Mar 15, 2008, 03:11 PM »
My buddy showed me today that he started carrying a rabbit foot for good luck....We got SKUNKED :sick:

Of course he blames me  :D

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #52 on: Mar 15, 2008, 06:35 PM »
I always wear my wife's panty hose....actually I've worn them fishing ever since she found that pair in the back of my van in 1974 :-\
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #53 on: Mar 15, 2008, 07:06 PM »
I always wear my wife's panty hose....actually I've worn them fishing ever since she found that pair in the back of my van in 1974 :-\
RG

You are killing me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Mar 15, 2008, 07:09 PM »
If I can, stepping off the ice seems to get me a few flags. Lighting up a smoke does it it to, Ciggarette or other. Taking a little walk till the flags are out of sight and then coming back works also. If all else fails, fish till dark! had some BIG bites just before total darkness where I can barley see the flags.

Offline Crookedlake92

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Mar 15, 2008, 09:37 PM »
I just make sure I take some beer........ everything else fals into place. :D

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 28, 2011, 03:40 AM »
RG
That's hilarious. 

Offline semperfi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
« Reply #57 on: Dec 28, 2011, 04:34 AM »
I ALLWAYS OFFER MY FIRST FISH TO A PAIR OF EAGLES ON THIS ONE PARTICULAR LAKE I HAVE BEEN FISHING FOR 10 YEARS,,SEEMS TO WORK VERY WELL

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #58 on: Dec 28, 2011, 05:42 AM »
YOU NEVER BRING BANANAS WHEN YOU GO FISHING. They are considered to be a BAD OMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You bring a banana, you're fish by yourself, (I won't allow one on my boat either, I will leave on shore)

I always count 30 paces between holes, never drill all my holes at once, I put in two traps then drill the rest of my holes

Walk away to visit a stranger, as far as I can, and still see my gear, guaranteed to set a flag off, also have made some friends doing this

Pirk

It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline Shawgill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:31 AM »
I ''ALWAYS'' TAKE A BANANNA BECAUSE I AM A REBEL........
  Hmmmm... maybe that's why I can't  catch a fish,  never made the connection.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.