New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827174 times)

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #5640 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:23 AM »
I'm sorry SNAGGER.  I just had to laugh at the last line.. ;D

yeah that is kind creepy isn't it, you know what I meant.

Just finished catching up, glad your sons ok Jim.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5641 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:29 AM »
  yeah that is kind creepy isn't it, you know what I meant.

Just finished catching up, glad your sons ok Jim.

Yea, I know.  I'm just too immature.  At least you're cleaning fish.  I haven't been back to Oneida let alone get out on the ice in awhile.  It doesn't look like I've missed too much considering the conditions out there.  Hopefully things will get better after this weekend.  Things will be tough with just a hand auger though.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5642 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:52 AM »
  I didn't care what was in my first hole, it was too cold, But I still took the time too just shovel the snow half way down, especially under my sled, then just cleaned hole out with scooper and evened it out, fished with tent up til it hardened, no frozen slush on my shanty all day, no water in my shanty either, but that stuff takes time, time that should be spent on finding fish, is what it is til it compacts down friday and re freezes sunday.....just glad I had friends who gave me a lift out so I could b***h about the snow, should of heard fred all day, he made me laugh a few times when he was swearing after burying his sled.  pretty good stuff... I'm cleaning 10 perch soon, now that that I'm home I'm glad I don't have 30 too clean, 11-12 inch males, my favorite.

I read on here someone's shanty got frozen in,..  I have read a lot about Release's tirades, they're infamous on here now! ;D

10 fish to clean is about right for me, 15 is generally the max. 30 would have spoiled a great day on the ice for me.  :-\
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5643 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:58 AM »
Yea, I know.  I'm just too immature.  At least you're cleaning fish.  I haven't been back to Oneida let alone get out on the ice in awhile.  It doesn't look like I've missed too much considering the conditions out there.  Hopefully things will get better after this weekend.  Things will be tough with just a hand auger though.

I'm still hand drilling, as long as its sharp, its ok... Ice is hard and clean, but the 6 inch 20 inch tube is loosin fish left and right now, time too fire up the 8 inch power auger I think after this warm up.

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5644 on: Feb 18, 2014, 10:11 AM »
  I'm still hand drilling, as long as its sharp, its ok... Ice is hard and clean, but the 6 inch 20 inch tube is loosin fish left and right now, time too fire up the 8 inch power auger I think after this warm up.

Yea, I hear ya.  I've got a 7 inch Mora auger that is ok with the swedish made blades, but it's still a lot of work when you punch a lot of holes throughout the day.  I've recently learned to put my ice ducer in a separate hole than the one I'm jigging/deadsticking in.  That's helped reduce losing the fish at the hole.  Those jigging raps love to wrap themselves around the ducer and get stuck at the bottom of the hole.

Offline A-TOM-MIK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasing perch the last 27 years
« Reply #5645 on: Feb 18, 2014, 10:59 AM »
Got my cardio workout also last trip, at first I found the beaten path easy to navigate and easy to set up shop, till a few fancy fast moving blurs came by and scared the be-jesus out of ya, I knew better but nobody around early on, had to navigate the tough stuff after 11ish, poor day for me about 10 solid fish on, covered a few square miles. Less ice where I was about 16", no issues hand drilling with the old Tenoka.

Tom 
I aint' got a lot but I think I got it made !!! In the shade...........
- Hank Williams Jr.

Lovin' Life !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71EfNNRg_s
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1174207024#!/profile.php?id=1174207024

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5646 on: Feb 18, 2014, 11:04 AM »
Yea, I hear ya.  I've got a 7 inch Mora auger that is ok with the swedish made blades, but it's still a lot of work when you punch a lot of holes throughout the day.  I've recently learned to put my ice ducer in a separate hole than the one I'm jigging/deadsticking in.  That's helped reduce losing the fish at the hole.  Those jigging raps love to wrap themselves around the ducer and get stuck at the bottom of the hole.

I never put a ducer in a fishin hole, except when looking for fish, once I'm set up, its in its own hole. I always laugh at the so called pros out west on TV fighting a fish/ducer on 6 inches of ice.  :woot:

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #5647 on: Feb 18, 2014, 11:07 AM »
I only use the ducer in the hole if I'm hole hopping every five minutes

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5648 on: Feb 18, 2014, 11:38 AM »
  I never put a ducer in a fishin hole, except when looking for fish, once I'm set up, its in its own hole. I always laugh at the so called pros out west on TV fighting a fish/ducer on 6 inches of ice.  :woot:

The same for me from now on, I had a fish taking drag, on Oneida Lake. I bent down to pull the transducer and lost that fish! That's still haunting me...  :'(
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5649 on: Feb 18, 2014, 11:42 AM »
hey guys want to go to verona beach friday and being new to the lake i was wondering how far the walk is to perch grounds. Can't use the quad i hear.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5650 on: Feb 18, 2014, 11:48 AM »
  with 18 inches of snow out there and rain coming Thursday night, plan a foot of slush too walk threw.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5651 on: Feb 18, 2014, 12:09 PM »
Just called Apps and can't get through. >:( >:( 315-675-8542 It this the right number?? It's what they give on the internet. ??? ???

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5652 on: Feb 18, 2014, 12:11 PM »
I have 315-675-8334 for Apps

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5653 on: Feb 18, 2014, 12:26 PM »
The same for me from now on, I had a fish taking drag, on Oneida Lake. I bent down to pull the transducer and lost that fish! That's still haunting me...  :'(

It was probably a 5lb walleye.  The horror.

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #5654 on: Feb 18, 2014, 12:43 PM »
no snow on the south shore yet.   Sully...

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #5655 on: Feb 18, 2014, 01:03 PM »
so....I know this is a pretty open ended question but I think it would be interesting to hear what everybody thinks about the outcome.....

When all is said and done by say Friday afternoon, what do you think we will be looking at conditions wise?  I'm thinkin' about 10 inches of wet slushy stuff, BUT, and this is a 2 part question, do you think the top layer along with the moisture content will be adequate enough to freeze pretty solid when the temps drop again?  I'm not so sure about that second part, hard to tell if the melt down will be substantial enough.....
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline NiceFishDad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5656 on: Feb 18, 2014, 01:07 PM »
Anyone know of a chamount thread on ice shanty?
Fish On!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5657 on: Feb 18, 2014, 01:16 PM »
It was probably a 5lb walleye.  The horror.

Thanks, been kicking myself ever since thinking it might have been a 4lb'er too...
  Keep America Godly...

Offline YaNkEmOuT88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5658 on: Feb 18, 2014, 01:31 PM »
so....I know this is a pretty open ended question but I think it would be interesting to hear what everybody thinks about the outcome.....

When all is said and done by say Friday afternoon, what do you think we will be looking at conditions wise?  I'm thinkin' about 10 inches of wet slushy stuff, BUT, and this is a 2 part question, do you think the top layer along with the moisture content will be adequate enough to freeze pretty solid when the temps drop again?  I'm not so sure about that second part, hard to tell if the melt down will be substantial enough.....
All I know is Saturday is going to be a slushy mess.over start freezing up sat. Night so sunday might be alright.. The warm spell should pack the snow down but all depends on how much rain we get..

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5659 on: Feb 18, 2014, 01:39 PM »
Thanks, been kicking myself ever since thinking it might have been a 4lb'er too...

Don't fret.  There's still a few more weeks left.  I'm itching to get out, but not in this mess.  I guess I'll work on my smitty sled in the meantime.

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5660 on: Feb 18, 2014, 01:40 PM »
Those slush areas will be a nightmare.. They will freeze over just enough so they won`t hold you. Every step you go through an inch of ice into 6 to 8 inches of slush..   It ain`t goin ta be purdy....  Time of season when the tough get going and the rest will be posting on here mid day...

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never Leave Fish to Find Fish
« Reply #5661 on: Feb 18, 2014, 01:43 PM »

Yah I am asking myself the same things. The gang and I are headed up early Friday just so we can figure out the totality of the mess. So in one of my brighter moments called another buddy and asked what he he planning this weekend for his sled. He said nothing I asked and he said sure. So not only am I bringing the wheeler but a sled just in case. Time to break out the big trailer and hope for the best, no turning back for the 8 of us. Worst case I will find a horse wagon and start whipping.LOL
Gotta Love Those Stripes !!!!!

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5662 on: Feb 18, 2014, 01:50 PM »
Yah I am asking myself the same things. The gang and I are headed up early Friday just so we can figure out the totality of the mess. So in one of my brighter moments called another buddy and asked what he he planning this weekend for his sled. He said nothing I asked and he said sure. So not only am I bringing the wheeler but a sled just in case. Time to break out the big trailer and hope for the best, no turning back for the 8 of us. Worst case I will find a horse wagon and start whipping.LOL

No sled or wheeler here, just walking.  I'm really debating on whether or not I should buy a set of snow shoes.  Never owned a pair before.  You guys think that'll work?

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5663 on: Feb 18, 2014, 01:55 PM »
By friday evening 10-14" of slush, Saturday morning barely a crust over it maybe 1/2".  Most of that will soften back to all slush Saturday during the day.  Saturday night colder so that's when we'll get the 1-1.25" skim across the top of the slush for Sunday morning.
No machines, Sunday skim will be just strong enough to hold up your foot as you raise the other out of the slush, then kerplunk that one breaks through repeat the process.
The positive though on the walk out it may be strong enough to support a jet sled or shanty (as long as no smitty so the weight is dispersed more)  The million dollar question is "Is it going to soften enough Sunday day that on the way back in you wish you had the smitty?"

Depending on how many holes are drilled & cracks are open the next question is how much will the ice float & drain water or will the slush sink the ice more?

Looking at the 10day forecast by the end of next week it will be great conditions, just drilling through 22-28".

Offline icecutter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5664 on: Feb 18, 2014, 01:58 PM »

I think this weekend is a total mess BUT looking at the long range it's feasible to think by the following weekend it should all be tightened back up pretty good with hi's in the teens and 0's at night. Fingers crossed anyways :unsure:

Offline YaNkEmOuT88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5665 on: Feb 18, 2014, 01:58 PM »
No sled or wheeler here, just walking.  I'm really debating on whether or not I should buy a set of snow shoes.  Never owned a pair before.  You guys think that'll work?
It might work out for ya or might make it worse lol if it gets real slushy and you sink in its going to make your walk alot harder but you could always try it and take them off if need be

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5666 on: Feb 18, 2014, 02:00 PM »

Might help a little when it's all slush & soaked snow, however the down side is when the slush crusts over when the snowshoe breaks through and sink some you will repeatedly get the shoes caught on the underside of the skimmed over crap.  Can ocassionally start to or even trip you up.  Gets very annoying, tried it once.  Made it out 50 yards, took them off with some choice words.

Will really depend on the surface day you're going.

Offline Zpotter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5667 on: Feb 18, 2014, 02:04 PM »

It was prob one of these ! Iv been fishing Oneida for years and I'd have to say catfish is the hardest pulling fish through the ice!

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #5668 on: Feb 18, 2014, 02:07 PM »
Snowshoes will work fine. Beats post holing. Curved tip won't dig under. I'll race any barefooted skeptic.

Offline recore

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5669 on: Feb 18, 2014, 02:12 PM »
Thinking about fishing south shore tommrrow. Am I looking at an impossible walk?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.