New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827171 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #4620 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:33 AM »
  I write the highlights of a good day and or bad in a calendar, calendar boxes are small so it helps you keep from writing too much nonsense down, 

I do the same thing...   Not only fishing but hunting and every days weather...   ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4621 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:38 AM »
for you guys that keep diaries..........do you do it on the ice or water, or do you wait till you get home?      you know us fisherman...the worse our memory gets the better the fishin' was ;D ::)   I am 41 and maybe a little late to start,  but i got a 3 yr old son that will benefit from us doing this now.....later in life!    I cherish the day my teenaged boy comes home and says...."dad we killed them in that same spot from our diary a million years ago!!!!!!!"

Too old at 41 !!!!! Gosh, you have another 40 years of fishing and another 10 to 15 of reading the diary's back and enjoying it all again.. 
I started one when I started coming to Fl for the winters.. After 2 winters I soon noticed the largest Bass I got were the 3rd or 4th day before a full moon with the 3rd day being the best.   8 of the 10 largest fish over 14 years  have been caught on those days..On the other hand, the best days for bream (gills) are the day before and day of a full moon...   Things like that allow you to make good decisions on what days to fish if you can`t fish everyday...   

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #4622 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:41 AM »
Definitely a tough walk if that is what you are doing, Deep snow like 10-12 inches. You will give yourself a coronary walking in this stuff for sure. I made a trail out to little island on the sled and then rode back down it to help a bit. The snowmobilers will be out in force this weekend to pack down some paths though, which would help a bit. 4 wheelers are going to have a tough go for sure, especially with a large sled behind them.

cny

I'll just add my 2 cents, for whatever it's worth...... I used to have a much harder time in deep snow out there with the quad, even with chains on. While she still has her limitations, (Say 16-18 inches with slush underneath),  I finally realized the one man fish trap pro I was dragging around with a universal tow bar on it to make is nice and legal and all, was actually acting as nothing more than an anchor!  Once I decided to CARRY my trap on the back of my quad it made getting around MUCH easier, I've been rolling like this for at least 5-6 years now and will NEVER pull a shanty behind me again!  Traveling this way keeps things I'm carrying with me much safer from damage, my trap NEVER gets filled with snow, water, slush or other debris, and when it comes to crack crossing  it's always nice knowing I'm not dragging anything behind me that can and inevitably WILL get mired up in one way or another.  Just thought I'd share my experience in case anyone wants to give it a try.  I installed a " drop basket" on the back of my quad when I bought my first machine back in 04', I used to fill it up with buckets and what not, but it actually holds a one man flip top tub style shack PERFECTLY!  I have an Arctic Cat 4 x 4 which has the speed racks, so I bought 2 round bucket holders for each side on back and walah, a place for everything, and for everything a safe, SECURE place!

Here's my rig , my buddies sitting in front of it......... The buckets aren't in the holders.

Here's another view with buckets on board....

Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4623 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:44 AM »
Hey ICE-ADDICT...if you don't mind me asking, how and where do you transport your rods?

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #4624 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:57 AM »

You buffalo boys were the only ones doing 30 mph last weekend, I said something to my buddy brian on our way in...
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline blkgmc79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4625 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:01 AM »
Up on north shore right now 10"ish snow been marking fish all morning till went deep all lookers no takers in 20"  marking a pile of fish seems to be all dinks... been tryin everything anyone else out or got anyideas? PM me if ya want
if u carry it out carry it back in!!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4626 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:09 AM »

I'll just add my 2 cents, for whatever it's worth...... I used to have a much harder time in deep snow out there with the quad, even with chains on. While she still has her limitations, (Say 16-18 inches with slush underneath),  I finally realized the one man fish trap pro I was dragging around with a universal tow bar on it to make is nice and legal and all, was actually acting as nothing more than an anchor!  Once I decided to CARRY my trap on the back of my quad it made getting around MUCH easier, I've been rolling like this for at least 5-6 years now and will NEVER pull a shanty behind me again!  Traveling this way keeps things I'm carrying with me much safer from damage, my trap NEVER gets filled with snow, water, slush or other debris, and when it comes to crack crossing  it's always nice knowing I'm not dragging anything behind me that can and inevitably WILL get mired up in one way or another.  Just thought I'd share my experience in case anyone wants to give it a try.  I installed a " drop basket" on the back of my quad when I bought my first machine back in 04', I used to fill it up with buckets and what not, but it actually holds a one man flip top tub style shack PERFECTLY!  I have an Arctic Cat 4 x 4 which has the speed racks, so I bought 2 round bucket holders for each side on back and walah, a place for everything, and for everything a safe, SECURE place!

Here's my rig , my buddies sitting in front of it......... The buckets aren't in the holders.

Exactly where my thoughts are - I just have not come up with a design that will carry my Shappell 150.  I'll get there though.  ;D

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4627 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:14 AM »
Phil,
I'm not sure how the Frabill is made but just looking at the Otter cover and the trim is plastic...so probably have to use washers. The Clam has a vinyl covered metal trim and didn't need them. Gotta make trip to the hardware store anyway as they gave me small self tapping screws to assemble the poles with...not happening on this one!
I put an Otter together last year.  The Frabill has a vinyl-covered metal trim molding.  I think I'll try the 3/16"X1/2" aluminum rivets I have.  Might have to pick up some longer ones.  Maybe stainless?  Maybe stainless rivets to hold the wear-bars on the bottom as well?

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4628 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:18 AM »

You buffalo boys were the only ones doing 30 mph last weekend, I said something to my buddy brian on our way in...

Yessir!  Nothing like not worrying about what's going on behind you! It's ALL on board and all secure!

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4629 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:25 AM »
Hey ICE-ADDICT...if you don't mind me asking, how and where do you transport your rods?

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Chris, I have a soft sided case in my fish trap with a few rods in it, mainly ones I would use when inside my shack, that case also stores  other essentials such as xtra gloves, hats, jig boxes, first aid kit, jerky, sandwiches, candy bars, water, etc.......I have a 42" St.Croix rigid rod case secured to  my front rack that houses my 2 favorite long rods and a jig box or two.....Mainly used when fishing on my bucket. ( preferred method!)

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4630 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:47 AM »
Up on north shore right now 10"ish snow been marking fish all morning till went deep all lookers no takers in 20"  marking a pile of fish seems to be all dinks... been tryin everything anyone else out or got anyideas? PM me if ya want

What are you targeting? Dead stick with a minnow while youre jiggin. When they're picky I find my jig draws them and the live bait gets the bite.

Offline YaNkEmOuT88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4631 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:04 AM »
  Take notes, have diaries back too 1981 on Cayuga lake where I grew up, even though I grew up there, it still took 5-6 yrs to pattern my hometown trout and salmon, when I started 11 yrs ago ice fishin Oneida, I kept diaries for the first 8 yrs, once I developed general patterns, I stopped writing complete diaries, just write down occational things I thought were important, I know 5-6 yrs, 8 yrs seems like forever now, I'm mad if I miss last weeks bite too.  but you'll be a better man for it 4 yrs down the road.
4-8 years might be a long time but im only 25 so I have alot of time left for fishing so it would be well worth it... Im always eager to learn new things.. I take everything I hear into consideration as every little detail helps...so if there is anyone who wants to teach this young buck
A few things on all eyes and ears

Offline spoon-n-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "Original" Perch Pirate
« Reply #4632 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:09 AM »
2 dozen #3 raps in the good colors and you can have it ;D

Ill trade for one dozen...

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4633 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:14 AM »
That's  a nice rig addict.  Sometimes the biggest challenge with ice fishing is just getting where your going with your stuff in one piece. 

I use a plastic case for my rods, the kind that you would store wrapping paper in or something. I think it's 34"? I used rubber cement to glue a foam pad on the top and bottom, it snaps shut but a bungee goes around it to make sure it stays closed. It holds 6 rods no problem. It is simple and cheap.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4634 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:14 AM »

I do the same thing...   Not only fishing but hunting and every days weather...   ;D

X2 - I have a fishing and hunting log. I don't record much weather info. I just go back and look at wunderground for the weather on that particular day. It is fun to look back through the logs and relive those great days in your mind.

Offline blkgmc79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4635 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:19 AM »
Thanks 315 tryin to get some perch but I'll be happy with an eye or 2 I'll try the dead stick...time to move again haven't marked a thing in 30 min or so
if u carry it out carry it back in!!

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #4636 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:26 AM »

That is a nice set up john. and I am getting tired if pulling that boat anchor around also. going to look into doing something like you have on this new wheeler
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4637 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:30 AM »
Shappell makes a nice rack for a one man shack it holds my clam scout very nicely and you can get them for under 30$ from sportsmans guide
Dave

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4638 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:36 AM »
That is a nice set up john. and I am getting tired if pulling that boat anchor around also. going to look into doing something like you have on this new wheeler

The Shapell one is nice HT, but I would go with the Drop basket, it's much more universal for different circumstances. The nice thing about the Shapell Design is you can still have a passenger if you'd like, personally I don't worry about that.  ;D

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4639 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:41 AM »
thats a very nice set up ice-addict, I was wondering what kind of power head do you have on the nils?

Offline Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4640 on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:16 PM »
Looks like a gator head on the nills
Local Shop with Local Knowledge

Phone   (315) 676-2144
Website  https://www.facebook.com/BartelRdBaitTackle

Offline NiceFishDad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4641 on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:29 PM »
got 35 gills today. what a beautiful day !! except for the knucklehead that heard me catching fish. I was in my shanty, and this guy comes up , and stands next to my shanty for 5 minutes. he asked me once if I was getting any, and stood there listening. he goes back to his shanty throws everything in, and comes over dragging his shanty. he proceedes to cut a hole, and fishes 5', yes 5' from me. I said are you !@#$%%ing kidding me ??? ???. " RESPECT" people !!!!!! i'm with you ice add. I'm going to come unglued soon, very soon !!   Sully...
FishHook...I would have at least said nice job to you and walked away.
Fish On!

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4642 on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:36 PM »
thats a very nice set up ice-addict, I was wondering what kind of power head do you have on the nils?

That is indeed an Ice Gator drive, I upgraded the power source to  lithium Ion battery pack, it made a HUGE difference in total package weight, with a reduction of 10 lbs.  It came with a lead acid battery pack which utilizes two tandem 12 volt lead acid batteries, and I don't think I have to tell you just how heavy two of those are! :o

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4643 on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:48 PM »
...I have a 42" St.Croix rigid rod case secured to  my front rack that houses my 2 favorite long rods and a jig box or two.....Mainly used when fishing on my bucket. ( preferred method!)

Thanks John...I was assuming it was something like that.  I am just taking some notes on how to layout all the brackets and mounts on the my future four-wheeler.

Cheers,
Chris

Offline NiceFishDad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4644 on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:52 PM »
Went out during the snow storm and caught two pigs in three minutes...It only took three hours for the guys to swim by!
Fish On!

Offline NiceFishDad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4645 on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:53 PM »
Hey guys how can I post pics of my days catch?
Fish On!

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4646 on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:54 PM »
thanks ice addict, I will have to look into that. It would be nice to have some power when the ice gets thick as I drill 7 holes every time we set up in an area. the wife gets out of drilling her own holes, the nils is to tall for her lol

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4647 on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:56 PM »

ICE-ADDICT, very nice set up!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #4648 on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:57 PM »
I plan on getting the Otter XL1200 one man next year, anyone have on or an Idea if I could use that setup on my ATV. That is sweet!!
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #4649 on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:59 PM »

The Shapell one is nice HT, but I would go with the Drop basket, it's much more universal for different circumstances. The nice thing about the Shapell Design is you can still have a passenger if you'd like, personally I don't worry about that.  ;D

I love my old Ryan's rack and has worked well for me over the years to get the trap off the ground.  Different design and still leaves the whole back rack open but doesn't allow for the drop basket. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.