Author Topic: strike master auger no start  (Read 1847 times)

Offline lazy ike

• IceShanty Rookie
strike master auger no start
« on: Feb 27, 2022, 06:55 PM »
new  carb   want   to use  it   wont  start  . using  40  to1  tru fuel  2yrs   old    havenet    used in  2  yrs.

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: strike master auger no start
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2022, 07:11 PM »
Seafoam and a new sparkplug.

Offline isaaccarlson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2022, 08:55 PM »
Mine used to do that too.  Turned out the metering needle was stuck and all I had to do was remove the metering cover and jiggle the needle a few times.  The old fuel gets sticky and the needle won't open to let in fresh fuel. 

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2022, 09:25 PM »
Scrap it and buy a battery auger.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2022, 09:40 PM »
I mix an oz of seafoam per gallon in all my gas cans, haven't had an issue yet. If you're handy, order a carb kit & rebuild it if the above suggestions don't work for you.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2022, 07:06 AM »
Couple things to cover the basics ..good fuel with good spark (cj6y Gap .030 for the plug for most older SM) most likely everything is dried out ...add a little mixed fuel to the throat of the carburetor may get it to pop and run a bit . If its an older SM ... there is a 90 deg plastic nipple on the carburetor that connects to the fuel line ..these can leak air and/or fuel .no fix for that other, then replacement. If you haven't changed the plug in a while ..it is not a bad idea to replace it .

After you get it running

Fill auger tank 1/4 w/proper oil/gas mix to that add Seafoam 2oz or more ...mix ....run auger till warmed up...then kill motor via the choke .....let sit half hour repeat ...let sit over night ...should fix some of the woes .

What  model and year is your auger ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2022, 07:56 AM »

::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2022, 08:01 AM »
Recharge the battery
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2022, 08:26 AM »
+1 for dry rotted fuel lines/grommet

I'm assuming the auger was stored dry.  Last time my gas auger was stored dry, I had to replace the fuel lines and grommet that passes them into the gas tank.  I couldn't start mine until I did that. 

Spark plug replacement is a relatively inexpensive fix too.  (As long as there's no spark)

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2022, 08:29 AM »
I had the same issues with my Jiffy 30. I ended up replacing the carb. I got it running well but then found a great deal on an ION Gen 2, 10" and haven't looked back. We now have a nice Jiffy with a new carb for sale.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2022, 05:52 PM »
+1 for dry rotted fuel lines/grommet

I'm assuming the auger was stored dry.  Last time my gas auger was stored dry, I had to replace the fuel lines and grommet that passes them into the gas tank.  I couldn't start mine until I did that. 

Spark plug replacement is a relatively inexpensive fix too.  (As long as there's no spark)
Had the same problem with my Strikemaster 4-stroke several years ago. New fuel line and grommet solved the issue. Also replaced the plug, and it runs like a mashed cat! Just a suggestion…don’t scrimp on the plug, and set the gap to factory specs for the best performance. I also recommend Tru/Fuel. A fuel additive isn’t a necessity, but it shouldn’t harm anything. I leave enough fuel to cover the fuel line grommet for storage. MYO
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline ChrisL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2022, 06:09 PM »
2-strokes foul spark plugs easily.  I would start there if you already replaced the carb.

Chris

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2022, 06:22 PM »
2-strokes foul spark plugs easily.  I would start there if you already replaced the carb.

Chris
Agreed!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline lazy ike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2022, 07:08 PM »
bought a  new  can  of  40.1  today  plug looks  good   cleaned.  no luck....   shoot   some  starting   fluid   in the  cilinder    ran  for   4  seconds  thats  it.....

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2022, 07:12 PM »
Not getting gas if it runs on start fluid.dont go ape shat with starter fluid it will dry the cylinder out and seize it.for test i put some 2 mixed gas in a bottle for that.clean the carb.its cave man simple.just read new carb..buy china cheap junk carb?id rebuild the original carb if its a older Tecumseh engine.

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2022, 07:40 AM »
Hey Ike, so did you try taking the fuel line off the carb and see if gas runs out? It is simple but may be the problem. Does fuel get to the carb when you push the primer bulb? I agree it sounds like it's not getting fuel.

Offline ChrisL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2022, 06:03 AM »
bought a  new  can  of  40.1  today  plug looks  good   cleaned.  no luck....   shoot   some  starting   fluid   in the  cilinder    ran  for   4  seconds  thats  it.....

In my experience visual condition doesn't matter, change it.  I think 2 stroke plugs get a light coating of oil that varnishes and shorts them out after long periods of storage. 

If it is a carb issue, put a little fuel (1-2ml) directly in the cylinder and see getting it to run will suck any junk out of the carb. 

As others have suggested, you may want to change the fuel hoses as well, they are not expensive.

Chris

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2022, 10:12 AM »
If you haven't used it in 2 years, I can pretty much guarantee that the rubber diaphragm is dried out.  When that happens, the diaphragm will not push up on the lever end of the little flipper that pulls the needle down to allow fuel to pass into the carb.  Take off the bottom of the carb, (usually square piece) and the rubber is right there.  now pay real close attention how it comes out.  One side of the rubber has a washer, the other side doesn't.  If you put it back the wrong way around, it won't push up on the lever.  Been there, done it a bunch of times.

Offline isaaccarlson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2022, 11:40 AM »
Do not buy a cheap china carb.  They are junk.  Tried one once and it was a piece of crap.  Rebuild the original or get a new oem.
It's a fuel issue.  Either hoses or carb. 

Offline lazy ike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2022, 05:48 PM »
thanks  guys   ice  will be  gone  wk.   will   mess   with it  next fall   or   a  40v    strikemaster

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2022, 07:13 PM »
Go for a 40V. No more carb issues. No more spilled gas. No more broken starter cords. You won't miss your gas auger for a minute.

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2022, 07:49 PM »
What he said, we just got an ION Gen 2, 10". It works like a champ, cuts fast and is about 20 pounds than our Jiffy.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2022, 05:56 AM »
Ike, if you are considering a new electric auger, might want to look around at end of season sales. guarantee the price won,t be lower next winter. wire

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2022, 06:08 AM »
Compression, fuel (in the right ratio) and spark (at the correct time) is all that is needed.  If it runs on spray then you have all but eliminated any concerns about compression and spark. 

You have either a fuel delivery problem or a fuel ratio problem.  Dry off your spark plug and pull the thing over with the choke on.  Recheck the spark plug to see if it's wet.  If it's really wet then then your low speed jet may need to be cleaned.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.