Author Topic: 15.99 Haddock !  (Read 4168 times)

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
15.99 Haddock !
« on: Apr 13, 2022, 07:17 PM »
I was at the supermarket an hour ago and saw haddock fillets for $ 15.99 / pound. I passed as it could never be as fresh as what I pull through the ice. Besides ice fishing being a fantastically enjoyable way to spend time, there is a serious economic component to it that can't be ignored. If you love to eat fish as I do, on a ay that you are fortunate enough to harvest enough to yield 10 pounds of fillets that are equivalent to haddock, you save $ 160
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 15.99 Haddock !
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2022, 10:01 PM »
Save plenty catching fresh fish north of '49' as well. Large grocery chain has walleye fillets at $55/kg (that's $25/lb) CDN.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2022, 10:19 PM »
You really don’t want to hear about the price of snow and king crab!!!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2022, 06:03 AM »
must be an east coast thing?  our store had haddock 5.99# 2 weeks ago.  they had sold out when i went there and were selling the cod as substitute.  so i bought 4 more pounds than i went in for. lol

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2022, 06:13 AM »
Save plenty catching fresh fish north of '49' as well. Large grocery chain has walleye fillets at $55/kg (that's $25/lb) CDN.

Wow on that walleye price. More motivation to keep catching your own. How is a place legally able to sell a fish that has creel limits ? Maybe the law in Manitoba is different than here in NY. Any fish with a creel limit can not be legally sold, they are for personal consumption only. Or maybe the walleye that you saw is farm raised ? Interesting.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2022, 06:18 AM »
You really don’t want to hear about the price of snow and king crab!!!

I am not even a fan of crab meat and don't eat it at any price. For shellfish, I stick with shrimp, and who doesn't eat shrimp, and I will splurge and pay the high price for the big scallops once or twice a year. You can't have any better seafood than pan seared scallops and so at $ 16 / pound I have to splurge every so often on them. ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2022, 06:50 AM »
Wow on that walleye price. More motivation to keep catching your own. How is a place legally able to sell a fish that has creel limits ? Maybe the law in Manitoba is different than here in NY. Any fish with a creel limit can not be legally sold, they are for personal consumption only. Or maybe the walleye that you saw is farm raised ? Interesting.
In NY , perch can be legally sold whole
 Perch fillets in NY go from $15.00 and up
There are still 3 active netting licenses in Jefferson county

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2022, 07:23 AM »
Cod/haddock here was a 1 lb pkg for $6.99 last week. I like the cod better, thicker and firmer.

Walleye is big here, both to catch and buy. On most good restaurant menus. Our ridiculous limit right now is TWO on most waters; but you can buy all the walleye fillets you want in a store. The native Americans here can net all they want; no limits....a huge battle that's been going on for years. From a Minnesota website:

The majority of walleye are imported from Canadian and tribal fisheries.

On a pkg I have of them, it says "fresh caught walleye from northern waters"........... ???

All the grocers sell them, Cub Foods sells a lot..

https://storefront.cub.com/sm/pickup/rsid/1612/product/cub-fresh-water-walleye-fillets-16oz-00061656304072

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2022, 09:30 AM »
Looks like I'll need to do more fish harvesting to put onto the table.  I also think about the gas used to get to the fishing spot and back.  $40-50 for gas didn't seem worth it a year or two ago, but now seems worth it.

I saw a bag of dungeness crabs going for $45 a bag.  Didn't look to see if that was a 16 oz or 12 oz in weight.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2022, 09:34 AM »
Ah, just get the crab sandwich at Arby's......they have the meats!  ;)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2022, 12:16 PM »
Ah, just get the crab sandwich at Arby's......they have the meats!  ;)
is that real crab meat ot the imitation stuff?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2022, 12:20 PM »
That was just a poke at Slipperybob.....I don't think they have crab at Barbee's.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2022, 03:39 PM »

Walleye is big here, both to catch and buy. On most good restaurant menus.

Same here, but not just "good " restaurants, even the local "fish and chicken" shacks around here have walleye on the menu. Yesterday, I drove past a Culver's who was advertising a walleye dinner. I don't know if it's available in stores, fresh or frozen, never looked but assuming it would be.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2022, 03:55 PM »
I've had that at Culvers here. Danged good. But around here, it's batter fried, usually a beer batter, and spendy.
A few places advertise "Walleye fingers', but I really doubt that they're walleye. Most common way you've ever been able to get it here.....off of one of the "middle of the road" restaurants. Casual places don't have anything but fish sandwiches here for some reason, and a lot of the spendier places don't even have it. Years ago, every decent restaurant had walleye on the menu, and shrimp. Batter-fried shrimp is a real rarity now. It's all that breaded crap. No good beer  batters. I grew up working in my family's restaurant.

Canadian Honker Restaurant

Served with soup or salad, and your choice of baked potato, au gratin potatoes, mashed potatoes and gravy, or rice pilaf.

Fresh Water Canadian Walleye
#1 selling Entrée! Prepared one of five ways; batter fried, broiled with butter and lightly seasoned, parmesan encrusted, almond encrusted, or lemon lime seared. $26.99

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Apr 14, 2022, 06:56 PM »
I've had that at Culvers here. Danged good. But around here, it's batter fried, usually a beer batter, and spendy.
A few places advertise "Walleye fingers', but I really doubt that they're walleye. Most common way you've ever been able to get it here.....off of one of the "middle of the road" restaurants. Casual places don't have anything but fish sandwiches here for some reason, and a lot of the spendier places don't even have it. Years ago, every decent restaurant had walleye on the menu, and shrimp. Batter-fried shrimp is a real rarity now. It's all that breaded crap. No good beer  batters. I grew up working in my family's restaurant.

Canadian Honker Restaurant

Served with soup or salad, and your choice of baked potato, au gratin potatoes, mashed potatoes and gravy, or rice pilaf.

Fresh Water Canadian Walleye
#1 selling Entrée! Prepared one of five ways; batter fried, broiled with butter and lightly seasoned, parmesan encrusted, almond encrusted, or lemon lime seared. $26.99

Dam, glad I learned to catch and cook them.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Apr 14, 2022, 08:01 PM »
There's a place in St. Paul, Minnesota, that I go to just for walleye, when I'm up there.....it's all about walleye. Pretty famous restaurant for Minnesota, since our state fish is the Walleye. I love the place. Terrific food. Check out their walleye menu...not lacking there; even take home fillets!   :woot:

http://www.thetavernongrand.com/our-menu.html

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Apr 14, 2022, 08:10 PM »
Had me some walleye,walleye wings and cheeks for dinner tonight.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Apr 14, 2022, 08:11 PM »
Fish candy! Those cheeks are great!   :P

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Apr 15, 2022, 04:06 AM »
 I’m glad I like fish ,I try and keep my freezer stocked with perch and walleyes and a few stream trout

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2022, 04:20 AM »

I did well with catching Lake Trout and Salmon this year and have a freeze full. Enough to last me till ice season next year..

IW

Offline PerchPirate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Apr 15, 2022, 10:09 AM »
There's a place in St. Paul, Minnesota, that I go to just for walleye, when I'm up there.....it's all about walleye. Pretty famous restaurant for Minnesota, since our state fish is the Walleye. I love the place. Terrific food. Check out their walleye menu...not lacking there; even take home fillets!   :woot:
http://www.thetavernongrand.com/our-menu.html
WOW!
I need this place closer to me!! I would eat there everyday!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Apr 15, 2022, 11:43 AM »

Their menu sounds great

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Apr 15, 2022, 11:46 AM »
I can attest to the fact that it is. *urp*  : :P

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #23 on: Apr 15, 2022, 09:42 PM »
Thank you guys for all of the replies. There were a lot of replies mentioning walleye eating, but unfortunately I have caught only a handful of these in my entire life. I love to eat crappie, perch, and pike in that order of the fish that I do catch with regularity. I also like smoked lake trout when I am lucky enough to get one. I don't fish very much anymore in laker habitat.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #24 on: Apr 16, 2022, 04:17 AM »
Thank you guys for all of the replies. There were a lot of replies mentioning walleye eating, but unfortunately I have caught only a handful of these in my entire life. I love to eat crappie, perch, and pike in that order of the fish that I do catch with regularity. I also like smoked lake trout when I am lucky enough to get one. I don't fish very much anymore in laker habitat.

You should fish with your nephew more, they've been getting a lot of Lake Trout.

IW

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Apr 17, 2022, 09:45 AM »
MY Wife saw Walleye at Sam's for $11.00/lb. Michigan.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Apr 18, 2022, 06:07 AM »
Cub foods has Cod fillets at $13 a lb.... :pinch:

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Apr 18, 2022, 07:30 AM »
Rebless

Culvers only has walleye during lent and then only while their supply lasts. It comes from Canada. I am friends with a district manager for Culvers. He covers Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin. I do not know if he  jumps the river into Minnisoter.

I will ask him tonight if I can get him on the phone to see if he got a turkey as he is hunting in Wis for a couple of days.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Apr 18, 2022, 09:39 AM »
I'll eat the cod sandwich then from now on.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #29 on: Apr 19, 2022, 10:11 AM »
That was just a poke at Slipperybob.....I don't think they have crab at Barbee's.

LOL.  It's gonna be high priced imitation stuff.  LOL.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.