New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827175 times)

Offline A-TOM-MIK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasing perch the last 27 years
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #8130 on: Mar 29, 2014, 01:38 PM »
Perch fishing has been decent, its tough to get away from the easy pickings of the flats but my last few trips we have taken about 75/trip 2 guys, big fatties. They are hating on minnows for us and loving spikesa and glow Caty's
Lots of movement in ice, tread carefully all

Tom
I aint' got a lot but I think I got it made !!! In the shade...........
- Hank Williams Jr.

Lovin' Life !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71EfNNRg_s
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1174207024#!/profile.php?id=1174207024

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #8131 on: Mar 29, 2014, 01:43 PM »
RG, got a limit of perch this morning...all 17-18 inchers except one dink 13". Drilled 173 holes from Taft to Messenger with my home made electric auger powered by my hearing aid battery. Caught a couple of blokes double dippin and now they're hangin from my basketball hoop.  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Wayne W.

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8132 on: Mar 29, 2014, 01:53 PM »
RG, got a limit of perch this morning...all 17-18 inchers except one dink 13". Drilled 173 holes from Taft to Messenger with my home made electric auger powered by my hearing aid battery. Caught a couple of blokes double dippin and now they're hangin from my basketball hoop.  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
i don't care what anyone says that's funny

Offline Hookinup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release ... into the grease!
« Reply #8133 on: Mar 29, 2014, 02:00 PM »

:woot: :woot: :cookoo: :woot: :woot:
Always remember .... they have a brain the size of a pea! How hard can it be? ???

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8134 on: Mar 29, 2014, 02:00 PM »
:woot: :clap: :clap: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Hookinup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8135 on: Mar 29, 2014, 02:07 PM »
Fished out of William's today. Sure hope everyone had a better day than I did. Really got it handed to me.

Ice is really getting mealy in spots. The gas holes and sun holes are starting to grow rapidly, as the surface water whirlpools it's way back down them.

Lots of good ice left, but the shoreline crack/heave in front of William's is getting a bit dicey. Pick your crossing spot carefully.

Nice seeing you again RG...and Pimplepounder--was that you I was talking with??
Always remember .... they have a brain the size of a pea! How hard can it be? ???

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8136 on: Mar 29, 2014, 02:35 PM »

Well... That lightens things up...  Thanks for the chuckle...

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8137 on: Mar 29, 2014, 02:37 PM »
I fished out of Taft this morning until noon. The shore ice is still in great shape. I had 24" of ice where I was and the top layer was getting sloppy. There is some water on the ice, probably up to 4" where I was.

The fishing was great. Caught 25 perch and kept 15 because that is all I needed. It felt good to return a few good ones.

Going back down!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8138 on: Mar 29, 2014, 02:41 PM »
Fished out of William's today. Sure hope everyone had a better day than I did. Really got it handed to me.

Ice is really getting mealy in spots. The gas holes and sun holes are starting to grow rapidly, as the surface water whirlpools it's way back down them.

Lots of good ice left, but the shoreline crack/heave in front of William's is getting a bit dicey. Pick your crossing spot carefully.

Nice seeing you again RG...and Pimplepounder--was that you I was talking with??
Wasn't me.Haven't been to Oneida in several years.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Carcajou17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Fishin' Gal
« Reply #8139 on: Mar 29, 2014, 02:42 PM »
South Shore was wet and icy this morning. Made the sled slide real good, though! The sun came up for awhile and the wind was minimal. The fish bites, however, were dismal. There were about 12-14 guys in the bay when I arrived and most were moving frequently because the fish were not biting. I moved around about 8 times. It appeared that nobody had a productive day fish-wise. I got one bluegill but he went back down the hole. No sense in keeping it. By the time I returned to my truck around 2:00 the ice had a thin layer of slush on it. With the rains tonight, it'll be a mess tomorrow. Don't know if I'll be going out or not. Depends on the weather....
Carcajou = Wolverine
Blessed and thanking God I can do this ice fishing thing...

Offline Hookinup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8140 on: Mar 29, 2014, 02:47 PM »
Wasn't me.Haven't been to Oneida in several years.

RG

Oops...LoL...I meant RTXguy

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8141 on: Mar 29, 2014, 03:29 PM »
Just had a winter weather advisory pop up on my phone. 2am until 8pm. Up to quarter inch of ice and 1-4 inches of snow.....and winter continues. Lol
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline Belly527

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8142 on: Mar 29, 2014, 03:38 PM »
I know. Iam a rookie guys but everyone is loosing something about the sport.You should all be glad you can still get out and do some fishing there will come a day in your life when you won't be able to get out there anymore.It shouldn't be about how many fish you caught Just be glad you can still get out and enjoy it. Believe this or not I could care less about the catch an don't get me wrong I like catching fish but I also like sitting in the shanty having a beer eating my meatballs just relaxing......As far away as I can get!!! Take it for whats it worth!!!!

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #8143 on: Mar 29, 2014, 03:42 PM »
Sound point, Belly! :thumbsup:
Wayne W.

Offline hunterkev16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8144 on: Mar 29, 2014, 04:38 PM »
I have been fishing out of a bay on the south shore my whole life and have only seen a handful of guys fish for panfish in the bay in the winter.....this year somebody let a cat out of the bag and figured out that there are a few fish to be had and it has been getting pounded this year......doesn't take long for people to jump on the bandwagon.....on another note I think that the state should lower the limits on panfish down to 25 per person including perch......with the birth of electronics and shanties and heaters and so on and so forth, the amount of fish being caught by almost everyone is immense.....I think 25 perch per day is more than enough.......would like to keep this great fishery around for my grandkids kids.......didn't mean to get this much ire stirred up with one question about access ;D

I hear yea man, who is eating 50 perch or pan fish a day. That much can last the whole week for two people. Plus, I see lots of people who dump out between 8 and 15 keeper pan fish. If you put the fish in a bucket then take them home, don't be wasteful of Gods bounty. He has a way of getting you back! They should also, implement where you have to keep the first three walleye you catch if fishing in over 25 ft. A lot of fish die after they are released from being brought up from deep water. Or, at least keep the first three legal fish then move on and catch perch or something.

Offline XxFISHN4EYEZxX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8145 on: Mar 29, 2014, 04:42 PM »
So whos giveing it a shot in the am? 

Offline stripes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8146 on: Mar 29, 2014, 04:49 PM »
Going off south side

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8147 on: Mar 29, 2014, 05:02 PM »
I fished out of Taft this morning until noon. The shore ice is still in great shape. I had 24" of ice where I was and the top layer was getting sloppy. There is some water on the ice, probably up to 4" where I was.

The fishing was great. Caught 25 perch and kept 15 because that is all I needed. It felt good to return a few good ones.

Going back down!

nice job Reel!!

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8148 on: Mar 29, 2014, 05:15 PM »
nice job Reel!!

Thanks Bobby. The weather was awesome too. Might be my last trip but you never know.  ;)

Offline Belly527

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8149 on: Mar 29, 2014, 05:43 PM »
Thanks HardWater

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8150 on: Mar 29, 2014, 06:11 PM »
Thanks Bobby. The weather was awesome too. Might be my last trip but you never know.  ;)
i hear you there Bruce. Not to often we get to jig up perch thru the ice on oneida in April! I might be sneaking out there again

Offline BROOKIEGILLY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8151 on: Mar 29, 2014, 06:31 PM »
To Mr ECON that came out to a south shore bay today I applaud your efforts to do a little undercover work, for future reference drive your personal vehicle there next time everyone that you were looking for saw you drive around the bay and left as soon as you came walking out of the marina.

You did chase them off though before they did any real damage. I am grateful for your service and keep up the good work!!!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8152 on: Mar 29, 2014, 06:47 PM »
I know. Iam a rookie guys but everyone is loosing something about the sport.You should all be glad you can still get out and do some fishing there will come a day in your life when you won't be able to get out there anymore.It shouldn't be about how many fish you caught Just be glad you can still get out and enjoy it. Believe this or not I could care less about the catch an don't get me wrong I like catching fish but I also like sitting in the shanty having a beer eating my meatballs just relaxing......As far away as I can get!!! Take it for whats it worth!!!!

yep as I get older I'm starting to see this ,I give fish to some of the old timers that are unable to fish anymore , and it makes me hope someday someone will do this for me , and by the way I had my meatballs handed to me today :woot: by DC and Tank great day though , and I was told some days your the hydrant and somedays your the dog  :o

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8153 on: Mar 29, 2014, 06:48 PM »
I was on Oneida for 9 hours today, gas holes are getting nasty! Drilled holes that are in water going quick.
Drill a hole in a puddle and the draining rots an inch or two.
Perch bite was pretty good to me, but not so much to others where I was.  Met a lurker today!  Nice chat.
Ice looked thicker than it was. Said lurker pointed that out.  I pulled out a tape, a little under 19, I taped 22 near there not long ago.
Lots of air bubbles in ice.  Water going down through ice fast enough you can hear gurgling

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #8154 on: Mar 29, 2014, 07:46 PM »
yep as I get older I'm starting to see this ,I give fish to some of the old timers that are unable to fish anymore , and it makes me hope someday someone will do this for me , and by the way I had my meatballs handed to me today :woot: by DC and Tank great day though , and I was told some days your the hydrant and somedays your the dog  :o

Hi Freddy.  I'll give you some fish any day.  ;D @)

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8155 on: Mar 29, 2014, 07:55 PM »
Oops...LoL...I meant RTXguy

Yup that was me.

Took my son out for a bit and had one of my buddies meet us out.  Called in sick to work and it went in his favor.  Found plenty of dink perch, a few pickeral and landed my season best slammer 13.5" jumbo.  She was a beauty.  My buddy cleaned up with 4 real nice perch and a few big sunnys.  Fished pretty shallow and for the most part away from everybody else.  The only downside was the only group near us that had a very narrow vocabulary of mostly 4 letter words >:( that also decided to leave the pickeral they caught on the ice in a bright orange plastic bag.  The pickeral are quite a pain and I don't agree with leaving them on the ice but why leave them in a bag ???

Ice was soft on top, still seemed decent underneath but there were quite a few drain holes and that crack as mentioned in front of williams is pretty tricky.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8156 on: Mar 29, 2014, 08:02 PM »
This rain is definitely going to cause some major runoff. The lake is going to change big time this week.

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8157 on: Mar 29, 2014, 08:07 PM »

Great time today with a great bunch of guys! I had a bologna sammich out there today, didn't see any meatballs ;D

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #8158 on: Mar 29, 2014, 08:43 PM »

What a day for big fish .... 3 well over 13 and double 14's, biggest being 14 1/4 inches.

Ended up with 28 after missing the morning bite due too car trouble and a friend over slept, did however catch a ride out with rookie joe, nice meeting you Joe, good fishin with you, met PerryT and beaver out there too, nice chattin and fishin with you guys.  great weather day, I measured 19 1/2 inches, top 3 white turned too corn snow rest was pretty solid, cracks evened out pretty good, must be lake is rising.

Morning fog rolling off.

ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline Pman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8159 on: Mar 29, 2014, 08:45 PM »
Hoofed it out to the perch grounds this morning; about 2.3 miles out and back, Jesus I could have walked right across the lake.  :P Walked thru standing water most of the way out and thru granular mush on the way back in. Definitely worth it - had an excellent day in respect to both numbers and the quality of the fish.  Those big males fight like hell, quite a tussle on ultralight equipment.

Nice talking with Snagger this morning and with Louie and John this afternoon. Ice still good but those pressure cracks are getting real spooky.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.