Author Topic: Water-resistant electronics  (Read 1001 times)

Offline GP

• IceShanty Rookie
Water-resistant electronics
« on: Mar 17, 2022, 08:25 AM »
Was out for the last time this season in the rain and most of my gear was soaked. Just curious if rain would have any long term impact on  ice electronics?  I am using a marcum and my understanding is that they and most ice electronics are only water-resistant, and not fully waterproof. Not sure how much that real matters, but I do wonder how well these products are sealed and protected from the elements.
Anyone have any issues with moisture getting into their fish finders?

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Water-resistant electronics
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2022, 08:58 AM »
I’ve had an analog Marcum LX5 for close to 10yrs and never had an issue. However if I’ve been out in rainy conditions I usually remove it from its soft case and put it in a Tupperware box with a couple desiccant bags for a day or two as a precaution. On my boats electronics, a freshwater rinse/air dry/spritz of corrosion protector on connectors is all. I typically upgrade boat electronics suite every 5 years or so and never a problem.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2022, 03:41 PM »
Vr had many days when my marcum VX-1’s came back covered in ice and eventually soaked. I do what Chawk does take it out of the soft case and disconnect any power source (battery, charger, what have you..) and try to knock off all the hard ice. The soft case is still soaked though and any melted ice has never messed with the display or anything like that.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2022, 07:30 PM »
Most all electronics are just water resistant, I try not to soak mine too much. Had a huge fight over water resistant and waterproof with a boss one time that thought our survey equipment was waterproof, alas it was only water resistant as was my survey crew.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2022, 05:16 AM »
Do not put your gear into a storage tub, with a lid, even if you think everything is dry.
If you have very large desiccant bags maybe I would try? Not the small packs.
Even lanterns will foul up doing this.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2022, 02:40 PM »
I have had issues in the past where water can leak into the unit, it does not affect the performance of the unit.  The thing that I saw was the water would freeze up inside the unit and then you could not see the screen well.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2022, 09:51 AM »
I would imagine that most of their LCD based systems are at least IPX7 rated, which means they can be submerged 1 meter deep for up to 30 minutes without damage. I know for a fact that the Garmin systems are IPX7 rated. I wouldn't sweat it.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2022, 01:06 PM »
Most are IPX7, so you don't need to worry. I floated my Garmin ice kit this winter when we failed to cross a knee deep puddle. It survived fine, the Ridgid tool battery I power it with, not so much. Thank goodness for Ridgid LSA.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.