New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827198 times)

Offline Carcajou17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Fishin' Gal
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #8190 on: Mar 30, 2014, 08:40 AM »
DC, I've been considering a rod/reel combo like that.  What is the make/model of that nice combo you have?  Congrats on the catches.
Carcajou = Wolverine
Blessed and thanking God I can do this ice fishing thing...

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8191 on: Mar 30, 2014, 08:46 AM »
DC, I've been considering a rod/reel combo like that.  What is the make/model of that nice combo you have?  Congrats on the catches.

The reel is a Clam spooler. If you pencil grip your rod they are one of the more comfortable in-lines I have found. Nice amount of spacing between the rod and your palm. Depends on how you grip things...
There are a lot of nice rods on the market. But I built that one. I may be building a few dozen(or more) this summer...  ;D

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8192 on: Mar 30, 2014, 09:08 AM »
36inches, super soft tip, then a nice transition into all backbone, and light as a feather or two...  ;D Ol' KP had the rod in his hand for 6 seconds and said "i'll take two"
Nice!! I like  ;D
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline Pman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8193 on: Mar 30, 2014, 09:20 AM »
DC glad to see that you and Tank managed to get north of the border. That was a tough group of hombres you were fishing with. I bet you got a few orders for that DC custom rod. Not bad enough that you build a great rod, but then you have to top it off by using blue guide wraps and handle to match the blue markings on the reel. You are quite the craftsman.  ;D

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8194 on: Mar 30, 2014, 09:35 AM »
How much DC!? I don't fish much in the shack at all. Usually leave it home. Would be nice to use my 13 reel on it..
It'll eat.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8195 on: Mar 30, 2014, 11:06 AM »
Out on the lake now.  Walked out in the rain at first light.  There was much less water on the ice this morning than there was yesterday.  Now 99% of the water is gone.  Put the tape to the same hole I meassured yesterday.  Barely under 19" lost maybe 1/4".  However the white ice is totally shot.  Just scuffing my foot back and forth a dozen times I dug down 2+". 
6" screw in ice anchors aren't holding well.  Already reset one twice, it worked itself loose in about 2 hours.  Shore was fine where I get on.
Pay attention traveling, yes some of the real ugly spots are easy to see now (the draining made them obvious low spots). However new smaller ones appeared over night.  They look tiny but you can spud right through all around them.

Offline crappiekiller315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • THATS HOW I ROLL SUCKA'S
« Reply #8196 on: Mar 30, 2014, 11:26 AM »
36inches, super soft tip, then a nice transition into all backbone, and light as a feather or two...  ;D Ol' KP had the rod in his hand for 6 seconds and said "i'll take two"
I watched ya using that rod it looks sweet I would've introduced myself to ya but ya looked busy and the young lady I was with was to busy yelling at the fish for a minute I thought I was in the shanty with release
why is it everytime i start catchin fish a GREMLIN pop's up in my hole

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #8197 on: Mar 30, 2014, 11:42 AM »
I watched ya using that rod it looks sweet I would've introduced myself to ya but ya looked busy and the young lady I was with was to busy yelling at the fish for a minute I thought I was in the shanty with release
Yow! A female Release!!??  RUN for your life!!! :woot: :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Wayne W.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8198 on: Mar 30, 2014, 11:45 AM »
Yow! A female Release!!??  RUN for your life!!! :woot: :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
lol!!!  :woot: :roflmao: :woot:

Offline crappiekiller315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • THATS HOW I ROLL SUCKA'S
« Reply #8199 on: Mar 30, 2014, 12:16 PM »
she is tough and don't give up easily and she can can dish out as well as take a little razzing heck she takes care of her own fish and sometimes out fishes me so I'll run with her for now :woot: :woot:
Hey Fred I told her that guy was on your hot hole yesterday she said go knock em off his bucket that prick  :afro: :woot: :woot:
why is it everytime i start catchin fish a GREMLIN pop's up in my hole

Offline Carcajou17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Fishin' Gal
« Reply #8200 on: Mar 30, 2014, 12:43 PM »
she is tough and don't give up easily and she can can dish out as well as take a little razzing heck she takes care of her own fish and sometimes out fishes me so I'll run with her for now :woot: :woot:
Hey Fred I told her that guy was on your hot hole yesterday she said go knock em off his bucket that prick  :afro: :woot: :woot:

You go, girl!  haha!   ;D :woot:
Carcajou = Wolverine
Blessed and thanking God I can do this ice fishing thing...

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8201 on: Mar 30, 2014, 01:40 PM »
Does anyone have the link to cleaning bourbots that was posted a while ago?     Got some nice perch and bourbots this morning great day out, wind was cold ice was good were I was

Offline nessman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8202 on: Mar 30, 2014, 01:51 PM »
Kinda tempted to go out there today... but with the wind/rain, grey skies and a generally busy schedule (that and I'm overdue for some recoil therapy after spending yesterday reloading) - I'm just kinda 'meh' about going out there now.  Hopefully there will be some decent ice left next weekend for one last hoo-rah before packing it in for the season.

Offline A-TOM-MIK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasing perch the last 27 years
« Reply #8203 on: Mar 30, 2014, 01:53 PM »
Does anyone have the link to cleaning bourbots

Not sure if this is the one u were looking for but looks pretty easy, just like a bullhead

I aint' got a lot but I think I got it made !!! In the shade...........
- Hank Williams Jr.

Lovin' Life !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71EfNNRg_s
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1174207024#!/profile.php?id=1174207024

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8204 on: Mar 30, 2014, 01:56 PM »
Does anyone have the link to cleaning bourbots that was posted a while ago?     Got some nice perch and bourbots this morning great day out, wind was cold ice was good were I was
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtbkSrtf8to 
Recipes for burbot. ;)
http://www.fishingrssfeeds.com/node/5789#axzz2qr7vfoM0

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8205 on: Mar 30, 2014, 02:05 PM »
I worked the OLA booth for a few hours today at the sportshow. I got to meet Rob (Bartel Bait) and Racer. It was nice to chat with you guys. Thanks for sharing your Chamount stories with me Racer. Congrats again on that beautiful Waldo!

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8206 on: Mar 30, 2014, 02:41 PM »
Was checked today on short point by ECO Richard Head. He seemed like a decent guy. We watched him nail 3 guys for over the limit!!  Told him it was nice to see him out there

Offline nessman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8207 on: Mar 30, 2014, 02:46 PM »
Was checked today on short point by ECO Richard Head. He seemed like a decent guy. We watched him nail 3 guys for over the limit!!  Told him it was nice to see him out there
He ticketed me once for no license... can't complain as that was my fault - he was doing his job.  But probably one of the friendliest cops I've ever come across. Even sent his boss an e-mail to compliment him.  Those guys have a tough job - often work alone in remote areas where backup can be a long way away. 

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8208 on: Mar 30, 2014, 02:52 PM »
Thanks guys don't usually keep them but what the hell

Offline A-TOM-MIK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasing perch the last 27 years
« Reply #8209 on: Mar 30, 2014, 02:57 PM »
Was checked today on short point by ECO Richard Head

I agree nice guy (not sarcasm either), he gave me a ticket and acted like he really didn't want to. I forgot my license and when he pulled up my info he said I never purchased one, he even had me convinced till I called the shop where I bought it. I told him I felt the DEC does a good job and to have a good day, he was doing his job alone in a field of many anglers.

Much more behind the scene work comes out of these guys as well as the best biology management on Lake Ontario IMO

Tom
I aint' got a lot but I think I got it made !!! In the shade...........
- Hank Williams Jr.

Lovin' Life !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71EfNNRg_s
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1174207024#!/profile.php?id=1174207024

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8210 on: Mar 30, 2014, 03:01 PM »
Man oh man what a day yesterday was .... Woke up 2 hrs late... had two buddies waiting at Apps for a ride out. Got yelled at .... Finally get there ...get out there and set up ... go to set up and discover I left my flasher at the house ... Call the wife to confirm ..Yup sitting on the living room floor.

I tried fishing blind for 20 mins and I would have rather stuck hot pokers in my eyes then do that all day. So my buddy says go get his .. So I drive to Altmar and back ...get back on the ice ... start fishing around noon. Oh I forgot to say ...on the way in to go get the flasher I decide to act like I am 25 again and get the bright idea to "Jump" the crack .... hit it wrong ...sled lists to the left a bit ... off I go sliding 30 feet on the puddled ice ..... Dumb ass

Had a great afternoon ended up with 13.

Oh then around 3 o'clock I can not find my jig box .... Looked everywhere tore the shanty apart checked everything 3 times ... rode .5 miles back to my last move ... Get in and take off my bibs ... out comes my jig box from my pant leg ..... I patted down my pant legs twice .... SMH

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8211 on: Mar 30, 2014, 03:06 PM »
That must have been you that I saw flying in towards Apps on a sled. Those cracks are tricky...

Is that flasher cursed or something?  ;D

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8212 on: Mar 30, 2014, 03:11 PM »
That sounded like a tough morning stormy...one to forget ! Good job salvageing the day with some nice jumbos in the afternoon!
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline Racer268

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8213 on: Mar 30, 2014, 03:22 PM »
I worked the OLA booth for a few hours today at the sportshow. I got to meet Rob (Bartel Bait) and Racer. It was nice to chat with you guys. Thanks for sharing your Chamount stories with me Racer. Congrats again on that beautiful Waldo!

Nice to meet you guys too.  See you all on soft water.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8214 on: Mar 30, 2014, 04:01 PM »
Sounds like O neida  ice thickness fared pretty well during the last 24 hours. Down here we had warm temps and got hammered with drenching rain all night long. I fished a local lake yesterday and today, fished and measured  the same holes both days .  We lost 2 to 2 1/2 inches in all the holes. And boy did those holes get huge and deformed from draining all night. Shoreline took a beating too.
Whenever we leave our houses in the morning to go fishing ,we never know what the day will bring. Well, today I had an unexpected PB, with 6 jigged smallies while  ice fishing for perch, on a UL rod and tiny caty jig...go figure. Fun fights.
Heading up to Oneida tomorrow for a few day's, going to be on foot from now to ice out. Good luck everyone.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8215 on: Mar 30, 2014, 04:14 PM »
How much DC!? I don't fish much in the shack at all. Usually leave it home. Would be nice to use my 13 reel on it..

Im not sure yet. Im probably going to make some with that handle and some with a 5-6in cork. That handle set up alone cost me 22$ when the cork would cost a few. I have a hard time justifying the price some guys get on rods that cost little and are junk that you can get a lot better off the shelf. But I wont worry about that...

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8216 on: Mar 30, 2014, 04:15 PM »

I didn't realize that was you till I moved off. I did hear the lady getting loudish like Release  ;D
Second time I used that rods - once shallow flats and once deeper perch w a spinning reel. She fished awesome both times...

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8217 on: Mar 30, 2014, 04:25 PM »
Nice looking job on the rod Jay !

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8218 on: Mar 30, 2014, 04:39 PM »
DC glad to see that you and Tank managed to get north of the border. That was a tough group of hombres you were fishing with. I bet you got a few orders for that DC custom rod. Not bad enough that you build a great rod, but then you have to top it off by using blue guide wraps and handle to match the blue markings on the reel. You are quite the craftsman.  ;D

Function always trumps style but I do try and combine them  ;D
Heres my all time favorite - 9'6in 5wt. gun metal blue Ross reel - blue and green chevron wraps to match the colors I put in the handle and the backing/line...

And my fav jig stick  ;D

Online bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #8219 on: Mar 30, 2014, 04:42 PM »
DC, not only do they look good, they look like they work pretty good too. Nice!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.