Author Topic: windbreak  (Read 1142 times)

Offline woodyeckes

• IceShanty Rookie
windbreak
« on: Feb 20, 2022, 08:02 PM »
Fished today in quite a bit of wind outside not in a shack.....thinking some sort of windbreak needed...say a tarp with 3 poles to block the wind....anyone already down this road for some insight before I reinvent the wheel??  woody eckes

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: windbreak
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2022, 10:01 PM »
Already invented. The Shappell FX50

https://pin.it/5MPjnvJ

I think it’s discontinued though.
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline Angola Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2022, 10:44 AM »
On Erie we used to use a modified painter's dropcloth with 1" diameter maple trees as poles.  Loops or sleeves were sewn on the ends for the end poles.  A hand auger with a 1" wood bit was used to make holes in the ice for the poles.  Any length drop cloth can be used - depending on how many will be fishing in front of it.
"I catch the fish, you cook the fish.  The only time we're together is when we eat the fish"

Offline woodyeckes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2022, 04:55 AM »
I'm looking at fabricating an extended windbreak for more than one angler or hole.  Adjustable height and length.  Have in mind to start with a 10 x 20 tarp and see what it turns into....the panfish bite up here in Wisconsin is so light that any amount of wind masks the tiny jiggle or pause on my spring bobber setups; plus it would be more comfortable fishing out of the wind and warmer too....I realize it's only ice fishing...how simple or complicated can I make it?  Time will tell.....

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2022, 07:54 PM »
Before the invention of pop ups or flip overs, we used to have quite a crowd (mostly eastern european) that put up windbreaks in a "V" or "U" shaped pattern depending on the wind.  They used 3-5 poles about 2-3 inches in diameter inserted into appropriate sized holes drilled in the ice.  Each pole had a support on the inside of the shelter area, something like a support for a clothes line pole.  They used tent material about 4-5 feet high.  Some of these groups brought out small open wood burners to cook on and sit around, fired by charcoal.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2022, 08:35 PM »
I'm looking at fabricating an extended windbreak for more than one angler or hole.  Adjustable height and length.  Have in mind to start with a 10 x 20 tarp and see what it turns into....the panfish bite up here in Wisconsin is so light that any amount of wind masks the tiny jiggle or pause on my spring bobber setups; plus it would be more comfortable fishing out of the wind and warmer too....I realize it's only ice fishing...how simple or complicated can I make it?  Time will tell.....

Google up "wood pile tarps". You can get them 4-6 feet wide and varying lengths. A 6x24 poly tarp runs around $25.00.

Offline isaaccarlson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2022, 04:32 PM »
I take my doghouse blind.  It folds up to the size of a pillow and I can carry it like a backpack.  My son and I love it because we can play cribbage without gloves while we fish.  We get some weird looks, but it works great.  We use a couple of screw in ice anchors to hold it down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.