New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827185 times)

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #8280 on: Apr 01, 2014, 11:55 AM »
  Finished up the Oneida Lake ice fishing season yesterday with some great friends, huge sunfish, bluegills and a few crappies !
  RedWolfUSA, Tim Dog (BOI), Walleye1, Hood, Fillet & Release and the fish Gods that graced us with an almost perfect day to end the season !     Ice was getting real ugly !   Some spots that were 18 inches a day earlier were 5 to 7 inches  :o     Could easily dig down 4 to 5 inches with you boot yesterday.
  Time to regroup, reorganize, and pack away ice gear.   Tomorrow start that open water season !

Lots of laughs for sure! Hard to believe how fast that ice is leaving us.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #8281 on: Apr 01, 2014, 12:36 PM »
Got a call from the hatchery today - they think they will netting some fish next week.

Offline Carcajou17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Fishin' Gal
« Reply #8282 on: Apr 01, 2014, 01:09 PM »

See you all next year.  It sure has been fun.
Carcajou = Wolverine
Blessed and thanking God I can do this ice fishing thing...

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8283 on: Apr 01, 2014, 01:50 PM »
Got a call from the hatchery today - they think they will netting some fish next week.

Lets hope they are right! I would not be surprised with these temps. That rain really got things going.

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8284 on: Apr 01, 2014, 02:49 PM »
RedWolfUSAF   ;) ..... not to be confused with my ground pounding brethren......   @) @)
I could have sworn I hit the "F" .    May the "Force" be with you ! ;)

Lots of laughs for sure! Hard to believe how fast that ice is leaving us.
It was good to see that you didn't "Black Cloud" our bite yesterday as usual  ;D
Hood just called...He wants to go back out there today ! :o :o 

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8285 on: Apr 01, 2014, 03:00 PM »

Hood just called...He wants to go back out there today ! :o :o

All he needs is a 300 yard piece of rope and a whistle.......  ;)
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8286 on: Apr 01, 2014, 03:46 PM »
Can you go and watch them? Would be cool to see.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8287 on: Apr 01, 2014, 07:04 PM »

well It's not over for me just Oneida  ;D

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8288 on: Apr 01, 2014, 07:24 PM »
With ice days winding down, I decided to hit Oneida today. Seems like the north shore ice is holding up much better than the south shore. The shoreline took another hit, but the cold temps last night and this morning tightened up that nasty corn loose granular topthat was 3" deep yesterday.Only 1/4 inch granular top today where I was and good walking.Yesterdays holes were the same thickness within 1 inch of yesterday. Did find an area with only 16 inches.
Had a couple of good flurries of perch action this afternoon and I kept all 21 fish....mostly small and medium and a few dinks too.
Cool east breeze this afternoon.
looking forward to snag  and stormy's jumbo report.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline Pman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8289 on: Apr 01, 2014, 07:28 PM »
Filet sorry that we didn't get a chance to chase some late season jumbos but I understand that you were doing a number on some flatfish. Glad you found them and didn't have another day like we all did when I last saw you and KP. Good luck on those other waters and stay dry.

Met a lot of new friends and some old friends this year and had a great season. Thanks to all who contributed to this forum and made this thread the informative and entertaining success that it is. Hate to see the ice go  :( but we will be back at it in only about 8 months or so.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #8290 on: Apr 01, 2014, 08:29 PM »

Well with so much ice going bad yesterday and 60 in the forecast with sun, I decided to not fish where I had been last few trips... Me and stormy played it safe and stayed near the northshore, dam what a mistake, ice was rock hard and never took any damage today, it was better than yesterday when we got off...
        oh well.. tried something I always wanted to try, drilled holes over weed pockets I've got marked from fishing off my boat, most are in 11-14 fow, I do good on sunfish and occationally perch in summer, but after about 8-9 spots and 20 holes of not marking a fish, I headed out off the drop, landed right on a giant school of perch eating shrimp, at 1pm I had no perch, by 2pm had 20, ended up with 38 by 6pm, some were small and many mediums, not the normal slobs, although got some of those as well and a burbot.  Spectacular weather day  warm sunny morning and cool cloudy day , only to end sunny and mild again.. Measured 19 inches everywhere 14-16 clear.  Actually better ice than in the middle. Shoreline eroded a little more, gonna be almost imposible to get on the ice at apps with a machine now.and be VERY careful around the cracks, there rotten in spots. Met a nice kid who walked out with his dad today, good chattin with ya ed.

"Heaven"

Panther Lake on my ride home.

Ones I kept

ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8291 on: Apr 01, 2014, 08:37 PM »

The shrimp , the ice and what my fishfinder looked like when I dropped the transducer in the hole, I was grateful had only marked one fish in 4 hrs up til then.

16 inches of clear clean ice after the drop.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8292 on: Apr 01, 2014, 08:39 PM »
You had a great season Shane...   Congratulations...  You contribute a great deal to this site.....    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline A-TOM-MIK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasing perch the last 27 years
« Reply #8293 on: Apr 01, 2014, 08:44 PM »
I decided to not fish where I had been last few trips... Me and stormy played it safe

Great decision even considering hind-sight, love to hear these stories where smarts prevailed, as I've said many times I've lost dear friends to the hardwater~~~~ as the draw outdrew the smarter decision

Been a great season, lets all let it end great !!!

RIP to a great friend and the best I ever knew on the hard water
Ernie Paternoster

March 27, 2007

Tom
I aint' got a lot but I think I got it made !!! In the shade...........
- Hank Williams Jr.

Lovin' Life !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71EfNNRg_s
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1174207024#!/profile.php?id=1174207024

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8294 on: Apr 01, 2014, 08:50 PM »

Yeah yesterday was spooky how fast it went, only too rock up tight today and stay strong.. Ricks in florida, if I'm in doubt on last ice in the middle he usually makes me feel better saying shes fine .... got another day in her.  I don't understand the middle of Oneida and how she thaws, Freds not fishin perch right now, he knows when the middles done and when to abandon her, So I stuck to what I know, the edges.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8295 on: Apr 01, 2014, 09:14 PM »
With ice days winding down, I decided to hit Oneida today. Seems like the north shore ice is holding up much better than the south shore. The shoreline took another hit, but the cold temps last night and this morning tightened up that nasty corn loose granular topthat was 3" deep yesterday.Only 1/4 inch granular top today where I was and good walking.Yesterdays holes were the same thickness within 1 inch of yesterday. Did find an area with only 16 inches.
Had a couple of good flurries of perch action this afternoon and I kept all 21 fish....mostly small and medium and a few dinks too.
Cool east breeze this afternoon.
looking forward to snag  and stormy's jumbo report.

Sounds like you had a couple nice days out there Choo Choo, that's great bud, see ya on the River.  ;D

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8296 on: Apr 01, 2014, 09:54 PM »
  Sounds like you had a couple nice days out there Choo Choo, that's great bud, see ya on the River.  ;D
Real nice couple of days Snag. No one for miles around me today with plenty of safe ice.I never did find the jumbos near shore, but did find some schools of smaller fish to keep me busy....and added some late season walleye and perch movement locations , and another lure combo they will both bite. ;)Did not want to take the sled out to jumbo land, but the ice was still thick and strong and probably been ok. You never know for sure.  There is no bucket of fish worth getting wet for.
Great job by you and stormy and great pics too. Thanks for all your posts, info, and inspiration .
Hope to see you soon.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline dafisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8297 on: Apr 01, 2014, 09:58 PM »
Nice meeting you today Shane and Greg as well. Hope to see you on the river soon. And congrats on your great ice season on Oneida. Keep up the good work on iceshanty and eventually on myfishfinder.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #8298 on: Apr 01, 2014, 10:01 PM »
went up to the canal with the wife today. just went up for lunch , no fishing. saw some jack azz run out on the ice. he was across the canal from the park. down thru the ice he went. His buddy had to go out and get him out. He was only 30 feet from the open water of the canal. don't know what he was thinking.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8299 on: Apr 02, 2014, 05:11 AM »
Nice pics Shane. Playing it safe is never a bad decision.

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8300 on: Apr 02, 2014, 05:48 AM »
All he needs is a 300 yard piece of rope and a whistle.......  ;)

Haaa!

One more day :)

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #8301 on: Apr 02, 2014, 07:59 AM »
Already said my congrats on FB Shane, but again, way to go and way to keep at it safely....My new motto concerning ice conditions and what to do and not to do has become, "  I've seen it all before, I'm actually startin' to get smarter now"  ;D

God, I wish I could have gotten on these last couple weeks......... :'(

Oh well, the boats at the dealer getting new electronics installed!  @) WILL be ON the soft water in T minus one week!! :woot:
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8302 on: Apr 02, 2014, 10:05 AM »
Great decision even considering hind-sight, love to hear these stories where smarts prevailed, as I've said many times I've lost dear friends to the hardwater~~~~ as the draw outdrew the smarter decision

Been a great season, lets all let it end great !!!

RIP to a great friend and the best I ever knew on the hard water
Ernie Paternoster

March 27, 2007

Tom

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8303 on: Apr 02, 2014, 10:07 AM »
I sure do miss ''The Rooster'', good friend for 50 years, RIP Ernie!!

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #8304 on: Apr 02, 2014, 12:52 PM »
did my last day on the ice this morning.....latest date of my 56 years of ice fishing......shoreline on the south shore is going quickly......had a great and productive year......be smart and safe for those of you that are still getting out....it's been a long season, lets not tempt fate....see ya's on my fishfinder.com

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8305 on: Apr 02, 2014, 01:05 PM »
did my last day on the ice this morning.....latest date of my 56 years of ice fishing......shoreline on the south shore is going quickly......had a great and productive year......be smart and safe for those of you that are still getting out....it's been a long season, lets not tempt fate....see ya's on my fishfinder.com
You have had a great season scout57...it has been a long ice season for sure.
Shoreline on the north shore is getting real bad in spots too, weak ,rotten, open water etc....but the ice beyond shore was in good shape yesterday afternoon. Not rotten ice at all...still hard and strong, but lots of air bubbles and those "candles" from oldtimers post were forming. Most places I drilled was 19/20 inches and 40 turns of the nils to get through it. One place was only 16 inches, and 33 turns to get through. But that is going to change real quick with warmer temps and  higher sun and longer sunshine ,warm rain and runoff etc.. Be careful everyone.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8306 on: Apr 02, 2014, 01:18 PM »
It was a bittersweet ride  towing my sled home this morning as I drove over the Oneida 81 bridge. I wanted to get out there again today, but after 4 days straight pulling,walking and hand drilling, this old fart needed a break.
Not sure if I'm going to get out again, or go  into river mode....but good luck to everyone thats still drilling ice.
Here a pic from yesterday and monday
yesterday..peaceful

monday- tough walking as ice conditions changed

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8307 on: Apr 02, 2014, 01:58 PM »
Bernards Bay cam shows 50 degrees.. The fat Lady is humming pretty loud...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8308 on: Apr 02, 2014, 02:48 PM »

nice fish guys , I have been having a blastthe last couple weeks catching flats and seeing guys I fished with 30 years ago, almost like old home week , went out today but not Oneida for half a day caught a few but not real big , hope to get out a few more times before I pack it up and start chasing stream trout  :thumbsup:

and snag you know plenty about ice , with that and common sense wins out on late ice, partners are important when things start changing  , oh year a spud always tells the truth ,  when to walk on black ice and when not to , that came into play late ice last year  ;) wasn't that interesting   :o

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8309 on: Apr 02, 2014, 04:24 PM »
  Well we parked the sled and walked out of apps this morning, just barely below freezing .... ice was rock hard, set up on my holes from yesterday around 9am .... dropped the ducer, still 6 feet of fish and shrimp everywhere in the hole....  yes........, not a fire drill, had too work em, but I got about 50 by 2pm, kept 34 really nice males in that 9 1/2-12 inch range.  Top layer came un glued and was worried about the crack we crossed earlier, sure enough it was going, put my foot through, then sent my spud too the bottom of the lake, forgot to use the rope tied too it, dummy....  Theres still the same ice out there, 16-19 inches with top 3-5 pop corned, I'm sure it will rock up tonight, but if I can't fish those holes, I'm done .....would be torcher too look at a blank screen at the beachbowl now.   See you next yr Oneida ice.

few pics

Nice seeing you guys again mr and Missfishy, last time was when the ice broke off at sylvan and we made the news, atleast today was less eventful.... ;D

wigglers from the perch, tipped my jigs with them, man talk about candy.  ;)

Shrimp closeup

Had fun stormy, take care pal, see you on the River maybe.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.