Author Topic: Ice Cleats  (Read 6856 times)

Offline Detcuse

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Cleats
« Reply #30 on: Nov 28, 2014, 10:04 PM »
Yaktrax haven't failed me yet

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 28, 2014, 11:58 PM »
My 2 cents kahtoolas work for me, I've tried them all.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Kyle_J

« Reply #32 on: Nov 29, 2014, 12:48 AM »
Kahtoola spikes for me, worth every penny.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #33 on: Nov 29, 2014, 04:09 AM »
Yaktrax haven't failed me yet

X2.  I have the XTR Extreme's  with the spikes not coils and they've worked very well...no complaints. They have them on sale at their website right now 50% off....$24.99.
 Kahtoola's may be my next spikes whenever these fail...haven't heard a bad review about them yet.

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #34 on: Nov 29, 2014, 08:06 AM »
http://www.sunnysports.com/p-snshtc/hillsound-trail-crampon              The best IMO!!

I do like the superior traction these offer but:

1) they do not fit the larger boots very well. My Sorel's are big and bulky which caused the rubber to over stretch and most of the grommets ripped. Replaced them with key rings.

2) the large spikes are uncomfortable on ice with no snow. Standing for long periods of time starts hurting the balls and heels of myfeet.

3) if there is a little snow on the ice and it gets wet, large snowballs accumulate on the spikes.
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Nov 29, 2014, 08:57 AM »
kahtoolas on sale at one of or sponcers,kittery trading post for 42.99 no shipping. i ordered a pair yesterday

Offline frostbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 29, 2014, 09:49 AM »
Any of you Kahtoola users wear them with mickeys ? I wear a size 9 mickey and wonder if the XL size will fit.

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 29, 2014, 10:41 AM »
I do like the superior traction these offer but:

1) they do not fit the larger boots very well. My Sorel's are big and bulky which caused the rubber to over stretch and most of the grommets ripped. Replaced them with key rings.

2) the large spikes are uncomfortable on ice with no snow. Standing for long periods of time starts hurting the balls and heels of myfeet.

3) if there is a little snow on the ice and it gets wet, large snowballs accumulate on the spikes.

I agree, khatoolas work great for hard soled boots but for mickeys and pac boots that are flexible and wider they don't fit well and hurt to stand and walk on after awhile.  For those kinds of boots the Korkers or Jordan David's work a lot better.  It all depends on what kind of boots you have but if you try to stretch a pair of  Khatoolas over a mickey you probably won't be happy.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Nov 29, 2014, 11:08 AM »
Kahtoola's. Three years now without any problems. Tried many other brands over the years. Most either failed or just a plain waste o f money.

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #39 on: Nov 29, 2014, 11:54 AM »
Kahtoolas all the way! Have tried many over the years and these are by far the best.  Worth every penny!  I have them on size 13 Cabelas Inferno 2000's and they go easy and stay on!

Offline havejigwilltravel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Nov 29, 2014, 01:06 PM »
my korkers are over 25 years old. i changed the laces once. they work great on the ice, on the jetty or wading in the river.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Nov 29, 2014, 02:26 PM »
Buy the best and be done with it. I tried going the cheap route and have fallen twice. Got lucky both times that I didn't break anything. I would rather spend the money on the best cleats then have to spend it on a hospital bill for a broken arm or something else.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #42 on: Nov 29, 2014, 03:29 PM »
4th year on my Kahtoolas Microspike, My wife finally threw away her yaks last year after busting her butt one too many times.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #43 on: Nov 29, 2014, 06:13 PM »
can't stand the micro spikes. hurt my feet (as many others have mentioned already), high profile and you have to take higher steps to walk with them, can't wear them in the suit case shanty, can't drive with them on, pack snow tries to remove them from bottom of boots, hard to get the chains to lay just right in my boot treads, can misplace one, the list goes on and on. i have a pair i don't wear if some one is looking. only worn twice and two times too many.

ice racing self cleaning and hardened screws designed for high speed ice racing, so you can definitely run with these on and no worries ever and ALWAYS ON, so no fore/after thought if they need to go on or off, to enter a shanty, to drive, no extra bending over ...

the next most comfortable ones are the type that fit in front of the heel, but lack contact in too many areas. handy to have to pass out for those whom have none tho

i've tried most of them and am happy with racing screws the most, still, nothing is perfect

17.74 for 250 ct, 7 cents @ screw, free ship, no tax. can do 8 boots/4 pair
http://www.amazon.com/Kold-Kutter-Series-Snowmobile-Traction/dp/B008N6AQXO/ref=sr_1_2/176-7517808-8995244?ie=UTF8&qid=1417361730&sr=8-2&keywords=kold+kutter+ice+screws

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Nov 29, 2014, 07:54 PM »
   x 100 !! on the KAHTOOLAS !   awesome !

Offline th30dd7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Nov 29, 2014, 08:52 PM »
Bought a pair of Yaktrax XTR today and they already broke. Complete garbage.

Offline jayfk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Nov 29, 2014, 08:56 PM »
On my 3rd year with Kahtoola. Wouldn't think of using anything else!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #47 on: Nov 29, 2014, 08:59 PM »

good to know, thanks for sharing!
should be able to get a refund being so new?

Offline th30dd7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Nov 29, 2014, 09:00 PM »
I bought them at Cabelas for $60. They will be going back to them in the morning. Found out I could have ordered them from Yaktrax website for $25.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Nov 30, 2014, 02:27 AM »
Kahtoola Micro Spikes for me. they paired up great with my Sub Zero Boots. comfortable to walk in and have not slipped yet.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #50 on: Nov 30, 2014, 05:18 AM »

Wow! Sorry to hear that! What broke if I may ask? I've had mine for several seasons without an issue yet....

Offline mrotho2002

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • true
« Reply #51 on: Nov 30, 2014, 06:40 AM »
Khatoola microspikes  had mine for 7 seasons now and still holding together very well I bought some cheaper ones that look the same and the rubber broke where the spikes attach they are more expensive but worth it as far as I'm concerned
Team walleyice

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #52 on: Nov 30, 2014, 07:15 AM »

Like Bart and Wopper Stopper I like Kahtoola Microspikes . They are fully guaranteed for 2 years. :flex:

Offline th30dd7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:17 AM »
Wow! Sorry to hear that! What broke if I may ask? I've had mine for several seasons without an issue yet....

The rubber tore out. On the box they show steel eyelets in the rubber where the chains attach but on the product the eyelets don't exist. This is where the rubber gave out and the chain pulled off.

Offline bigpikekid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:29 AM »
i use overboots, i have insulated and uninsulated neos. i love them. Theyre water proof too, so i wear my sneakers under the insulated ones and my feet still sweat
"No man is an icicle to himself, but each a piece of the whole cube."

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:39 AM »
I'd love to get a pair of the Kahtoola Microspikes, but I'm not sure that their biggest size is big enough for me.  I wear size 14 boots and I'm not sure the XL will go over my boots, (they state that they only go up to 13.5.)  Anyone else have this problem??

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That hole ain't gonna drill it's self !
« Reply #56 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:29 PM »
Micro Spikes (x1000)
"More is lost to indecision than wrong decision"

Offline r3kenned

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:07 AM »
Kahtoola Micro Spikes!  Bought a pair last season, don't know how I ever ice fished without them. 

Offline r3kenned

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:41 AM »
who has the best prices on the K-microspikes and does anyone have pics? Thanks guys!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 01, 2014, 09:21 AM »
I went through a bunch of different kinds after cracking my coconut about 10 years ago on the ice. Can't really remember! The Kahtoolas are the Cadillac of the bunch and actually worth the money. I do like the idea of the racing spikes and may get some for my wife's winter hiking boots.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.