Author Topic: What size?  (Read 7003 times)

Offline PikeFisherman325

• IceShanty Rookie
What size?
« on: Nov 24, 2017, 08:27 PM »
I know it might be a personal preference, but what size lures do you guys use for crappies? Do you prefer bigger jigs and spoons, or smaller?

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What size?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2017, 08:36 PM »
i start out with my favorites and adjust from there.  if they are hard to come by, meaning i can see them and they r just not biting i down size and change colors.  if that does not work i change lures.  if that does not work i just get drunk and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Offline PikeFisherman325

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2017, 07:21 AM »
Thanks alot, this will definetly help me! And hopefully your getting drunk on soda!!! :)   :D

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2017, 08:49 AM »
Mostly use 3 and 4 mm Fiska's with a whip for the plastic.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2017, 05:12 PM »
I normally use a 4mm or 5mm jig with a 1.5" spiketail from VMC (or a similar sized plastic). I have used 1/16oz slender spoons with some luck as well but I swap out the small treble hook for a #10 shrimpo jig/plastic. I havent tried anything like a #4 Rippin Rap but I have heard some do well with those too

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2017, 09:30 PM »
i start out with my favorites and adjust from there.  if they are hard to come by, meaning i can see them and they r just not biting i down size and change colors.  if that does not work i change lures.  if that does not work i just get drunk and enjoy the peace and quiet.

x2 - except for the get drunk part.  ;D

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2017, 08:30 AM »
Whatever size it takes to imitate the basic forage they're after. 3mm or 4mm  Fiskas are the norm locally but don't underestimate 1/64 to 1/100 oz lead heads for a nice true horizontal presentation with #10 hooks with plastics.

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:55 AM »
mostly small spoons(1/8 and smaller) and jigs(size 8-14), but on waters with big crappie i'v caught them on 1/4 spoons.
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2017, 11:17 AM »
Sometimes bigger to keep the runts from biting.  Sometimes smaller/smallest cuz only the big ones will snack on the smallest of lures.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2017, 09:35 PM »
I usually use a small diamond head mamooska. they work great
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:30 PM »
Oh man, what a question. Sometimes it takes a 3mm tungsten with one spike or a micro plastic, sometimes it takes a w3 jigging rap with minnow head. All depends on the fish's mood.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:12 AM »
i usually go pretty small for crappies, even the really big ones. i usually rely on soft plastics though. haven't really tried spoons or rapalas while i'm on a crappie bite, but i've caught them on crankbaits and stuff in the summer, so theoretically, they'll hit the ice fishing equivalent to crankbaits in winter.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:37 PM »
I know it's talking about size, but I think what is part of the equation is hook up.  You need to examine where the hook up is and exactly how the bite is.

When the crappies are seriously inhaling lures.  It's more than likely they're onto an aggressive bite or keying in on large lures.  A fish has to be or else those larger prey's will escape.  It's amazing that crappies will take in a 1/2 oz spoon into their mouths.  At times like these small lures are often ignored.  Like for live bait as example.  Crappie minnows gets nothing.  Put the bigger fathead minnow and boom, bite is on.

When the crappies are just nosing or pushing the lure, nibbling on it.  They're on a curiosity mode.  Maybe they're lethargic and fasting.  Maybe they're half asleep and can't see so well in that dingy water.  It maybe the smallest bit of plastic on a single hook with no more than a little brass fly head or glass bead as weight.  Only the lightest of spring bobber or for line watchers, any changes to the line is the indication of lure movement.  As since it's not a guarantee bite, if the fish is just nosing the lure.

Here is where it gets tricky.  We all have experienced on both end of the spectrum where you hook set immediately and it's pinned or you wait for that tell tale signal where the fish starts to swim away with lure in lips and then finally put a lazy hook set to snare them in the lips.  I recall the days of the slip bobber tactics where you weigh it out just right.  Where the bobboer lays on it's side on a weightless bite or the slightly submerged bobber where the fish just barely so much as pulled it a few millimeters downwards.  What I looked for is when the bobber is going for a swim and being dragged at least a foot or more.  That's when I put the hook set just as I feel the weight of the fish.  In simplicity I had always counted to five.  From experience putting the hook set early has often yield on a miss.  The later hook set has a higher hook up ratio.  Too late and it's often back to empty.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2019, 06:28 AM »
Has nothing to do with size question but after I release a fish and if needed rebait I always check to make sure my horizontal jigs are in fact horizontal. it makes a difference.
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.