New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827176 times)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #4920 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:04 AM »
hey  fillet  been awhile since i fished it  but  you know another short  walk on oneida ....  polar  beach isn't that bad  ....  kinda  hit and  miss  but you even get  sun fish there with the perch and  some whites to boot!

i  havn't fished it in a  long time tho

omg havn't been there in years, use to fish it with TG

Offline pa ice swimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4921 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:07 AM »
Your right filet, that drag got the legs burning even with the smitty, got two more days off, gonna hit that spot by my place, i'll send ya some pics later  ;)

Offline kawz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4922 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:15 AM »
A question for the group.  Was fishing off Chapman Sat morning, with lots of lookers, but caught an interesting creature and wondered if anyone else had caught or seen one.  Sorry no picture as I didn't think of it at the time, I was so surprised. Was in 25 FOW and reeled up something I thought was a dink perch or walleye as there was barely a fight.  When it showed itself, I first thought it was a burbot by the color and shape, then I saw it had legs.  Looking it up later, it appeared it may have been a hellbender.  It was about a foot long. 
It went back in the hole, but has anyone else seen or caught any of these things? 

In looking them up, they appear to live mostly in streams, which surprised me that it hit from the bottom of the lake.  As I was unhooking it, it didn't have teeth, so I ruled out (thank God) a snakehead.  Just curious, but any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.   

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #4923 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:18 AM »
A question for the group.  Was fishing off Chapman Sat morning, with lots of lookers, but caught an interesting creature and wondered if anyone else had caught or seen one.  Sorry no picture as I didn't think of it at the time, I was so surprised. Was in 25 FOW and reeled up something I thought was a dink perch or walleye as there was barely a fight.  When it showed itself, I first thought it was a burbot by the color and shape, then I saw it had legs.  Looking it up later, it appeared it may have been a hellbender.  It was about a foot long. 
It went back in the hole, but has anyone else seen or caught any of these things? 

In looking them up, they appear to live mostly in streams, which surprised me that it hit from the bottom of the lake.  As I was unhooking it, it didn't have teeth, so I ruled out (thank God) a snakehead.  Just curious, but any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.
mud puppy

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4924 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:34 AM »
Your right filet, that drag got the legs burning even with the smitty, got two more days off, gonna hit that spot by my place, i'll send ya some pics later  ;)

can't belive I go to Lake george and run into the Cranium brothers , Richard & Crapy  ;)

Offline Gozzos

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4925 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:35 AM »
Hey Kawz   It's funny I caught what believe is a mudskipper at chapman also . I was fishing in 22 fow on the bottom for perch holdind tight. Same size 11 to 12 inches I took a video of mine on my iPhone . Made a interesting day on the ice that's for sure

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4926 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:41 AM »
Yeah def a mudpuppy. They usually have a few in the hatchery for people to see every spring
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4927 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:44 AM »
hey  fillet  been awhile since i fished it  but  you know another short  walk on oneida ....  polar  beach isn't that bad  ....  kinda  hit and  miss  but you even get  sun fish there with the perch and  some whites to boot!

i  havn't fished it in a  long time tho
its still a good spot Trap!  ;)
My sister and brother in law live over there
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline builtright716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4928 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:51 AM »
I made my first ever trip to Oneida this weekend. We got there at 3:00 on Friday so we fished the flat out of Godfrey. I Only ended up with two 12-13" perch. We were out by buoy 121 on Saturday. 6 of us and 3 trips with the wheeler out of apps and I had to send a guy up to get gas. He saw the ambulance there. Glad everything turned out ok. I started in 17 FOW on the edge of the shoal and worked out to 40 FOW but could not find any active fish. Ended a tough day with one 8" perch released. Sunday we only had until around noon so we went to the back side of the little island off Constantia and found some active fish. Too bad they were mostly dinks. Only managed to keep a few there as well. Did get one wicked hit on my jigging rap as it was deadsticked about 8' off bottom. I was too busy playing with a screenfull of dink perch on another rod and grabbed it just before it escaped down the hole but nobody was home. Oneida is a beautiful lake and she definitely kicked my butt this weekend but I'll be back up a week from Wednesday. Hopefully the fishing is better then. The areas we fished all looked like great spots on the contour maps. Obviously I was wrong

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4929 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:52 AM »
wert tell jackperch about the hill on and off  :o don't go there if you have a weak heart , no joke

Thanks, I saw that and was thinking I'll try it early ice next year. I don't think I'll be testing the new pacemaker/defib device...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4930 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:01 AM »
not fishing for walleyes these days. looking for the other white meat...............got enough walleyes already. and yes NO pictures or reports for now. incogneito for a while ::) ::) ;D

Incognito when traveling in a new , shiny 4 wheeler ??? I think not..   How do you like it ????

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4931 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:17 AM »

Thanks, I saw that and was thinking I'll try it early ice next year. I don't think I'll be testing the new pacemaker/defib device...

I see guys in good shape wilt under that one , I'm not saying it's a bad place to fish I would drag my stuff an extra .2 miles on the flat before that hill , but thats just me

Offline Pole-ska

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4932 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:45 AM »
You guys weren't s***'n about the drag. This was only the second time I have fished Oneida and the last time without a machine. I am a 31 year old guy in good shape who runs and works out regularly. My buddy is probably 6'2" and is a beast.  And we thought we were going to DIE! We made it halfway to where we could see huts and said "lets try here eh". While we probably over packed the sled (mainly beer) and three guys worth of gear i never thought i would have such a hard time. THis plan resulted in mainly dinks at Constiana and nothing off of App's.

Props to those make the journey on foot.

I am going to take some Advil and ice my legs while swallowing my pride.

Till next year!

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4933 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:58 AM »
You guys weren't s***'n about the drag. This was only the second time I have fished Oneida and the last time without a machine. I am a 31 year old guy in good shape who runs and works out regularly. My buddy is probably 6'2" and is a beast.  And we thought we were going to DIE! We made it halfway to where we could see huts and said "lets try here eh". While we probably over packed the sled (mainly beer) and three guys worth of gear i never thought i would have such a hard time. THis plan resulted in mainly dinks at Constiana and nothing off of App's.

Props to those make the journey on foot.

I am going to take some Advil and ice my legs while swallowing my pride.

Till next year!

Yea, the drag was tough this weekend.  My fishing partner and I dragged our gear about 3 miles round trip on the East end on Saturday.  Luckily there were plenty of sled and quad tracks.   They helped out tremendously with the drag.  If your buddies have extra sleds lying around..definitely have them bring it along and balance out the weight.

Only managed to get 1 keeper eye but lost a few on the way up.  We were in 24 fow.

Offline XxFISHN4EYEZxX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4934 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:12 AM »
Hey nysportsman find those white perch u were after over weekend?

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4935 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:14 AM »
While the walk wasn't that easy, it's been worse.

As I said yest. still can't find the perch with any consistency. Not for a lack of trying either, just keep finding eyes.  This is the pig I got on the 4lb perch gear

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4936 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:18 AM »
Hey nysportsman find those white perch u were after over weekend?

No unfortunately not.  Hence the 3 mile round about.  We were moving around a lot.  It's very possible that the some of the ones we lost on the way up were white perch.  One of my buddies says that they swim in circles on the way up.  I didn't have them hooked long enough to be able to tell the difference.  I'm going to try again next week.

Offline Jig it Good

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4937 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:23 AM »
Just wondering how the ride out is with the snow. Would I be alright with the wheeler?
Whoever came up with ice fishing must have had the worst marriage on the planet

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #4938 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:29 AM »
Just wondering how the ride out is with the snow. Would I be alright with the wheeler?
watched the wheelers yesterday have a little trouble....4 wheel with chains would be better.....got 4-5" more snow on the south shore last night also....sled would be the way to go....had no problems at all

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4939 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:36 AM »
No unfortunately not.  Hence the 3 mile round about.  We were moving around a lot.  It's very possible that the some of the ones we lost on the way up were white perch.  One of my buddies says that they swim in circles on the way up.  I didn't have them hooked long enough to be able to tell the difference.  I'm going to try again next week.

White perch are unmistakable when you hook them.  They pull hard enough to feel like an eye or pickeral yet the vibration from the head shake is very fast & erratic since they're small, unlike the slower harder thumping of the longer bodied fish.  Once you get a couple you'll understand.

good luck

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4940 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:47 AM »
White perch are unmistakable when you hook them.  They pull hard enough to feel like an eye or pickeral yet the vibration from the head shake is very fast & erratic since they're small, unlike the slower harder thumping of the longer bodied fish.  Once you get a couple you'll understand.

good luck

Thanks.  I'm looking forward to it.  We found a spot later on in the day where we got all of our hits.  1 being the keeper eye.  I was going to try again Sunday but got myself sick during Saturday's outing.  That and a snow blower that I tore the auger gear box to shreds.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4941 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:51 AM »
You'll know it's a white perch when it swims circles around the hole tangling your dead stick line and then you're transducer. Then as you get that mess out of the hole it flexes it's body and sticks one of the barbs on it's pectoral fins through you hand. Then, after a bunch of swearing, you try to pop the hook out of it's mouth but it's so bony that the hook breaks off in it. That's a white perch.

Good luck. Catch all of them, please.

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #4942 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:56 AM »
You'll know it's a white perch when it swims circles around the hole tangling your dead stick line and then you're transducer. Then as you get that mess out of the hole it flexes it's body and sticks one of the barbs on it's pectoral fins through you hand. Then, after a bunch of swearing, you try to pop the hook out of it's mouth but it's so bony that the hook breaks off in it. That's a white perch.

:woot: :woot: :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :thumbsup:

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4943 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:04 AM »

Haha...Is this all from personal experience?  ;D   I can see everything playing out exactly as you've described it.

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #4944 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:05 AM »
 Had a good weekend, got all my eyes on Friday and Saturday with a few extra throw backs, several shorties and pinners, Caught a grand total of, are you ready for this?......8 stripers!!! :o  Only had a couple hrs to work with Sunday morning, so I scratched with only one jumbo..... Like I said before the mid winter blues are in full swing, you'll get a shot at maybe one out of every 10 fish you mark....IF and only IF your doing the right thing at the right time!  Your " A " game is a must right now, and peak periods are key on peak period structures. Otherwise you CAN get afternoon roamers and I did, but they're much more skittish and scattered. As a matter of fact I arrived late Friday morning, missed the peak so I settled in on an area that was holding scattered roamers, ended up getting my fish between high noon and 2:00. 

Congrats to all who got on anything decent the past few days, Pooch, Bart, Snag, HT......And Mr. President, if I may, welcome back from your polar expedition, the sweet lady missed you!  We gotta get together soon bud!

HT, the machine looks great! Just take it easy on her during the break in....

As for the ambulance in the parking lot at App's Saturday morning, that was for a friend of mine who is part of a hard working crew of Oneida Lake diehards from Rochester...This man passed out in his shanty due to sudden low blood pressure, he fell right on top of his heater and thankfully was found soon after by ice shanty member "devo" ( nice finally meeting you bud) who quickly extinguished him, completely melting his THICK black mittens in the process, he would have surely burned to death if not found when he was.... After he was rushed off the ice to an awaiting ambulance he was then rushed to the hospital where he was brought back to stable condition, and returned to his home Sunday.

Other than all that, I set off for CheektoVegas 2 hrs later than I was supposed to because I locked my keys in the truck just as I was ready to leave for home Sunday morning....YAYYYYYYY!!!!! :P

Man, it's ALWAYS somethin'........ :-\
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #4945 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:11 AM »
well I took it out on the lake yesterday and had no problem going thru that snow in AWD. but I have to take it back over to have them look at it. it stalled on me 2 times yesterday. I let it warm up and drove it about 100 yards and it just stopped like it ran out of gas. went to start it and would not even fire. I opened the gas cap and air came out ??? put the cap back on and it started right up no problem. ??? like I said it did that twice yesterday. it is very cold blooded but they told me that it would be.
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4946 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:11 AM »
Well back at it again yesterday and me and the girlfriend wet searching again, this time I did find afew eyes and some slob perch. They were on fire early and then we picked away at the perch throughout the day

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4947 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:15 AM »
Nice perch!

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #4948 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:15 AM »
nice fish guys ;D
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4949 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:26 AM »
She was happy to have gotten acouple slob perch, but everytime up she was like I wanted a walleye, lol. She got broke into the club of not putting your pole to close to the heater, you guessed it blub blub blub jig down the hole and her looking at me like what happened, lmao it was apricless look but told her weve all done that. Met anice guy named Stanley when I went to his shanty with some chilly dogs we made. Glad you enjoyed them and I helped him download the navionics map on his phone that he didn't know he could. All in all agreat day. When we left the ice yesterday nobody on the ride in or in the parking lot

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.