New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827199 times)

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #6690 on: Mar 03, 2014, 02:02 PM »
After taking my gas auger out in late January and getting b***h at by a guy 100yds away I bought a ION.  It's just not worth listening to the crap some clown want give you,I'm out to relax and catch some fish.

Offline yagermeister

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6691 on: Mar 03, 2014, 02:06 PM »
Really nobody should be telling others how to fish or how to get the holes in the ice....Freedom of choice I say :)

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6692 on: Mar 03, 2014, 02:13 PM »
got to laugh go fishing when you can use what u want , gas, hand, electric augers who cares just give the guy next to u room dont crowd in on people and have a great day fishing.  some times people are way to serious it's fishing have fun ....   

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6693 on: Mar 03, 2014, 02:33 PM »
Noise above the water it's ok but in the water is different , in the water noise travels twice as fast and gets amplified, don't believe ?,  dive under the surface and have a friend banging two rocks 100 yds away  sounds like it's next to you .
 I go every year on a small lake on a winter festival lots of ATV's and snowmobiles running wild and fish shots down ,I wonder why.
 What I found out regarding gas augers it takes a wile for the fish to start biting it's true they are same cases when they are on the byte and they don't care , in a slow day quiet is the key .
 my 2ç
The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6694 on: Mar 03, 2014, 02:33 PM »
Until you get of four guys with a 4-wheeler with a bad muffler and a loud, I mean LOUD auger dull as a hoe! That 4-wheeler went back and forth, shuttling everyone. Then the auger, the loudest I ever heard and the only auger they had, took forever to cut just one hole. Now multiply that by 4! They couldn't talk normally, they had to yell back and forth constantly. They even got in a big pissing match over the auger not working right! I almost offered them my auger, but I figured they didn't take care of any of their stuff, no way! The guy would also take rides on that 4-wheeler back and forth looking for other friends on the ice, I know because I could hear ever word the said 50 yards away! Freedom yes, but a little consideration to others... I gave up and moved.

For a while I thought I was on Candid Camera, that it couldn't be for real!

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6695 on: Mar 03, 2014, 02:41 PM »
Nothing scientific but I catch far fewer fish on weekends. All of my best days have come mid week with very few people around.  Same spots completely different outcomes. I don't think the noise a couple people makes matters, it is when you add up noise from a hundred different people scattered all over that shuts them down. 

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6696 on: Mar 03, 2014, 02:41 PM »
O!
 Ask any flats fisherman and he will tell you that bonefish respond immediately to any unusual sound they bolt off the flats , few years back I was on the platform in front 2 bonefish aprox 75 yds , captain drops a player and they flue 100 mph.
The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6697 on: Mar 03, 2014, 03:10 PM »
I for one fish how I want, & you can fish how You want! ;)
To each his own.

Recently on Oneida I've been mainly off by myself, couple times guys came over when I didn't move all day, but for the most part left me alone & were respectful.

I fished Saturday on Sandy Pond with a guy on a wheeler & a gas auger.  An hour later a couple guys rode right up on a sled slowly 40' away, their only fault was being short & chubby  :P ;D
Didn't affect my fishing a bit.

I however do choose to be quiet, as there's no proof either way that ALL the time the fish aren't spooked.  Fine maybe they're not sometimes.  I don't care.  While I fish for fun & relaxation, I also take it seriously & want every advantage I can get.

Does it help? Who knows. 

Offline cjwoodwor2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6698 on: Mar 03, 2014, 03:21 PM »
The noise is on top, it does not spook the fish.  The reason people yell is bc they would love for u too drill there holes for them bc 24inches sucks to hand drill.

Offline Genzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6699 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:13 PM »
Can opened...worms every where! ::)

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #6700 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:14 PM »
The noise is on top, it does not spook the fish.  The reason people yell is bc they would love for u too drill there holes for them bc 24inches sucks to hand drill.

not true I dropped 450 on a power auger and still hand drilled.  like I said earlier this aint a debate .... a few us were just trying too figure out how it effected our results, that's all.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline Locoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6701 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:14 PM »
O!
 Ask any flats fisherman and he will tell you that bonefish respond immediately to any unusual sound they bolt off the flats , few years back I was on the platform in front 2 bonefish aprox 75 yds , captain drops a player and they flue 100 mph.

Bonefish are not like walleye or perch. You're fishing pretty skinny water for bones and are sight fishing. Same with tailing redfish. Not even close to a comparison.
><> I was born to be a FISHERMAN !!!! <><

Offline Gozzos

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6702 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:16 PM »
Funny story. Sat at chapman I was one of first fisherman there because I had a long walk out. Me and my nephew set are shanty up and where working on three tip ups 10 yards apart. In the distance I seen a couple guys zig zagging on I phone GPS heading are way. So we get inside and start fishing and i take a look out my window and the idiots are 10 ft from my last tip up. Now I'm pissed off I know they can see my stuff. So I wait until they get all set up and go in there hunting tent. I walked over and drilled six holes all the way around them 10 ft away and started jigging. I was cold as heck but I ended up two right next to them. They sat there and never said a word. Lesson learned

Offline Locoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6703 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:20 PM »
Agreed on the can of worms ;) Let's not start comparing saltwater species to freshwater species. Total different ballgame. Wishin' I was back in Jax now. 82 at my place today and the sheepshead are a biting ;D
><> I was born to be a FISHERMAN !!!! <><

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6704 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:23 PM »
Well, all I have is a hand auger but I know one thing. Fishing saltwater flats for bone fish is not even comparable to ice fishing for walleye and perch. Two completely different ends of the fishing spectrum.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #6705 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:25 PM »
Went up to Gander in Cicero and Dicks in Dewitt looking for some end of season savings on ice gear, they aint got dick.

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6706 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:26 PM »
Went up to Gander in Cicero and Dicks in Dewitt looking for some end of season savings on ice gear, they aint got dick.

Neither had dick to start with. :P

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6707 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:27 PM »
Agreed on the can of worms ;) Let's not start comparing saltwater species to freshwater species. Total different ballgame. Wishin' I was back in Jax now. 82 at my place today and the sheepshead are a biting ;D

Mmmmmmmmm, Sheepshead are yummy ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6708 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:31 PM »
Well... Question if I think a gas auger scares fish.. #1. I loved to have guys 100yards away from me using them...
#2 I was taught to fish by a guy who once complained about a man he took fishing,  of making to much noise...  The guy was eating potato chips...
Probably some fish think nothing of it.. You don`t see (or catch) the ones it scares off..
One thing for sure.. Fishermen who use them don`t think it matters..  And those who do follow you around and fish behind you...
I had one and used it. I would cut  5 or more holes quite a ways apart and then go back and fish the first ones I cut and work my way out the line..   I suppose nowadays  by the time you got the 2nd one cut someone would be fishing the first one....

Don`t get bent out of shape over it. If you want to use a gas auger or a double bitted ax (know what that is ??)  Have at it.. 

HAVE FUN...

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #6709 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:34 PM »
Mmmmmmmmm, Sheepshead are yummy ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

My old fishing stumping grounds, New Smyrna Beach.....Reds and Trout!!!! Game On

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #6710 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:35 PM »
Just to see the reaction, I want to bring my chain saw out there and start cutting holes. Wonder what the reactions would be!!!

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6711 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:36 PM »
I actually think it does matter.......but i also remember back in the day when the spuds were bangin everywhere...still caught fish?

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #6712 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:36 PM »
Boss said I can burn a vacation day on friday.... ;D  hope the weather holds nice and it doesnt dump lake affect snow...   I will be walking... still  looking for my first keeper walleye   and some of  them tasty jumbos, and ummm I am referring to the perch  :P
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline Carcajou17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Fishin' Gal
« Reply #6713 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:38 PM »
Anyone been fishing at Godfrey Point recently?  If so, any success?
Carcajou = Wolverine
Blessed and thanking God I can do this ice fishing thing...

Offline nitro18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6714 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:46 PM »
Boring through the ice makes noise, either way you look at it had fish on the screen and me screaming a 10 inch hole and the fish not moving. I like my ax and saw the old fashion way..........

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6715 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:46 PM »
Anyone been fishing at Godfrey Point recently?  If so, any success?
I am not a regular up there but was there last Friday for 5 hours and jumped from 15 to 30 ft caught 2 small eyes.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #6716 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:49 PM »
Just to see the reaction, I want to bring my chain saw out there and start cutting holes. Wonder what the reactions would be!!!
how big is the bar ??? you know i just might bring out my husquavarna this weekend :P :P
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6717 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:51 PM »
I for one fish how I want, & you can fish how You want! ;)

I fished Saturday on Sandy Pond with a guy on a wheeler & a gas auger.  An hour later a couple guys rode right up on a sled slowly 40' away, their only fault was being short & chubby  :P ;D

was that spot where coach had been fishing , I heard it was an ok spot ,may have to park my grandson there  ;D

Offline Carcajou17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Fishin' Gal
« Reply #6718 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:55 PM »
I am not a regular up there but was there last Friday for 5 hours and jumped from 15 to 30 ft caught 2 small eyes.

Thanks, aj454.  Think I'll try there this Saturday.

Been out at Big Bay, Taft, and Briggs Bay this year. Weekends only (weather permitting). Darn work keeps getting in the way of my fun.   ;)
Carcajou = Wolverine
Blessed and thanking God I can do this ice fishing thing...

Offline ugglystick101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6719 on: Mar 03, 2014, 05:03 PM »
those sheeps are good down there I just got back from my gramps on pine island last week and there in good now

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.