Author Topic: Best bibs  (Read 4404 times)

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
Best bibs
« on: Feb 02, 2022, 01:54 PM »
I searched the archives and couldn't find a recent answer on this so apologies to re-hash.

My bibs are about shot. I'm looking at getting a new set. Any advice is welcome. Flotation is nice but not a necessity. My bibs are almost too warm most days. I also would like some decent knee padding.

Thanks!

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best bibs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2022, 02:21 PM »
Big fan of Strikers

I have the Climate bibs and they are so warm I almost never wear a coat.  And only a pair of sweat pants underneath

I know a few folks with various models (hardwater, trekker, etc) and they are all very satisfied

Good time of year to buy a new set of bibs. Some good deals probably will pop up over the next couple months

Offline djn249

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2022, 02:25 PM »
Very happy with Striker Ice Predator

Offline perchfanatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2022, 02:38 PM »
Same for me Striker Hardwater. Not sure where you are located, but check out Reeds Outdoors located in Walker Minnesota. They have a great website plus I just helped a friend order a Striker Hardwater coat and bibs on Monday 1-31-22 he called me today 2-2-22 and told me they just arrived in Nebraska. They have a list price of $539 for the set, but Reeds has a end of season sale right now on Striker. 30% of with the CODE "ICE". Total cost for my friends was $377 before tax and shipping.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2022, 02:38 PM »
I have the Striker Predator bibs.  I typically only wear sweat pants underneath.  They're plenty warm, but almost too much on warmer days and they're more bulky than I'd like.  The knee padding on them is nice, which obviously adds to the bulk.  I feel like I'm in a "fat suit" wearing them.  I think I could have bought a size smaller.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2022, 03:08 PM »
I know it is the whole suit but love my Windrider suit, get the whole thing for almost the cost of just the bibs for other brands, like the floatation as well.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2022, 03:18 PM »
Striker Predators for me, best I have had so far

Offline Uglymug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2022, 03:20 PM »
I have Strikers and love them. My buddy just got the new Strikemaster floating ones and they seem pretty well made as well. I'd probably try out a few different ones and buy the ones that fit you the best.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2022, 03:26 PM »
Im different i guess and not a fan of striker.i think you can get the same quality  while spending less,a suit like icerunner.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2022, 03:29 PM »
Im different i guess and not a fan of striker.i think you can get the same quality  while spending less,a suit like icerunner.

X2, got the windrider bibs a couple years ago and the coat this year... Been happy with them so far.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline FrozenJig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2022, 03:50 PM »
Good topic, I too am in need of new bibs.  Usually I use the same bibs for ice fishing that I do for hunting but having knee pads to keep dry sure would be nice
Look for the beer flag, that's where i'm at

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2022, 04:15 PM »
Do a SEARCH on the make and model you are interested in lots of past treads/posts and reviews. My suggestion is a floating pair of bibs w/100g of insulation .full zip to hip and adjustable inseam . Things are shaking up with sales and clearance ..check the best deals thread daily .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2022, 07:43 PM »
the strikers are almost too much. i feel like im wearing a space suit.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2022, 08:09 PM »
My first two priorities for bibs are Gore-Tex and uninsulated. Gore-Tex because none of the other waterproof breathable fabrics perform as well and uninsulated so I can pick my base and mid layers to get the right insulation for the day. Uninsulated means no floatation because the foam is insulation. Next is how they fit and is the stitching going to hold up. Last time I bought bibs I chose Cabela's guidewear. That was in 2013 and I still use them at least two days a week from December to  April. 4 of those winters I worked at a ski resort and wore them 5 days a week for work plus any fishing or free skiing days. I would buy them again without hesitation. They do have a couple weaknesses. The pockets are made of such thin material that they ripped out after a couple years and the first time you need to take a leak you will realize that the zipper could be better designed.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2022, 08:39 PM »
Striker Predators are perfect for the NorthEast IMHO! Like someone else said I rarely wear the jacket unless single digits or very windy. When in the 40’s I just wear thin “lounge” pants underneath. Love the knee padding and thicker cordura around the lower legs that sheds the ice and slush kicked up by the auger. Nice to have thicker material down there to hold up to wear and tear too. Don’t think they are cumbersome at all. Just what you want in an ice fishing bib.  @)

Where's the FISH?!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2022, 09:18 PM »
I like my Carhartt Yukon extremes.  They are plenty warm.  They don’t float, but I usually don’t go out until it is at least 6”-8”.  Right now, it is 24” thick.

Offline Ranger275

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2022, 03:18 AM »
I was also in the market for a new ice suit this year and purchased the Eskimo Superior suit. Warm, wind and water resistance is excellent. Striker also makes excellent bibs! I decided on the Eskimo partly because the suit was on sale, 100 dollars off, and I could use a GovX discount. ;D

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2022, 06:15 AM »
Well, I'm surprised that Guide Gear Bibs are not sold anymore. I have a pair and love them. Several years now and not a stitch needs to be repaired. Plenty of knee pad on these.
<===Lefty===

Offline The Walri

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2022, 06:50 AM »
Striker hardwater. Best ice fishing purchase I’ve made!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2022, 07:11 AM »
Well, I'm surprised that Guide Gear Bibs are not sold anymore. I have a pair and love them. Several years now and not a stitch needs to be repaired. Plenty of knee pad on these.

I seen them early in the season..think they sold out ..I gifted a pair to my buddy's kid several (5 plus) years ago ..still running strong ..He had to grow into them some..but hasnt out grown them yet.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2022, 07:13 AM »
Really love my Hardwaters.  A little bulky, but I'll take that sacrafice for warmth any day.

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2022, 08:09 AM »
anyone have the eskimo bibs?

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2022, 08:13 AM »
or ice armor?

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2022, 08:42 AM »
or ice armor?
I have the Ascent, last years model though. No issues on mine, more than warm enough for me.

Online cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2022, 08:45 AM »
or ice armor?

I have the Ice Armor Rise bibs.  These have a really good knee pad in them.  Plenty of room and warm.  I like the fit they have.  I would say to try on a pair if you can.  Adjustable bottoms and the gator lining helps alot.  I would recommend these.  Have been seeing alot of the Ice fishing stores moving these on sale right now so now is a good time to look. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2022, 03:12 PM »
Arctic Armor here. The red ones, probably 15 years old. They're floaters. Feel a bit clamy at time but I got used to it, warm as heck..

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2022, 03:41 PM »
I picked up one of these suits this season and I have to say for the price I was impressed very adequate for cold weather, very rarely need to wear the jacket unless it's below zero or windy, and being able to get both pieces of the suit bibs and coat for the price of a strike master bib is a big bonus imo

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2022, 03:46 PM »
I picked up one of these suits this season and I have to say for the price I was impressed very adequate for cold weather, very rarely need to wear the jacket unless it's below zero or windy, and being able to get both pieces of the suit bibs and coat for the price of a strike master bib is a big bonus imo
i have striker and icerunner suits and for the money i would buy the icerunner again.striker nope.

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2022, 03:50 PM »
I would definitely agree! plenty of pockets in the icerunner suit, I also like the cross piece on the bibs connecting the vertical straps I have worn other bibs lacking this were they continued to fall down during the day a slight annoyance but anywho I would highly recommend the icerunner suit to anyone looking for one

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2022, 04:00 PM »
I am year 2 on Eskimo legend bibs & they are set up pretty nice . I tried striker & didn’t care for them . I had the old frabill ice suit bibs for 15 years & wore them into a rag . Lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.