Author Topic: Hydroglow Green Light HG500  (Read 2773 times)

Offline Ricko54

• IceShanty Rookie
Hydroglow Green Light HG500
« on: Feb 22, 2022, 05:35 PM »
Interested in trying the HG500 light for some night time ice fishing here in Michigan.
   My question for you folks that use this light, what brand and size battery do you use for a night time of fishing? Thank you

Offline QuinnTheEskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hydroglow Green Light HG500
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2022, 05:55 AM »
I use 12v sealed lead acid batteries.  I don’t know how long they’ll run a light but they last longer than I do. 

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2022, 07:59 AM »
vex batt  with LEDs.  i ran my light 2 nights.  still had plenty.  youll have  light tomine.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2022, 08:08 AM »
i looked it up for ya.  1 amp draw. vex battery should run it for few days.

OANN the real story

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2022, 06:01 PM »
I have one of these LED underwater lights. One of the dumbest things I ever bought, but I’m a sucker for most gimmicky things. Illegal here too.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2022, 06:32 PM »
gimmick?  lol not so my friend.  been using lights of some kind all my life.  lanterns back as a kid with gramps and now LED submersibles.  thousands of fishermen will tell ya its no "gimmick".  id suggest trying it a few more times hawg. 

OANN the real story

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2022, 06:27 AM »
gimmick?  lol not so my friend.  been using lights of some kind all my life.  lanterns back as a kid with gramps and now LED submersibles.  thousands of fishermen will tell ya its no "gimmick".  id suggest trying it a few more times hawg.

It's a gimmick bro even though you think otherwise.

Offline QuinnTheEskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2022, 07:04 AM »
I use them both winter and summer.  If I’m fishing shallow water I put it just under the ice, in deeper water I put it down 8 or 10 feet.  In either case I fish about 10 feet from it. 
They aren’t magic and won’t attract fish from afar, you need to set up where the fish are or where they’ll be. 

Offline QuinnTheEskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2022, 07:09 AM »
This is a summer photo of minnows swimming around the light feeding on zooplankton, usually you can look down and see crappie chasing minnows down deeper. 

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2022, 11:55 AM »
They are only a gimmick to those who haven't used the correctly, or never caught any fish while using them.

It is common knowledge that lights do work. If you presume that putting a light in the water guarantees a big fish, you are putting the cart before the horse.

The light is intended to stimulate the food chain at night or under dark conditions.
The light will attract phytoplankton, which in turn attracts small fish and swimming insect/crustacean larvae, which in turn attracts small bait fish.

These small bait fish "should" attract larger fish.

The first mistake most people make (I did my first time) is to think that when the light goes on, the stuff happens automatically.
It doesn't...it can take time based on water quality and location of the light in relation to these aquatic creatures.

I fished one night where I had clear surface ice, and placed a bunch of small LED flashlights (the kind the sell in bulk packs). Each light was facing down on the ice, and illuminated enough of an area to eventually attract a school of sunfish.

Although I was targeting panfish, you may also catch any number of species, as long as they can see enough to find your lure/bait.

Gimmick?  Hell no. I have one submersible LED light wand as part of my night time fishing arsenal.

You DO have to check on whether your state allows them or not, but that's all on you.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2022, 12:28 PM »
i looked it up for ya.  1 amp draw. vex battery should run it for few days.

My LED green light is bright and lasts a long time on either 12v sla or lithium . Green lights work as intended to bring up the plankton and eventually the prey or predator fish . Fishing the outer edge of the light is better than right on top of the light. They should be set up before dark ..I place mine about half way down in the water column..note my lake is 12-15 fow at the deepest.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2022, 12:45 PM »
I have one of these LED underwater lights. One of the dumbest things I ever bought, but I’m a sucker for most gimmicky things. Illegal here too.

Not a gimmick if you're fishing Smelt. Pretty much a standard around these parts.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2022, 12:31 PM »
Anybody power the light off of their flasher battery? How long can you run them both at the same time?
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2022, 10:38 PM »

It's a gimmick bro even though you think otherwise.

I know otherwise....

I use the stock battery that came with my livescope bundle to run my shanty led's and up to 2 green lights. 

Offline Ricko54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2022, 01:41 PM »
Well I haven't tried mine to determine whether or not it's a gimmick. I can tell you this though, no education is free, it'll always cost you in one way or another to learn something.
From what I've read in various places, it's best to set the light up and running 2-3 hours before dark settles in.

So without using it yet, I think it's probably a safe bet to assume putting it down in a hole right at dark isn't going to have you hauling in fish ten minutes later. Thus the reason for setting it up during daylight going into the dark.

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2022, 04:26 PM »
if you set up in an area with fish and bait, it don't take long.  you get a swarm of minnows in 15min. and fish under them in 30min most nights.  i use finder to scout out some fish before dark but don't set up on them until dark sets in.  now some nights it just flat won't draw fish.  seems the brighter the moon the less effective it is.  it works about 80% of the time though.

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2022, 04:26 PM »
oops, one of those goofy double posts ?

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2022, 04:36 PM »
I know otherwise....

I use the stock battery that came with my livescope bundle to run my shanty led's and up to 2 green lights.

No gimmicks needed here.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2022, 01:20 PM »
Not a gimmick, just a convenient improvement on an old slushie technique.
As a kid I had family members that would suspend mason jars w/ green glo sticks in em at night to catch slabs. That was in the 70's & i still do it sometimes early hours around the stabbin cabin while dangling an l.e.d. golfball to rile up da pike.
Fish seek food, bugs are food.

Swift Tines

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2022, 02:27 PM »
Prior to buying a light id use a super bright led and a mountain dew bottle.  Pretty sure I learned the trick here.

Offline QuinnTheEskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2022, 08:34 PM »
If you want to try it an inexpensive green light can be purchased on Amazon or eBay.  The ones I’ve seen work just fine but aren’t very durable so you have to be careful with them, especially the cords. 
You have to start in the vicinity of fish and give it some time to work.  I fished last night with a friend, 32’ of water, I put out 2, 24” lights 5’ down and about 15’ from my shack.  Between dark and 9 we caught a bass, 20 perch and 40 crappie.   I was there 2 hours before dark but hardly saw a fish on the Vexilar until after dark.  It works well in the winter but even better in the summer unless there’s a full moon bright night, I’ve never done well if it was too bright out. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Mar 14, 2022, 09:59 PM »
Thats where mine are from I think it was 20 bucks for 2 of them. Do agree about the quality but a pait of wire strippers and new aligator clips and they fix easily.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Mar 14, 2022, 10:02 PM »

No gimmicks needed here.

Must be Roland Martin's cousin.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 15, 2022, 10:34 AM »
I know otherwise....

Which light do you use? I'm considering buying one

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 15, 2022, 11:34 AM »
I have a couple Hydro-Glow light for ice/fresh and saltwater squid jigging. They are well constructed and anodized aluminum and very bright. On the smaller one I cut off the alligator clips and crimped on Ancor marine heat shrink 1/4” female spade connectors for use on a SLA or Lithium battery. Works like a charm.
If you go to the Hydro-Glow website and click on the sale button they have the 12” HG250 for $30(as of today).It’s usually around $80. Very bright and mine have proved durable in salt water use.

Offline QuinnTheEskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 15, 2022, 12:32 PM »
I too use Hydroglow lights, I have 2, 12” ones and 2, 24” ones.  They’re very well made, but there are others out there that are as well.

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 16, 2022, 07:57 AM »
Must be Roland Martin's cousin.

Steve McQueen got nothing on me

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Mar 17, 2022, 05:38 AM »
Which light do you use? I'm considering buying one

Dont remember, generic stuff.  Brand doesnt matter at all. 

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 17, 2022, 08:03 AM »
Dont remember, generic stuff.  Brand doesnt matter at all.

True, but there are about a billion on Amazon and quality can vary. :)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Mar 17, 2022, 08:30 AM »
Dont care, paid 20 bucks I think.  Been using the same ones 2 seasons now. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.