Author Topic: Snow or No Snow Inside Hub  (Read 2515 times)

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Snow or No Snow Inside Hub
« on: Mar 06, 2022, 12:34 PM »
I know this isn’t a super important question.  I just want other opinions on this.  I like to bring a shovel when there is snow on the lake to shovel off the snow inside my hub.  I like smooth ice inside my hub.  It keeps things tidy and snow out of my buddy heater and fish finder.  My buddy thinks it’s a waste of time and work (it literally takes about two minutes.)  I have also seen numerous pics on the Shanty and Facebook of insides of hubs full of deep snow.  That would drive me crazy, especially the camping pics.  Let me know what ya guys think.  There’s no right or wrong answer to this.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Snow or No Snow Inside Hub
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2022, 12:57 PM »
We bring a grain scoop and get rid of the deep stuff before setting the hub up.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2022, 01:03 PM »
We shovel it down flat and smooth.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2022, 01:33 PM »
I shovel around all of my auger holes.  Can’t stand having that pile of shredded ice around the hole. 

Offline OldTowner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2022, 01:41 PM »
Always shovel and then put interlocking mats down. Same for around the holes.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2022, 02:21 PM »
I don't shovel. After I drill my hole, I use my boot and swipe side to side to clear an area around it for my fish finder so that it's sitting on level ice.

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2022, 02:35 PM »
Snow
Catching Any?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2022, 04:46 PM »
I may shovel some if a lot of snow ...but I would rather not wear cleats if at all possible so hitting bare ice is not my goal.. I dont use mats .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2022, 04:52 PM »
If staying overnight then I’ll leave snow, just level it. Using mats in combo over the snow helps slow down water on ice and over the mats from heater. I’ve stayed on fish in same spot sometimes for multiple days. Leaving snow in this situation really makes a difference. Mats also have less tendency of sliding around.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2022, 10:19 AM »
I think it comes down to how much snow are you talking about.  A few inches of snow, we drill the holes, knock down the pile and put the hub up.  We always keep the heater up off the ice to prevent a quick melt pool from forming.  The little snow isn't an issue to walk on.

If you are talking about 12" or so, then we shovel this off before drilling and setting the hub up.  Even then we try to keep some snow present, but depends on the amount.  With alot of snow, slush is now going to be an issue.  The weight of the snow outside will push the ice down and you will have water on top of the ice and this can find a way to your house. 

When we have had alot of snow, we have had to drill half holes outside the hub or channel a path for the water to stay out of the hub.  After awhile, it almost becomes pointless and we just move the hub to another area. 

If you want to shovel off all the snow, I think its best to keep the heater up off the ice and set on a crate or something. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2022, 11:39 AM »
I think cleats are a must if you shovel, especially if it gets wet in there.

Offline Owesome_Otter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2022, 03:23 PM »
I would get the Harbor Freight foam tiles over those. They are thicker (1/2" vs 3/8") and you get double the square footage per package for less.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html

You'll have to measure out your hub to determine how many you need.

Offline Harv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2022, 04:00 PM »
Thanks!  I'll have to measure it out.  I have the Eskimo fatfish i949

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2022, 04:29 PM »
I usually shovel down to the ice.

Watch out for heavy wet snow though.

I have shoveled heavy wet snow down to the ice, popped a hole with the auger, and up comes the water.

The weight of the snow pushed down on the ice and formed a little pond where I was going to set up =)

Good Luck all  :tipup:

Offline isaaccarlson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2022, 12:49 AM »
Get rid of the deep stuff and keep enough to level off/pack down for insulation/traction.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2022, 06:01 AM »
I prefer the snow out of my shelter so ill shovel. I feel better about my setup when its cleared out first, and similarly dont think it takes much time at all to do.

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2022, 07:27 AM »
I usually shovel out the snow to use for packing on the outside skirting of my shack.  It doesn't have to be bare on ice but I bring a mini shovel for the task.
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline antelope76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2022, 07:35 AM »
I like to keep some snow for my feet to sit on.  The bare ice will suck the heat right out of your feet.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2022, 05:57 PM »
Packed down to about maybe 4 to 6 inches of snow.  I don't like bare ice if I can have some snow cover.  I don't like deep snow either, it's just too much.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2022, 06:15 PM »
Packed down to about maybe 4 to 6 inches of snow.  I don't like bare ice if I can have some snow cover.  I don't like deep snow either, it's just too much.
That’s about perfect^^

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2022, 11:30 PM »
I like it bare, less messy.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 11, 2022, 01:33 PM »
If the snow is deep enough to cause overflow, you may be removing your best chance to avoid fishing in a livewell. I have removed all the snow in a spot only to realize that the snow had pressed the ice down to where the water was about an inch deep over the ice. We moved, and carefully packed a platform before we drilled new holes, and were able to use that to keep on top (for the most part)

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 11, 2022, 01:59 PM »
I always shovel off a 6x6 square, then drill two holes before setting up the hub.  So, if the hole comes a bubblin’ up like Texas crude, I’ll set the hub up next to it on snow.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 14, 2022, 09:25 AM »
I like a cathedral ceiling, so if there is a foot of snow on the ice, I will set the hub on top of the snow, then dig the inside and throw it out the door. Always clear ice inside and creepers on. Tried the interlocking mats and nope, not for me. Only time I do interlocking mats is if I am camping out, then I bring a few of them just for a place to take off my boots.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 14, 2022, 12:57 PM »
I think the interlocking mats are more trouble than they are worth.  I could see for camping though.  A few years ago, I made a 6x6 plywood floor with a 2x2 frame, three holes and hinges in the middle to fold in half.  The damn thing was so heavy, and kept sliding off the sled, I never used it.  I’m now okay with bare ice and insulated Mucks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.