Author Topic: hook keepers for tipups  (Read 13112 times)

Offline Jiffyjerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
hook keepers for tipups
« on: Jan 28, 2013, 06:20 PM »
Anyone have any ideas other than sinking the treble or standard snelled hook into the spooled line then finding out next morning it is embedded or frozen from the day before? Has to be something out there to keep it out of the way,the spools without a drag will unravel though.
Got Bugs?

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: hook keepers for tipups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2013, 06:52 PM »
I use Beaver Dams. They have the flag attached to a spring attached to a board. The spring is folded against the board and the tip of the flag is inserted into a small hole on the spool after the line is wrapped up.

What I do ((many other traps would allow you to also) is this. Once the line has been spooled back up, I flex the spring away from the trap to open up a coil on the spring. I insert the hook or strike rig in the open coil and then flex the flag into the folded position to pinch the hook and thus holding it when the tip is inserted into the hole on the spool.

I never cared for the imbedding the hook into the line method and rubber bands always end up breaking.

It works for me YMMV

WS

Offline Icebound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:48 PM »
a couple dabs of silicone caulk on the side of spool works great for me. Hook stays put.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:06 PM »
Small screw eyes screwed in the top of the board for beaver dam like tip ups
Gator Nation

Offline hippiemick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:20 PM »
I cut a wine cork in half and glue it on where it works best  per type of tip up .

Offline turkeyslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:36 PM »
I use a rubber band  to hold line around spool easy and cheap

Offline shanedoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:43 PM »
Instead of rubber bands I use my wife's hair Scrunchy but don't tell her!

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2013, 11:21 PM »
I use them for my hand wind jig poles
Gator Nation

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2013, 11:31 PM »
Seen these on t.v. but have not tried them yet.
Hook eze
http://www.hookeze.com.au/

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:11 AM »
I just made some couple days ago. Buy rool of thin black Velcro. Lowes or someplace has it. Cut off enough to wrap completely around spool with good inch or so overlap. Then buy 1/4 grommets. Put grommet 1/2 in or so from end. Hook you hook in grommet hole and wrap it around spool. Works great. Simple little project.

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:18 AM »
For those of you who keep your hook in spring, cork, or silicone. How do you keep line from unraveling? ESP when wrapping up steel leaders, or heavy flouro it's springy. Sure the hook stats put but my tipups don't have any tension. The spool is free spinning and line wil unravel.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2013, 10:10 AM »
For those of you who keep your hook in spring, cork, or silicone. How do you keep line from unraveling? ESP when wrapping up steel leaders, or heavy flouro it's springy. Sure the hook stats put but my tipups don't have any tension. The spool is free spinning and line wil unravel.

you may have over loaded the spool??? i only use about half of the line on most tip ups and it sit low on the spool but i do use stuff liek 45 # test too so it does over load the spool if you use the hole thing. i also use rubber bands doubled over for the hook and around the spool for the rest a couple time keeps the line on it seems. if you need me too i can shoot a photo of it ? may not work for all i do use single hooks there easyier to remove from the fish if it to small... i want to swich to circle hook but have heard soem negtives about them  not sure if it was true or not of course it was on the internet  lol's ...     

Offline ADKBIGBEN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2013, 10:50 AM »
i drilled a couple of small holes towards the outside of my reel...wind the line up and put the tip of the hook in the hole keeps everything neat and your hook stays in one place  :tipup:
may the beer be cold and your lines be tight

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2013, 11:02 AM »
you may have over loaded the spool??? i only use about half of the line on most tip ups and it sit low on the spool but i do use stuff liek 45 # test too so it does over load the spool if you use the hole thing. i also use rubber bands doubled over for the hook and around the spool for the rest a couple time keeps the line on it seems. if you need me too i can shoot a photo of it ? may not work for all i do use single hooks there easyier to remove from the fish if it to small... i want to swich to circle hook but have heard soem negtives about them  not sure if it was true or not of course it was on the internet  lol's ...   

Thanks. Maybe I do. Most spools are filled 1/4 in or less from the edge

Offline huntsfurfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2013, 11:11 AM »
I use velcro cable ties, they work on tip up spools, fly reels etc.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2013, 02:18 PM »
i drilled a couple of small holes towards the outside of my reel...wind the line up and put the tip of the hook in the hole keeps everything neat and your hook stays in one place  :tipup:
question, do you wind your leaders up on your spool too? 
Gator Nation

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2013, 03:47 PM »
I'm kinda new to tip-ups. I bought three last year, HT Polar Thermals that fit over the hole. One side of the spool is covered with black rubber to stick the hook into. Steel leader have a mind of their own so it takes just a little more control to rein them in, but it works. I could see where a dab of Silicone would work great.
My 2 added tip-ups for this year are HT Windlass Jigging Tip-ups. The hook cranks right up against the wind paddle and then the flag secures the spool from unwinding.

Also this year I bought some Fluorescent Light safety guards (this clear plastic) to cover my jigging rods while their in my rod bag. No more tangled rods and snagged nylon. Covers three rods at 32 inches each for $4.99.
Mike
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2013, 04:37 PM »

Thanks. Maybe I do. Most spools are filled 1/4 in or less from the edge

should be about a 1/8 inch from the spool lip. as long as you not packed over the lip. also do you use treble hooks? if so the rubber band trick will not work as well. cause you got two other hooks willing ot catch in to the line.  i don't like trebles casue they tend to kill small fish easier. i try to use a 3/0 bait holder when i can and were i can. i realy want to switch to circle hooks  but have heard they do not catch pike any one know if that is true?   

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2013, 04:54 PM »
this keeps my leaders nice and straight too.
Gator Nation

Offline ADKBIGBEN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2013, 05:21 PM »
i only wind the leaders up with the spool if im goin to use them soon if not i take them off and change them up when i use them again
may the beer be cold and your lines be tight

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2013, 10:04 PM »
 If you own a Jack Traps tip up they male a reel Hook holder.

Offline timbobber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2013, 11:21 PM »
on my regular tip-ups (3 sticks) I tape a piece of cork to the top of the horizontal stick so that when it is folded up the cork is near the flag. wrap up line at the end of the day, spool stops against the bottom of folded stick, stretch leader to the cork ( wrap once or twice around the folded tip-up if too long) and place hook in the cork. No fuss, no muss. Tangle free and the leader stays straight.

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2013, 11:28 PM »
I use 40 ups and use a screw eye at the top.  I than use a rubberband around the spool to keep tension.  Works great.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:09 AM »
doesn't the barb of the hook get caught in the scrunchy?

Offline Jiffyjerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:38 AM »
Thank you for all the great ideas guys, appreciate them all. I have the older tip ups that just free spool and no drag set up. I'll try one of those great ideas, ty again.
Got Bugs?

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:36 AM »
I use velcro cable ties, they work on tip up spools, fly reels etc.

X2, they work great!
Follow the bubbles...

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2013, 12:42 PM »
Rubber band. I tie a knot in the middle so it looks like a figure 8. Than slip the hook threw one loop, stretch the band out and loop the other loop around the spool.   Nice, cheap, and easy.

It also allows the line to dry by not covering it up.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2013, 04:27 PM »
doesn't the barb of the hook get caught in the scrunchy?
Not sure if this is what he meant but I guess I don't use what the heck they call scrunchy but it is the pony tail band. little tougher than a rubberband. And doesn't deteriorate from your oils in your skin.
Gator Nation

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2013, 09:52 AM »
I use a velcor strip long enough to wrap over the line and hook on the spool.  Works like a giant wide rubber band.  Make it wide ennough to cover the whole width of the spool.  Works for me...

Offline Uncle Lar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DON'T SHADOW THE HOLE
« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:07 PM »
I also do the velcro reel wrap. I use treble hooks on quick-strike rigs that tend to snag anything if left staring out at me, so the velcro works like a champ.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.