Author Topic: Wood stove heat shield material  (Read 13946 times)

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wood stove heat shield material
« on: Jan 23, 2012, 05:37 PM »
Hi, I recently upgraded the heating in my hut from unvented propane to a proper woodstove.  The issue is that I don't have access or money for any tin for a heat shield or flashing.  I was thinking I could use some aluminum foil foil taped to the walls behind the stove to reflect the heat back, or maybe a "heat blanket" (one of those reflective emergency blankets) placed i behind the stove.  Do you really need flashing around the hole through the wall where my stove pipe will exit?  Could there really ever be enough heat leaving the stove pipe to ignite the wooden wall?

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Wood stove heat shield material
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:00 PM »
Absolutely there could be enough heat from a stove pipe to ignite the wood wall. For a heat shield behind/along side a wood stove to work properly it will need an air space at the bottom and between itself and the wall. I don't want to put a damper on your plans, but I'd hate to see you set yer shack on fire too.

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2012, 07:12 PM »
OK, so I will take your advisement.  I am going to get 3 big turkey roasting pans from the dollar store, and a roll of flashing from the hardware store.  The turkey pans will be for underneath and for the walls behind.  I will bend them into a shape that leaves an inch or so air gap between the pan and the wall, and covers the most area.  I hope the rolls of flashing will be strong enough to support my stove pipe.  I think they have 5 feet of the flashing stuff for 11 bucks at home hardware, so if I fold it over and use like 5 1 foot squares to feed the pipe through the wall I should be ok I hope.  I only have 17 dollars for all of this, wish me luck!

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2012, 07:16 PM »
If you have a spare piece of stove pipe, you can open it up and flatten it out, that makes a great heat shield.  Keep any heat shield at least an inch away from the wall, that will let the air circulate behind it.  Yes, make a shield going through the wall too, or you might be burning a hole bigger than you need for the chimney.
Any metal like an old garbage can can be opened up for a heat shield too.  There must be something laying around for you to use.

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2012, 07:34 PM »
A piece of furnace ducting would work great or a piece of tin roofing that's what i used. Hope you get it figured out good luck. :tipup:. If your short on funds go check out the scrap metal pile at your local dump.

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2012, 07:34 PM »
Well good luck to you. I don't know where yer at, but if yer near a Menards/Home Depot you'd be better served using some galvanized steel sheet metal. A 6" x 5' piece of duct pipe, flattened out, will yield a piece about an 18" x 60" piece. A couple of these should give you enough material to do what you need to do and last much longer than aluminum flashing material.

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:33 AM »
I am going to use a couple old licence plates that I have in the back of my truck as the flashing for the wall hole, and will check out the hardware store today for some cheap metal of some sort.  Thanks guys.  Being poor sucks, but being poor and burning down your hut sucks worse!

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2012, 07:47 AM »
9am53,
  Wish you were closer I'd be more than happy to give you a few left over pieces from my build .
I got the tin metal roofing at Home Depot for  20.00 2ft x 10ft sheet . I know money's tight but this is something not to cut on !
 I know several guys who have found pieces in the scrap yard .
Best of luck and be safe !
---- Joe ----

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2012, 06:21 AM »
No worries, I got a pair of steel shelves from work that I used for the bottom and sides of the stove, and I used a pair of old license plates for the wall flashing.  I used it all weekend and it worked great!

THanks all, I feel more comfortable nowing I won't burn my little shanty down :)

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2012, 02:16 PM »
Glad to hear !
---- Joe ----

Offline icecruuzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2012, 10:43 AM »
A quick and easy way to get your stove pipe through the wall is a vent pipe roof flange, there only a few dollars, and fit 3" or 4" stove pipe  perfectly once the rubber part is removed, but i see you already have it figured out!! Happy Fishin!  @)

New Hampshire for Damn Sure!

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2012, 10:52 AM »
If it not to late...hardi board from the depot or lowes. two 3x5 sheets or one will be enough. Pretty inexpensive really...

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2012, 09:32 AM »
icecruuzer - looks like you're ready to move in for the long haul with that pot bellied stove and pots and pans hanging up there. Very nice setup!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2012, 10:33 PM »
icecruuzer,
   Like the stove ! Very nice !
---- Joe ----

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2012, 12:43 PM »
If you know anyone that has a old metal folding closet door they work good. I have one in my shack it works good

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.