Author Topic: Pistol bit jamming up with ice  (Read 1545 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Pistol bit jamming up with ice
« on: Feb 25, 2022, 12:39 PM »

I love my pistol bit, but on cold mornings, the head gets ice on it after a few holes, and it will not cut at all. I have never had this before, and wonder if it is related to the ring around the blade. Does anyone else have this issue, or better yet, a solution? All I can do is try starting a few dry holes until the ice breaks off and it will start up again.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pistol bit jamming up with ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2022, 01:28 PM »
Mine will do that as well on particularly cold mornings.  The only thing I can recommend isn't a solution to the problem once it develops, but rather a mitigation measure.  After every hole I drill, I'll pull the auger out of the hole and let it spin for a few seconds in the open air.  I find that it sheds most of the water and prevents any significant buildup.

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2022, 02:56 PM »
Mine will do that as well on particularly cold mornings.  The only thing I can recommend isn't a solution to the problem once it develops, but rather a mitigation measure.  After every hole I drill, I'll pull the auger out of the hole and let it spin for a few seconds in the open air.  I find that it sheds most of the water and prevents any significant buildup.
I learned to do the same. Once I pull out of the newly drilled hole I continue the spin out as I pull up the auger to spin-off the ice flakes from the flutes and get rid of residual water sticking to the flutes, blades and ring. Also set it down so the blade section is protected from wind and snow to keep everything from refreezing on the blades.
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2022, 06:05 PM »

X2. I keep the cover on it when not in use and out of the wind. I also carry a small can of silicone spray with me. Keeping blades oiled often prevents ice build up as well. Great bit!

Offline Skadi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2022, 07:43 PM »
I start another hole but only drill a couple inches this results in a clean dry blade every time.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2022, 09:27 PM »
I start another hole but only drill a couple inches this results in a clean dry blade every time.

Awesome  solution  !!!
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2022, 09:32 AM »
🤯

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2022, 08:48 PM »
i've had this issue with every auger i've owned, so it's not just a pistol bit problem. my solution was the same as skadi's; excess water sticks to ice shavings as they're made, and you end up with a functional blade.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2022, 05:37 AM »
Spray it w/ Pam before drilling

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2022, 05:43 AM »

Yes! right answer.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2022, 06:41 PM »
I had the same problem with my old lazer mag, and my my older strikemaster with the chipper bit. And yes, that is a great tip to spin the excess water off when you are done drilling. Another tip was to spray it with cooking spray.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2022, 09:55 AM »

No doubt this works but seems like a good way to install a bunch of ankle breakers around your camp, especially on a snowy day.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2022, 11:23 AM »
Like the above said, spin it freely after each hole. I also carry some aerosol lock de-icer. Works great in a pinch.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2022, 07:50 AM »
800 stealth; punching a hole a few inches deep is to dry the bit. remove from hole ,n, put out of way. i put cover on ,n, put in sled. wire

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2022, 08:28 AM »
800 stealth; punching a hole a few inches deep is to dry the bit. remove from hole ,n, put out of way. i put cover on ,n, put in sled. wire

Yup, I understand the concept... That's why I opened my sentence with "No doubt this works"....
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.