Author Topic: Hardside shanty plastic ski skins freezing back to the snow pack on a lake?  (Read 1335 times)

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey Everyone,

For those of you with aluminum hardside skidhouses that have the plastic bottom ski skins, do you find that they freeze back to the surface snow on the lake pretty quick after stopping? I now carry a couple 3" diameter cedar posts that hang off the back of my shanty to frequently pop loose the shanty after I've stopped for more than 5 minutes. If I stop and pull back away within a few minutes, I'm good....but anything more and guarantee it's not worth the effort to see if my Polaris Sportsman 600cc twin ATV (with tracks) will pull it loose.  It's kind of a weird condition, but all I can think of is there is just enough friction and heat built up to cause the ski skins to bond back to the snow pack?  I'm wondering if others have the same thing happening and if they've tried something to get rid of this kind of annoying part of a trip on the ice....especially if you're trying to move a lot to scout out the fish.  Thanks for whatever you guys can offer.....

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
I carry a stout 2x4 about five ft long as an adjuster. Helps to free it up off the ice and jog the shanty a bit while I winch it on the trailer.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Try putting on thicker uhmw.  I don’t know how thick your plastic is but I run 1/2 inch uhmw and have never had a problem with my skis sticking after I’ve been running. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
A few years ago my ski's did the same thing.  Got a little harder to pull then started sticking to the ice and even snow.  A friend said to use glide wax.  He put it on for me with a iron and it has been pretty good since.  Plastic needs something to break or prevent friction and prevent moisture absorption.  After normal scarring from ice and such, it leave enough ruff surface to adhere to the ice or snow. . The picture is the ski's after the glide wax.  Used to build up on the bottom in layers or clumps.  On top it would just build especially in wet or slushy conditions.  He put silicone spray or paste on top and the snow and ice just fall off.
https://i.imgur.com/4RzNS7N.jpg

It has started building again this season but I just gotta buy some glide wax and get er dun!
wish you many hook-ups

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
Same issue here with the freezing of skis. A dry spruce pole 3"" dia. 7' long for prying is part of the gear and is used always to make sure the (heavy) shack is loose. Otherwise the snowmobile just squats and spins the track through the snow crust to loose snow or ice. Recovery from that is not usually fun.
  Last year I started taking the four 2x6s about 20'' long. They have 3'' wide strips of puckboard screwed full length along the centre. The top edges of the 2x6s are bevelled. The plan is to lay them on the snow at right angles to the skis the correct distance apart so the shack can be driven up onto them. No stick to them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.