New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827180 times)

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #5040 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:47 AM »
Reading about the mid-ice lull period has boosted my confidence and has given me an excuse... How's that! ;D

That's the spirit!  I've been stuck in a mid-ice lull all year.  Haven't had one of those great days yet.  This snow though!  Man, it's going to be tough for walkers the next few days.

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5041 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:55 AM »
I like the discussion on "ice suits"  I'm in the market - sale prices now in effect.  ;D  Been looking at the Striker stuff - one of the local shops have them, in stock and on sale.  I would like to understand, better the different models.  The "Ice Climate" model of the jacket and bibs have removable liners, I see and the prolly the other shell on the different models is different?

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have an ice suit as well.  If you can find a bib and coat on sale for sub 200 then great.  Me personally, I can't justify spending that much money (retail price) for a suit that I can probably piece together for less using clothing with similar functions.  It's not a waste, as the buoyancy factor is definitely a positive, but I think that money can be spent elsewhere.  To each his own I guess.

A few weeks ago I found a whole bib/coat ice-armor suit on sale at dicks for 150.  I bought the XL thinking it would fit but it was too big.  I ended up returning it.  In hindsight, I probably could've sold it on ebay or craigslist and made a few extra bucks on it.  Oh well.

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5042 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:58 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I would love to have an ice suit as well.  If you can find a bib and coat on sale for sub 200 then great.  Me personally, I can't justify spending that much money (retail price) for a suit that I can probably piece together for less using clothing with similar functions.  It's not a waste, as the buoyancy factor is definitely a positive, but I think that money can be spent elsewhere.  To each his own I guess.

A few weeks ago I found a whole bib/coat ice-armor suit on sale at dicks for 150.  I bought the XL thinking it would fit but it was too big.  I ended up returning it.  In hindsight, I probably could've sold it on ebay or craigslist and made a few extra bucks on it.  Oh well.

Btw, I have a life jacket that I wear (NRS Chinook) that is awesome and serves as my floation device.  You can barely tell that it's on.  It's great for boating/kayaking.

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5043 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:06 AM »
I think artic armor runs one size bigger

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never Leave Fish to Find Fish
« Reply #5044 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:12 AM »
I personally just went to the local Gander here because I figured well all the spring stuff is coming in and the AA would be on sale. Nope to my surprise the insulated AA was $399 for both pieces and they do seem to run a size bigger. I tried on the XL cause that's what all my other gear is and way to big but of course they didn't have any larges to compare it to. so to the web I go.
Gotta Love Those Stripes !!!!!

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #5045 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:21 AM »
"one of those great days" is relative. One keeper walleye made my year! Other days I simply find myself in the middle of nowhere on Oneida Lake, take it all in and realize I am truly blessed in many ways. Then I have another "one of those great days".
Well stated  :thumbsup:

Online bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5046 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:21 AM »
That's the spirit!  I've been stuck in a mid-ice lull all year.  Haven't had one of those great days yet.  This snow though!  Man, it's going to be tough for walkers the next few days.

"one of those great days" is relative. One keeper walleye made my year! Other days I simply find myself in the middle of nowhere on Oneida Lake, take it all in and realize I am truly blessed in many ways. Then I have another "one of those great days".
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5047 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:21 AM »
Fished with a few Striker guys this past weekend, they absolutely LOVED those suits!

I'm in the market for a new one, just having a hard time making up my mind.  The Cabela's ice suits are real nice, IA Extreme suits are real nice, The Frabil (black) suit is real nice, but two friends said it has a lousy range of movement and way to bulky. I like the idea of the Striker suits being floating suits, I have a Mustang survival suit, thing is SUPER warm and loaded with neoprene floating materials, but it is the WORST sweat box EVER!! I haven't worn it in years because of that!

I checked out Strikers site, is there a particular model that's better than others? I was getting a bit confused with the options.  Jay, you said " Light?"

John - when I bought mine a few years ago they had 2 floating models - a regular and lite. I hate bulky stuff, I'd rather layer properly and just wear wind/waterproof... but wanted the security of floation... I went with the lites and love em...
Im not up on all the models now but it looks like they have 4 options? the 3:1 w removable liner, a "hardwater" model with a fair amount of insulation, a "predator" model with some insulation, and the "guardian" with just floatability(which is insulation)... It would be nice to check out all the diff options in person but short of going the the big Ice Show in MN, thats prob not an option....
If you have some specific questions, I do know a few reps for them...

p.s. god forbid we talk about icefishing suits or tow-bars on an icefishing site... relax....

Oh and Happy B-Day to Snag and Tank, two of the best fisherman I know share a Birthday!

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #5048 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:25 AM »

I got the IA Blue suit, and have no complaints. I use it for snowblowing, used it as a riding suit for 60 miles and was never cold. Never tried the other options so not to say they would be better or worse, just saying I like mine. Sitting here fighting off a cold dreaming of a snowmobile and some Jumbos  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5049 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:26 AM »
  I got the IA Blue suit, and have no complaints. I use it for snowblowing, used it as a riding suit for 60 miles and was never cold. Never tried the other options so not to say they would be better or worse, just saying I like mine. Sitting here fighting off a cold dreaming of a snowmobile and some Jumbos  ::) ::) ::) ::)

We are talking floating suits. Of course you like it, you bought it...  ;D

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #5050 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:26 AM »

Happy birthday Snagger and Tank !!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline icecutter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5051 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:27 AM »

:clap: Hang in there Bart, Oneida beats me way more than I beat it, but that's what keeps me coming back. I'm always rooting for you to post a nice limit of eyes, you'll get yours bud and when you do  :bow: :thumbsup:

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #5052 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:27 AM »
We are talking floating suits. Of course you like it, you bought it...  ;D
Oh heaven forbid I bring up a non floating suit on a ice fishing forum  ::) ::) ;D

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5053 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:29 AM »
Yeah, I agree with DC, God forbid we talk about ice fishing related items on here. >:( >:( >:(
I read back through all the posts on ice suits, but didn't see any comments as to whether these AA or Striker suits are USCG approved;
They seem not to be looking at the web, I think I want something that is approved so I can wear it on the boat as well.
Limited budget guy I guess.
Happy B-day to Snag, and Tank!

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5054 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:29 AM »
Oh heaven forbid I bring up a non floating suit on a ice fishing forum  ::) ::) ;D

Your lucky this isnt on FB, I have to be nice on here... Go start another thread for everything that come up...  ;D

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5055 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:31 AM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Your lucky this isnt on FB, I have to be nice on here... Go start another thread for everything that come up...  ;D

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5056 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:31 AM »
Yeah, I agree with DC, God forbid we talk about ice fishing related items on here. >:( >:( >:(
I read back through all the posts on ice suits, but didn't see any comments as to whether these AA or Striker suits are USCG approved;
They seem not to be looking at the web, I think I want something that is approved so I can wear it on the boat as well.
Limited budget guy I guess.
Happy B-day to Snag, and Tank!

Neither are USCG approved. I know mustang are and a company called Onyx. I believe Clam is looking into it...

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5057 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:34 AM »
I feel bad for you sick guys! Mine was horrible, but whats worse not completely gone.  2 weeks of lingering congestion & runny nose that won't quit.

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #5058 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:34 AM »
Give this topic another 3 days  ;)

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5059 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:36 AM »

Well said Bart.

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #5060 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:36 AM »
I feel bad for you sick guys! Mine was horrible, but whats worse not completely gone.  2 weeks of lingering congestion & runny nose that won't quit.
This sucks....

Offline builtright716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5061 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:49 AM »
Not sure if they have them in stock but the Guide Gear bibs and parka from Sportsmans guide are amazing. Fourth year in mine and I love them. $80 for each piece but they messed up when I got mine and only charged me $80 total. I kinda stick out with the bright red suit and being 6'6" and all but that can be a good thing for early and late ice. No flotation though

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5062 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:55 AM »
Mr Bluegill does a great job explaining the different Striker models ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSsjyZC5Ass
  ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5063 on: Feb 11, 2014, 10:17 AM »
  Happy birthday Snagger and Tank !!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icefish:

X2!!!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #5064 on: Feb 11, 2014, 10:21 AM »
Mr Bluegill does a great job explaining the different Striker models ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSsjyZC5Ass

Nice video and comparison.  I think I will go try some on and make a decision this afternoon.  ;D

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #5065 on: Feb 11, 2014, 10:28 AM »
John - when I bought mine a few years ago they had 2 floating models - a regular and lite. I hate bulky stuff, I'd rather layer properly and just wear wind/waterproof... but wanted the security of floation... I went with the lites and love em...
Im not up on all the models now but it looks like they have 4 options? the 3:1 w removable liner, a "hardwater" model with a fair amount of insulation, a "predator" model with some insulation, and the "guardian" with just floatability(which is insulation)... It would be nice to check out all the diff options in person but short of going the the big Ice Show in MN, thats prob not an option....
If you have some specific questions, I do know a few reps for them...

p.s. god forbid we talk about icefishing suits or tow-bars on an icefishing site... relax....

Oh and Happy B-Day to Snag and Tank, two of the best fisherman I know share a Birthday!
[/quot

Thanks jay! I just heard from my friend he has the predator version, medium insulation, says it's perfect overall!

Now gotta see how many funds are left in the 14' ice fishin budget, may have to wait till next year at this point. Still a lot of fishin left to do. Back and forth from buffalo every week with all expenses involved doesn't leave much of a slush fund left.

Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline Dogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5066 on: Feb 11, 2014, 10:39 AM »
Wow... I guess the fishing must be pretty slow....  ;)

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5067 on: Feb 11, 2014, 10:48 AM »

Want a Weineken Bacon Grease?
It'll eat.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5068 on: Feb 11, 2014, 11:03 AM »

Want a Weineken Bacon Grease?

Ahhh ya wanna fight jr. ?   Bring it on!

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never Leave Fish to Find Fish
« Reply #5069 on: Feb 11, 2014, 11:26 AM »
John you know your preaching to the choir when you bring up slush funds here. I just revamped most of my gear for this season to get a fresh start no headaches. Yah right here we go and I drop another G note cause now the old lady wants to go sometimes. So I needed a new auger ended up with a Ion, then the shanty is to small so sell my new used 12x Clam pro thermal and get a Yukon and then said screw it and with all this talk about suits just ordered the AA lite suit. So what about a budget, I am gonna have to hitch a ride with you from now on to go to Oneida. LOL
Gotta Love Those Stripes !!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.