New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827175 times)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #7110 on: Mar 09, 2014, 12:57 PM »
I don't know Snag.  Few of them walleye are a little too close to be hole if you ask me. I throw mine a good ways back ;D But then again I have a much harder time catching them too!

Same here, my walleye come very hard to by... I'd have mine a lot more back away from that hole!  ;D

Snagger, still getting it done and great pics as usual. Thanks for sharing!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #7111 on: Mar 09, 2014, 01:14 PM »

got those 3 as part of a 5 in 5 drops blitz, only needed 2 of them to for my limit, shot a quick pic, then one went back down the hole... if it was a tough bite, they'd be nowhere near the hole, that hole was silly, almost set up my video camera.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #7112 on: Mar 09, 2014, 01:36 PM »
Great shots Shane

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7113 on: Mar 09, 2014, 02:43 PM »
Awesome fish Racer!

I went out of Constantia this morning and any hardly one there too.  We marked a lot of fish but didn't have much luck.  BB4 and I each got a half dozen small perch.  He got 2 walleyes (both keepers) and I got 2 nice smallies and that was about it.  Pretty cold again though.

Nice pics and fish Snagger.  You always take nice shots.  I never seem to have time to take good pics...and it's not because I'm covered up in fish most of the time either!  I used to take a lot photos in the old days, especially hunting.  I think it has a lot to do with my current partners.  They're not into photography much whereas as my old hunting/fishing partner definitely was.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7114 on: Mar 09, 2014, 03:26 PM »
Conditions are amazing now for any mode of transportation.  Saw more people doing the kite/sailing on a snowboard thing than I saw people fishing.

If you're not working get out and fish.
Do whatever anti-snow dance you have to keep this next storm away on wens & Thurs

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7115 on: Mar 09, 2014, 03:32 PM »
Nice fish and reports everyone! Tough couple days out there for me. 20 perch Friday with only 10 being keepers. Saturday I fished in constantia from 7-12 and got skunked. Hopefully things go a little better this week
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline arcticicejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7116 on: Mar 09, 2014, 03:42 PM »
great fish racer! fished yest and got 18 jumbos! out of taft! 10 or so 10 inchers i let go! caught them on spikes and fiskas! some on #2 perch rapala and small minnow head! nothing and i mean nothing would bite a lure unless some sort of meat was on it!

Offline sportsmenoftheyear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7117 on: Mar 09, 2014, 03:54 PM »
Its kind of Erie out right now, 1:45pm on a sunday granted the windchill is a little cold, but almost no one on the lake. 6-8 guys as far as I can see.
Granted I like being away from the crowd, but don't remember a day like this with so few people.

syracuse game @ 2.   think thats why they all cleared out.  and the bite sux right now anyway

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #7118 on: Mar 09, 2014, 04:13 PM »
Heading out for another trip in the a.m. can you park/walk at Godfrey boat launch? I parked at apps last time but Godfrey is closer to where I wanna go. Just never have been there. If anyone wants to tag along feel free to pm me

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7119 on: Mar 09, 2014, 04:15 PM »
great fish racer! fished yest and got 18 jumbos! out of taft! 10 or so 10 inchers i let go! caught them on spikes and fiskas! some on #2 perch rapala and small minnow head! nothing and i mean nothing would bite a lure unless some sort of meat was on it!

Oh I had 100's of of lookers, I just ignored them, only targeted the ones willing too hit my #3 rap.   after a few minutes out there you can tell those guys tight too bottom aint gonna play so I just pretend there not there.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7120 on: Mar 09, 2014, 04:18 PM »
Nice fish and reports everyone! Tough couple days out there for me. 20 perch Friday with only 10 being keepers. Saturday I fished in constantia from 7-12 and got skunked. Hopefully things go a little better this week

Thanks for the lift in Friday Homie, :afro: I'll re pay you with a boat ride.   ;D

looks like a big noreaster Wednesday night into Thursday, not what we need up here, our snowpacks big enough already.  Spring flooding looks immanent now.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7121 on: Mar 09, 2014, 04:24 PM »
took my grandson and son-in-law to bacon wrap city [sandy pond]  his first outting at 4 yrs. bait inspection , the fish pose and he laid a Jimmy Houston on a fish which I wasn't quick enough with the camera ,grrr

great catch Racer

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #7122 on: Mar 09, 2014, 04:33 PM »
Nevermind. I retract my question. Looked on Google maps. gigantic parking lot

Offline Kowasz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7123 on: Mar 09, 2014, 04:40 PM »
Nevermind. I retract my question. Looked on Google maps. gigantic parking lot
Go down the path to the left of the ramp, there is a heave on the ramp that's been there for a month or so. It's pretty obvious, there was a good trail packed down when we were there a week ago.
Kowasz

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7124 on: Mar 09, 2014, 04:42 PM »
Chief, he has been taught by Shaolin Master Kwai Chang Release!  They have been given the deadly blow!!  They ain't goin anywhere!!! :woot: :roflmao:
I think I'm the grass hopper on the eyes lately , 

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7125 on: Mar 09, 2014, 04:55 PM »
You guys do ok  ::) ::)
Most others would like to be the wax on wax off fence painter for ya!

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7126 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:15 PM »

got those 3 as part of a 5 in 5 drops blitz, only needed 2 of them to for my limit, shot a quick pic, then one went back down the hole... if it was a tough bite, they'd be nowhere near the hole, that hole was silly, almost set up my video camera.

Wish I have found a "silly" hole my last few trips. Probably heading back to Sodus and fishing the next week then back to oneida and finishing up the last week of ice on some flats. The only thing I know I can get consistently out there. Wish I was more of a walleye guy. There's always open water!
It'll eat.

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7127 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:26 PM »
Good day out on the ice today. Let me first say great pictures and reports everyone. Wasn't an epic day but in the am it was furious. Colleen did most of the fishing as I couldn't get my pole in before she had dumped 2 got one eye to the hole and then a jumbo. Managed afew more perch and then we called it a day. Wigglers sitting on the bottom worked late, number 3 rap ftg was the ticket in morning

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #7128 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:28 PM »
Well, if you would treat Release better, he would put you on biting fish! :woot: :roflmao:
Wayne W.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7129 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:31 PM »

Wish I have found a "silly" hole my last few trips. Probably heading back to Sodus and fishing the next week then back to oneida and finishing up the last week of ice on some flats. The only thing I know I can get consistently out there. Wish I was more of a walleye guy. There's always open water!

just put your time in , it's not that tough , eyes are not the sharpest tool in the shed perch are much tougher , and there is nothing wrong with flats , I spent my first 20 years chasing them across the state from Vermont - Can then I got old and went to fishing eyes and  perch , must be an old guy thing  ;)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7130 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Well, if you would treat Release better, he would put you on biting fish! :woot: :roflmao:

Hes a DK!!!!

Offline A-TOM-MIK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasing perch the last 27 years
« Reply #7131 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:37 PM »
just put your time in

I couldn't agree more
I aint' got a lot but I think I got it made !!! In the shade...........
- Hank Williams Jr.

Lovin' Life !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71EfNNRg_s
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1174207024#!/profile.php?id=1174207024

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7132 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:42 PM »
I couldn't agree more

thanks Tom but you are the perch master , Mon. looks like an eye looking day , for the dumb luck duo

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7133 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:55 PM »
Thanks for the lift in Friday Homie, :afro: I'll re pay you with a boat ride.   ;D

looks like a big noreaster Wednesday night into Thursday, not what we need up here, our snowpacks big enough already.  Spring flooding looks immanent now.
no prob bud! Anytime! I'll always take u up on a boat ride  :afro:

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7134 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:56 PM »
Each year I end up spending a little more time going after the eyes. This winter I did 6 trips after them. Last year I only tried twice I think. I really enjoy fishing for flats on oneida. I've spent most of my time on the Ontario bay's catching perch more than anything. Oneida is fairly new to me. 3rd year fishing it. I did have a descent summer/fall this yr out there in my boat though..looking to upgrade to a little bit bigger of a boat this spring and get a slip somewhere on the lake. That should help a lot for scouting next years ice fishing spots.
It'll eat.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7135 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:57 PM »
Freddie, looks like your grandson is a natural!! Good stuff  :thumbsup: :clap:

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7136 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:58 PM »
Each year I end up spending a little more time going after the eyes. This winter I did 6 trips after them. Last year I only tried twice I think. I really enjoy fishing for flats on oneida. I've spent most of my time on the Ontario bay's catching perch more than anything. Oneida is fairly new to me. 3rd year fishing it. I did have a descent summer/fall this yr out there in my boat though..looking to upgrade to a little bit bigger of a boat this spring and get a slip somewhere on the lake. That should help a lot for scouting next years ice fishing spots.
keep at it mister! Looks like your catchin on just fine

Offline Carcajou17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Fishin' Gal
« Reply #7137 on: Mar 09, 2014, 06:04 PM »
FINALLY got a keeper today at 4:30 out of Muskrat Bay.  Measured 12" and weighed a little over a pound.  Been getting nothing but 8" and less these past few weeks no matter where I go.  The sun was awesome.  Kept me warm and I opted to keep the shelter packed.  Got there around 3:00 and moved around between 10-13 fow and tried 5 different holes before I got this one in 13.  Then the bite quit and I headed back around 5:15.  :)

Carcajou = Wolverine
Blessed and thanking God I can do this ice fishing thing...

Offline bigben66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7138 on: Mar 09, 2014, 06:08 PM »
was out there this weekend caught a burbot and about 25 perch across from the cell tower on the south sore Saturday . and a 20in eye this morning and 5 perch at the cell tower. was in from 10 to 30 feet all weekend. lots of ice I had about 25in all over and helped some guys with over 30.

Offline Hookinup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release ... into the grease!
« Reply #7139 on: Mar 09, 2014, 06:23 PM »
Haven't posted in a while... Basically because I don't have much to add to what everybody else is saying and doing. Like lots of other guys have said, the fish have been pretty moody lately. Lots and lots of sniffers. Besides the occasional flurry, the solo flyers have been hard to coax.

Like Snagger says...I try to forget that the bottom huggers are there, and keep fishing for the biters, but when the biters are scarce...

A couple tricks that I do for moody perch...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. One thing I do is bring a 8 ounce lead weight tied to an old baitcaster reel with Dacron on an old rod broke off at the first eye. When it gets slow, I drop it to the bottom and frantically pound the bottom with it.

Another trick I try during slow times, is when I hook a perch (preferably a small one), I don't reel it right up. I pull on it and make him fight around down there. Sometimes this calls other fish in and gets them going. I do this when jigging smelt. Works great for that.

Another thing is to hook a fathead through the lips with a tiny jig head and send it right to the bottom. Let the minnow go right in the mud. Leave your line slightly slack. Sometimes perch will pick it out of the mud even though they won't take it otherwise. You can watch your line to see if it goes tight.

Sometimes one of the tricks works...sometimes it doesn't matter what you try.

The smallys are starting to get pretty active now. Here's one from yesterday...

Always remember .... they have a brain the size of a pea! How hard can it be? ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.