Author Topic: 12v Squirrel cage/blower fan  (Read 5281 times)

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
12v Squirrel cage/blower fan
« on: Nov 05, 2014, 03:51 AM »
i have a few 12 volt napa fans in my shack. and honestly i have not been happy with them.  seems they dont push the air like i would like. to give you a picture, i have a 7x12 enclosed shack, insulated. always had buddy heater heat, but this year i did a small wood stove.

now i know almost every shack gets that spot in the shack where it goes from 80* on the ceiling to 20* on the floor. so i thought i could use my napa fan and blow it down some home made duct work to the floor to circulate that hot air above the stove to the freezing damp floor. but im not getting the results that i want.

so my question to you guys, would a 12 v squirrel cage be practical? seems they would have a much better directional air flow.

are they hard on batteries?  are they loud? what size? would i get the air flow im looking for?

i just kinda thought the blower fans would be the cats meow when it comes to pushing air.

Offline legerski82

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 12v Squirrel cage/blower fan
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2014, 07:31 AM »
I bought a inline fan from in a inboard engine compartment off a boat and then used some dryer vent hose to run it onto floor of my snobear.  I think it's made by Atwood.

Offline sawblade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2014, 07:38 AM »
You'll need to make a housing for it. It draws air in the center and pushes it to the out side. They draw a lot of amps and if you have a standard 12v lead acid  battery and just hook it directly to the battery you should be able to make it all day on one charge.

Offline miner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2014, 11:17 AM »
I have the perfect solution for you since you have a wood stove like me. Its called an "ecofan". It is powered by the heat off your woodstove and requires no electricity power at all. It will circulate the air in your shack nicely. They are available at most hardware stores. Here is a link to one at Lowes. ;D

http://www.lowes.ca/stoves/ecofan-black-with-nickel-blade-blower-kit_g1612757.html
Wishin I was Fishin

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2014, 01:46 PM »
Here is the one I am putting in my wheel shack this year.  Inexpensive and quiet when I tested it. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROADPRO-RP1179BK-12-Volt-2-Speed-Fan-Black-Metal-/251642319271?pt=US_12_Volt_Portable_Car_Appliances&hash=item3a970d11a7&vxp=mtr

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2014, 02:02 PM »
Hey Eyes, do you know the diameter of that fan, by any chance? I like the looks of it...as in mounted above my workshop bench... ;)

Found this, might save ya a few bucks, maybe...http://www.toolfetch.com/roadpro-rp1179bk-12-volt-2-speed-fan-black-metal.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=DAS-RP1179BK&gclid=CMXZq7Ch5MECFYxDMgodcAcAgw
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2014, 04:25 PM »
Reb, it's sitting in my garage.  If I can remember I'll measure when I get home.  The seller on Ebay gave free shipping so I think I did alright.  It got here in two days as well. 

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2014, 04:42 PM »
Thanks, eyes!  :)

Offline ILKHRDWTR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2014, 06:08 PM »
Got my 12 volt from a truck stop, fairly quiet and does not draw a lot of juice.  Used mine for years.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2014, 06:19 PM »
Here is the one I am putting in my wheel shack this year.  Inexpensive and quiet when I tested it. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROADPRO-RP1179BK-12-Volt-2-Speed-Fan-Black-Metal-/251642319271?pt=US_12_Volt_Portable_Car_Appliances&hash=item3a970d11a7&vxp=mtr

yup, those are nice, but not what im looking for.  i want to take the heat at the ceiling and like someone said, take dryer hose and push it to the floor, almost like a heat ducts in a house.

looks pretty nice, but almost identical as the napa truck fan. i tried using one like this to vent to floor and air flow gets kinda weak by the time it hits the floor.

I have the perfect solution for you since you have a wood stove like me. Its called an "ecofan". It is powered by the heat off your woodstove and requires no electricity power at all. It will circulate the air in your shack nicely. They are available at most hardware stores. Here is a link to one at Lowes. ;D

http://www.lowes.ca/stoves/ecofan-black-with-nickel-blade-blower-kit_g1612757.html

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2014, 08:13 PM »
Thanks, eyes!  :)
Sorry Reb.  I meant to measure but forgot.  Honey do projects and now I'm gone for 7 days.  I'm thinking it is 7" or 8" across and feels like it moves quite a bit of air.  If I can remember I'll measure it next week if you are really curious.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2014, 08:35 PM »
No prob, eyes. Cool enough in the garage right now, that I don't need a fan. ;D

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2014, 07:43 AM »
7x12 shack should be big enough for a ceiling fan.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 11, 2014, 10:32 AM »
I used computer fans in my last shack and they worked well.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2014, 03:49 PM »
I found a pancake fan at a surplus store, taped some flex duct to it & attached the pipe to the wall at ceiling height above my heater. the fan rests on the floor and can be pointed in any direction sucking the warm air down to floor level. i used to have an oscillating fan, but it was too noisy.  ;D

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2014, 04:05 PM »
I'd say if you really want a warm floor install radiant heat.  Hang a small water tank off your wood stove and plumb pex tubing under the floor encased with foam.  Add a small 12v water pump to circulate the rv fluid.  Now that's using your dipstick jimmy!
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2014, 04:06 PM »
I found a pancake fan at a surplus store, taped some flex duct to it & attached the pipe to the wall at ceiling height above my heater. the fan rests on the floor and can be pointed in any direction sucking the warm air down to floor level. i used to have an oscillating fan, but it was too noisy.  ;D
that's a good idea of the fan at the bottom instead of the top of the pipe.

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2014, 09:01 AM »
Sorry Reb.  I meant to measure but forgot.  Honey do projects and now I'm gone for 7 days.  I'm thinking it is 7" or 8" across and feels like it moves quite a bit of air.  If I can remember I'll measure it next week if you are really curious.

The fan is 6 1/2" across the tips of the blades.

Offline Ice_Addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2014, 11:57 AM »

Do you have any pics of this that you could post? I am having trouble visualizing how it works. Sounds interesting though!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.