Author Topic: Building a "sled" for a flip over, some questions  (Read 4919 times)

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
Building a "sled" for a flip over, some questions
« on: Nov 14, 2010, 01:26 PM »
I'm going to build a sled to put my flip over on to lift it off the ice and make it easier to pull. I bought a couple of skis, they are about 5 foot and I don't know much...well anything really...about skiing but I think they are a cross country ski. Pretty thin and the tip curls up quite a bit.

Was planning on using 2x4's, but 2x2's would be lighter and since I pull everything out by hand I'd like to save as much weight as possible. I wanted to be able to break this down (I haul all my ice gear in a car) so I was think about building it in 5 pieces that I could quickly put together. Each ski would have a really wide "U" screwed to it with the open end facing the ski, that would probably be about 1' high. I'd cut 3 boards probably about 2.5-3' each and put some sort of bracket on each end so that 2 of them could be slid onto the tops pieces that are connected to the ski acting as a cross brace. The 3rd piece would go between the the two front pieces attached to the skis and have 2 eyelet screws/bolts that I could tie onto to pull it. I figured this would allow me to pull both skis at equal speeds and not cause the sled to "twist" as I pull it. I'll probably need to put some sort of lock on this to keep it from falling off when I stop.

Not sure if you guys can follow this, but it looks good in my head  ::). My questions are:

Will these type of skis work?
Are the 2x2's going to be strong enough or will I need to use 2x4's?  Needs to hold a Trap II, Jiffy gas auger, little buddy heater, fishing rods and tackle, Ice 55 flasher....random other stuff. Putting it all in the Trap when transporting.
Will the overall design work (assuming I explained it well enough)? I get quite a bit of snow so I was thinking 1' or so should be high enough. Maybe extend the base to make it more stable?

Any other input on ideas or things to watch out for is appreciated. Pictures would be awesome too. I couldn't find the other thread, know its here somewhere though so I'll keep looking. I'll probably begin working on it in a week or so.

Thanks and sorry for writing a book  ;)

Offline crazie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Building a "sled" for a flip over, some questions
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2010, 01:51 PM »

I think i used 2x6 and ripped them in half the plywood on the top locks everything in and it surprisingly sturdy still not done with it tho

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2010, 01:58 PM »
Very similar to what I was thinking, but with my cross pieces being removable. How easily does it pull?

Offline crazie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2010, 03:43 PM »
its really easy to pull i have people with jet sled and no hut that have to stop more that i do.  the skis are a must.  someone allways has a pair layin around that they not want anymore.  just remember to counter sink the screws in the bottom of the skis.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2010, 05:29 PM »
There it is! Thanks for the link smitty  ;D

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2010, 05:35 PM »
Here's what I'm running now!

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2010, 05:36 PM »
Smitty that is almost exactly what I was thinking. Your idea is definately better having the notches for the cross braces though. Seems like it would be more stable. How do you like it and does it pull good through deep snow? How long are the skis?

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2010, 05:37 PM »
I mounted a Thule rack to a pair of cross-country skis. I use it to pull my 1man portable when the snow gets deep or I have to pull by hand ,long distance. I use an old backpak harness , clipped to the portable with a JetSled XL behind that. Stabilicers or snowshoes and I`m off!

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2010, 05:48 PM »
X-country skis work better then downhill, imo.  So you got the right skis.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2010, 05:12 AM »
Smitty that is almost exactly what I was thinking. Your idea is definately better having the notches for the cross braces though. Seems like it would be more stable. How do you like it and does it pull good through deep snow? How long are the skis?
Very good , it rides on top of the snow, haven't had a problem yet, the key is to have a long rope. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2010, 10:34 PM »
How about this?  These guys sell them with the canvas/frame.  They look really cool.  This is a picture from the back.

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2010, 11:47 PM »
I built a sled with x-country skis, was real hard to pull. Talked to friends that ski and they said x-country bite in the snow and down hill slide.. got a pair of downhill and they work great.
Lite, and wheels are removeable
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/fishin-jim/P1050105.jpg[/img]]
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/fishin-jim/P1120110.jpg[/img]]
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2010, 06:39 AM »
FishinJim,

How are the skis fastened to the PVC?

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2010, 06:45 AM »
I built a sled with x-country skis, was real hard to pull. Talked to friends that ski and they said x-country bite in the snow and down hill slide.. got a pair of downhill and they work great.
Lite, and wheels are removeable
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/fishin-jim/P1050105.jpg[/img]]
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/fishin-jim/P1120110.jpg[/img]]

Nice !
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline FenDog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2010, 06:49 AM »
My guess is simply screws up through the ski into the caps / PVC. It appears he may have backed the caps inside with something (wood would work) from seeing the bolts or screws he has through the joints.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2010, 08:07 AM »

I only paid $5 for the cross country ones, so if they don't work no big loss. I'll just find a cheap pair of down hills and swap them out.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2010, 08:37 AM »
I have my Thule rack sled (portable goes on it) on cc skis as well as my sons gear sled on cc skis- they slide great. I pull by hand (or harness) , not sled or atv. If I stop while draggin my portable w/ the jetsled xl behind it on ice or snow, I have to step to the side to avoid gettin "Ankled" .

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #18 on: Nov 17, 2010, 09:39 AM »
I have my Thule rack sled (portable goes on it) on cc skis as well as my sons gear sled on cc skis- they slide great. I pull by hand (or harness) , not sled or atv. If I stop while draggin my portable w/ the jetsled xl behind it on ice or snow, I have to step to the side to avoid gettin "Ankled" .

Agreed.  I have tried both CC and DH skis, and the CC worked much better.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 17, 2010, 10:34 AM »
I always had pull out so the easier it slides the better. I'll probably build it in the next week and post some pictures after that.

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #20 on: Nov 17, 2010, 11:34 PM »
The caps are screwed down so the screw heads don't wear out. 4 screws.
The reason the joints are screwed together (2 on each joint) I was trying to pull it sideways and I must not have done a very good glue job and it came apart. It still is very lite, can lift it with one hand.
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2010, 04:59 AM »
I built one from Smitty's design ... worked like a charm even in a foot of snow   ;D

I used downhill skis... they will work way better in deep snow  .... that is why the new skis designed for powder are WIDE ....
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.