Author Topic: Which is the best Ice Fishing Shanty?  (Read 3343 times)

Wife

Which is the best Ice Fishing Shanty?
« on: Dec 08, 2003, 02:21 AM »
Hi to all of you die hard fishermen!!

I am the wife of a hunter..when he is not hunting he is ice fishing or fishing and when he is not doing that he is golfing....than he is playing with his bow....I am the wife and his love of the outdoors is his mistress.

I need your help for his Christmas gift!!! I want to buy him a really good Shanty for ice fishing. What store is the best priced? I saw a couple on eBay 'New Clam 2000 Ice Fishing Shanty', 'Shappell 3000 Ice Fishing Shanty'. Are they good ones? I really don't want to spend more than $200.00. As I have already bought him many toys this season. The Shanty would have to have a window (some light-as I read lighting can be a problem). I want him to be warm, I want the Shanty to be light enough to for him to tote around (is that a factor??), it should last him a while (quality) and I also want him to be able to take his brother and bestfriend with him or just one of them!!  I am not sure what to exactly look for. HELP!!

I love my hubby and get him only the best!! When he is not with me, I want him to be having fun (outdoors) doing the stuff he loves.  

Any advice for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Wife of an outdoors man :)

Ice Fihin Nut

Re:Which is the best Ice Fishing Shanty?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2003, 06:14 AM »
Wow!!!! First of all, do you have a sister???? ;D Just kidding,,,, I have a Shapell 3000, had it for about 8 years now, and I love it! Great for 2 people, out of the elements, and easy setup!!! The one downside I find to it is that it is a pain to pull in heavy snow. But, I fixed that problem. Found a pair of skis in a garage sale, mounted some 2x4"s to them for a riser and the shanty goes on top. Pulls great now!!!! Just my 2 cents, I'm sure that others have differnt opinions, and different favorites. Just a thought, why not give him a gift certificate, and he can get what he wants???? Plus, the prices usually go down after xmas and the new year...... Good Luck!!!

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2003, 08:04 AM »
Both of those you stated are good units. The Shappell is about 10" taller, but I think the Clam 2000 has a little better tent material. I like the window better in the shappell because it sits a little lower. If I were your husband, I'd be happy with either one. Good Luck!!!
Ken                                          

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2003, 08:16 AM »
Hi Wife,
I have the shappell 3000dx, it has a carpeted floor with two good sized fishing trap doors, two big windows and if you get the optional skis and anchors it not only pulls easily, but it'll stay put once it's set up. It's a bit more money that you have budgeted, but it should last for many seasons of fishing. Since I upgraded to the 3000dx my wife even joins me now and it is roomy enough for us both to fish without bumping into each other. The deluxe model is made with heavier material and warms up VERY quickly after it is set up. Your husband is a very lucky man!

icefisher18

« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2003, 09:34 AM »
I have the Fish Trap Scout, it is great for one person, very light to pull, only about 37 lbs & sets up in seconds, and plenty of room
for storage.  Good luck.

Wife

« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2003, 11:35 AM »
Thank you so much for responding...I could just give him a gift certificate but I know finding the right shanty and getting it and giving it to him will be so special to him because I took the time to learn about something he enjoys. I will have to go to GM and other stores like that to check them out.

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Give me ice or give me death !!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2003, 05:10 PM »
i was just on e-bay and there's some good deals on shanties
some were damaged due to shipping but were fixed . looks
like that may the best bang for your buck .

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2003, 07:09 PM »
Wife,
You should write a book on how to treat your "Outdoor Husband" !!! I am sure that you would sell a copy to every nut on this site,so their (our) wives would know how to follow Your lead... :D :D :D
I have the 3000dx and it is a wonderful shack.
Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.