Author Topic: The winter roller coaster  (Read 372 times)

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The winter roller coaster
« on: Jan 25, 2020, 12:24 PM »
This has been a pretty strange winter this year.  We didn’t freeze up good until after thanksgiving and then we got dumped on with a ton of snow causing overflow all over the place.  Then about the middle of December we had our first push of 30 below temps that locked up the overflow and started building more ice.  That lasted for a week then it warmed up and snowed for a few days and then right back to 30 below.  It warmed up and snowed on New Year’s Day then the temps plummeted to 40 below for about two and a half weeks.  Earlier this week it warmed back up to single digits and snowed some more so that gave me a chance to get up to the lake to finally get some fishing in.  Well I’m sitting in my shack right now typing this and my thermometer on the wall is reading -23 so I guess I’ll go for a fur ride then hopefully it warms up to at least -20 so I can go out and get some fishing in.  The long range forecast literally looks like a temperature roller coaster, it’s supposed to stay cold till Tuesday when it warms back up and snows then thurs it drops right back down to -30.  Usually we get several weeks of -30+ then it warms up for several weeks, this up and down in a short time frame makes it really tough to get out and have fun.  Has anyone else been dealing with the roller coaster to?
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: The winter roller coaster
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2020, 12:51 PM »
Is down here, gets a little cold then warms up. Lakes that are froze don't have a lot of ice, but is fishable.  Starting last Wednesday started warming up, rained yesterday and supposed to be around 50 by the end of the week.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2020, 05:23 PM »
Yes, we have a coaster here in northern Indiana also.  Temperatures have been bouncing around freezing.  Just enough ice a couple of times to make it dangerous for guy's who don't know.  Have 3-4" on early locations now but it's been in the high 30s with rain the last day or so.  Now we have snow but not good freezing temps.  It's crazy when you can only get on the ice for a day or two and you have to go where the ice is and not where you want to fish.

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2020, 06:56 PM »
Here in Pennsylvania we haven't had any good ice making weather.  Was 70 degrees 2 weeks ago, teens last week, now close to 50 with rain today.  Definitely won't be getting any safe ice this season.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2020, 10:11 PM »
Currently 40F here in southern Maine , wind is howling and raining buckets!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.