Author Topic: crampons  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Ric66

• IceShanty Rookie
crampons
« on: Feb 23, 2022, 06:11 PM »
I know this topic has been discussed but couldn't really find the answer I'm looking for. I just ordered size 11 Baffin Titans and wondering what crampons I should order. I broke one of my crampons last week, and seems like it's very common thing to have happen. Looking for ones that are easy to get on and off, hopefully aren't too expensive, will last at least a few seasons, and will fit that size 11 boot. Any feedback is welcomed.
Thanks.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: crampons
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2022, 06:17 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075V4P462/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_dl_C9XKGB3958PS2HXT191E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My kids have these and I just bought my father in law a pair. They hold up for 4-5 seasons.
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Ric66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2022, 08:47 PM »
Yep. Those are the ones I bought and ended up breaking on me. Maybe I just got a bad one. Thanks for the reply

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2022, 01:56 AM »
Aww man. When I saw you using the term crampons, I had aspirations far beyond fake Kahtoolas.

That term should only be used by someone that's going vertically, rather than horizontally. Real crampons are used by folks scaling ice walls and the like. Bigger teeth and built to fit big boots.

More like this: https://www.rei.com/product/716230/grivel-g-12-new-matic-crampons

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2022, 03:34 AM »
I have the same boots in the same size and wear kock off kahtoolas from Ocean State Job Lot. The key is to get size XL. The large size fit very snug but only last a year. The extra large size puts less stress on the rubber.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2022, 05:10 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075V4P462/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_dl_C9XKGB3958PS2HXT191E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My kids have these and I just bought my father in law a pair. They hold up for 4-5 seasons.

I also still have this style ice creeper and they work great on the ice.  Mine were made by Eagle Claw at $21.99 and bought from Pro Bass 4 yrs. ago.  The important thing to remember is to remove them from your boots at ice end or if not planning to use them for a long period of time because, yes, the rubber will break if left streched over the Summer.  I recommend them for the low price of $21.99.

Offline isaaccarlson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2022, 04:42 PM »
With thick soled wonter boots, you can screw in some 1/2" screws like they did and save yourself the $65.  I have done this on lawnmower tires to get more grip.  It works amazingly well as long as the screws are shorter than your tire is thick.  Ice racers do it too.

A chain mail sock would work nicely and would be easy to put over your boot.

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2022, 07:15 PM »
LLBean Traction mini spikes with the Boa system, they fit great over my Mickey Mouse boots.

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2022, 07:03 AM »
If your boots are new and dedicated to ice fishing go with the 1/2 " sheet metal screw idea, they work great

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.