New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827175 times)

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #4530 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:36 AM »
Is the ice safe straight out at Sylvan beach?  I'm thinking about going there this weekend.  I don't plan on going anywhere near the channel.  Mostly in north bay and close to edgewater.  Thanks.

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #4531 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:38 AM »
Is the ice safe straight out at Sylvan beach?  I'm thinking about going there this weekend.  I don't plan on going anywhere near the channel.  Mostly in north bay and close to edgewater.  Thanks.

Yes the ice fine, might be a bit sloppy depending on the snow totals but there is plenty of ice.
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4532 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:44 AM »
Yes the ice fine, might be a bit sloppy depending on the snow totals but there is plenty of ice.

Thanks.  I'm going to try to catch some white perch.  Does anyone know how the white perch bite is over there this year?  I don't ever see any posts about them.  I wonder if people are ashamed to say they're after them.  Either that or not a lot of people target them considering perch and walleye are so much more popular.

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #4533 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:46 AM »
Thanks.  I'm going to try to catch some white perch.  Does anyone know how the white perch bite is over there this year?  I don't ever see any posts about them.  I wonder if people are ashamed to say they're after them.  Either that or not a lot of people target them considering perch and walleye are so much more popular.

Not many people target them. Most people are after the walleyes and yellows. I've never had a white perch so I can say how they are eating
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4534 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:49 AM »
Not many people target them. Most people are after the walleyes and yellows. I've never had a white perch so I can say how they are eating

People's opinion vary on the species.  It's a love/hate thing with them.  I like the taste, so does my dad.  I'm going to try to get him some.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #4535 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:50 AM »
speaking of morons....was fishing yesterday with a couple of buddies out in front of constantia, it was painfully slow so we were just sort of bs'ing but we were pretty close together....there wasn't a soul within a mile of us at 3:30 when a snowmobile comes down the lake pretty slow and heads straight towards us.....goes by us within 30' or so without stopping to say anything or even a quick wave....would have been really ticked if we were on fish....just kinda laughed it off but was really rude and stupid....ya can't fix stupid I guess....done venting,sorry

Offline A-TOM-MIK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasing perch the last 27 years
« Reply #4536 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:00 AM »
Yup rough ride for sure even when trying to crawl on a sled or wheeler, had to send one of my last 4 Coleman focus 5's to the graveyard a few days ago, only 2 left now ): Prolly should start carrying my 21 year old Vex on my lap. Anyone know of a fix for this on my heater? Not interested in any other brand just to fix these I think I have a few others kicking around also I'd like to fix.
I aint' got a lot but I think I got it made !!! In the shade...........
- Hank Williams Jr.

Lovin' Life !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71EfNNRg_s
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1174207024#!/profile.php?id=1174207024

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4537 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:04 AM »
Yup rough ride for sure even when trying to crawl on a sled or wheeler, had to send one of my last 4 Coleman focus 5's to the graveyard a few days ago, only 2 left now ): Prolly should start carrying my 21 year old Vex on my lap. Anyone know of a fix for this on my heater? Not interested in any other brand just to fix these I think I have a few others kicking around also I'd like to fix.

I tried for years to repair mine ..............finally gave up as parts are impossible to find  :'(      check out how much guys are willing to pay for them on E bay ! I bought the smaller buddy to replace it and it's O.K.  ;D
ice fishing rules

Offline A-TOM-MIK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasing perch the last 27 years
« Reply #4538 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:09 AM »
Paid 29.99 for this one at Agway between 1990 and 1993, lol it served me well, but I wasn't paying attention DANG !!!
I aint' got a lot but I think I got it made !!! In the shade...........
- Hank Williams Jr.

Lovin' Life !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71EfNNRg_s
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1174207024#!/profile.php?id=1174207024

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #4539 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:15 AM »
  I went to pull my tripod out for my camera Tom, the legs just fell off, found them and screwed them back on, went too set up my fishfinder, one nob missing, found it, looked up on my shanty frame, half of my screws are missing, then looked right, 4 rips in my fabric, that   nils I bought, its shinsey blade cover came loose and ripped my shanty up good, lucky I didn't have it with me, it would be on the bottom of the lake, went back to my lazer, it packs easier and has a good blade cover.  that bumpy hard snow took its toll.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4540 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:17 AM »
About 6" on my car here in morrisville and coming down hard

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4541 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:20 AM »

only 2.3 inches up here, still got the upper level low to go threw, Oneida is inline to get a good whiteout here shortly, aint quite over yet.

Offline buck 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4542 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:23 AM »
Good day to fix the boiler
ml

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4543 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:28 AM »
Yesterday we drove Constantia-Cleveland and there are a lot of frozen ruts on the ice and with this new snow you won't be able to see them. Good thing is there is snow for people on sleds to keep their sliders cool. It might get tough for wheelers if we get more snow later as predicted. The pressure cracks are starting to form a bout in front of the school in Cleveland and in from of the state docks by App's. Just be prudent around them, the snow will cover up these pinky spots, but there is plenty of ice by them so they shouldn't be a big issue. \

cny 

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4544 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:39 AM »
Snag looks like your trips have been as eventful as mine, just got to laugh about it now but know how you feel wanted to run that wheeler into a wall after towing markie in lmao

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4545 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:40 AM »

Some good memories of the old days Cross-eye-jig and DC. Jay didn't know you went for a swim in 1982 - what were you, like 12 years old ? Hope you and Tank are doing well.

Was 7 that day we went through Oneida. We were about 100 yards off shore, took us  a while to realize it was only about 4ft deep. Had an older gentleman on the sled w Tank and me and another guy on a dogsled type thing. The guys riding solo gunned it and made it to shore fine... Also went through Sandy Pond when I was 12. That was another mid week fish pounding trip that everyone was talking about fishing the weekend. Ice pretty much rotted out from under us. 11 of us fishing and 8 got wet...

Is Glen around fishing with you or is he out in MN? Alls well here - work, kids, and trying to fish here and there...

Cross - don't remember that guy. Im sure I talked to him, I spent more time socializing that fishing some days  ;D

About a foot of snow down here in the 607...

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #4546 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:44 AM »
Yesterday we drove Constantia-Cleveland and there are a lot of frozen ruts on the ice and with this new snow you won't be able to see them. Good thing is there is snow for people on sleds to keep their sliders cool. It might get tough for wheelers if we get more snow later as predicted. The pressure cracks are starting to form a bout in front of the school in Cleveland and in from of the state docks by App's. Just be prudent around them, the snow will cover up these pinky spots, but there is plenty of ice by them so they shouldn't be a big issue. \

cny
YOW!! The Hippie has spoken! How the heck are ya!??
Wayne W.

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4547 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:49 AM »
Scout57 that's the kinda thing im talking about, just couldn't hold it in on that day and had to let him have it, but don't like doing that as ive said when you open the can you get the whole can and its not pretty. Just want to relax and enjoy my friends and fish with the girlfriend, kinda scared her as well to hear me go off

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never Leave Fish to Find Fish
« Reply #4548 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:54 AM »
Get prepared guys. Sitting on the couch back in Rochester and the snow went from very light to I can't see the wood line 50 yards behind house. Its coming
Gotta Love Those Stripes !!!!!

Offline Mr. Freeze Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4549 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:54 AM »
Snagger....I had the same issue with my Nils master cover. If you purchase a strikemaster cover...it will fit the Nils....I have a 6 and 8" Nils and the cover's work great.  I too ripped my cover from a Nils...outstanding auger but lousy blade cover design...

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4550 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:57 AM »
Snag looks like your trips have been as eventful as mine, just got to laugh about it now but know how you feel wanted to run that wheeler into a wall after towing markie in lmao

my trips have been fine this yr kowboy, no real people problems, its when I'm home theres problems, either I'm sick or my boiler....got 27 hrs out of the boiler yesterday, when it kicked I cleaned chimney, now its on 16 hrs straight.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4551 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:58 AM »
Snagger....I had the same issue with my Nils master cover. If you purchase a strikemaster cover...it will fit the Nils....I have a 6 and 8" Nils and the cover's work great.  I too ripped my cover from a Nils...outstanding auger but lousy blade cover design...

wasn't my cover, my shanty, got to go buy an iron and get some patches.

Offline Mr. Freeze Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4552 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:08 AM »
Snagger... I meant my shanty ripped from the Nils cover falling off...I had to patch mine also....sucks...but the strikemaster black cover will fit and completely surround the blade and be a pretty good fit. 

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #4553 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:11 AM »
  I went to pull my tripod out for my camera Tom, the legs just fell off, found them and screwed them back on, went too set up my fishfinder, one nob missing, found it, looked up on my shanty frame, half of my screws are missing, then looked right, 4 rips in my fabric, that   nils I bought, its shinsey blade cover came loose and ripped my shanty up good, lucky I didn't have it with me, it would be on the bottom of the lake, went back to my lazer, it packs easier and has a good blade cover.  that bumpy hard snow took its toll.
Shane,
Which screws do you mean? If they are the ones that hold the trim seal in place, don't use them. I was told by an old friend years ago when I assembled my Clam to use pop rivets as the screws will work their way out. I did that and never had a problem. I am currently assembling an Otter 1200 lodge and will do the same thing.
Wayne W.

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #4554 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:15 AM »
  wasn't my cover, my shanty, got to go buy an iron and get some patches.
Last year my 8 inch cover came off my nils and cut my transducer cable on the Vex.... BS to pay that much for an auger and have to buy another cover.......

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4555 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:20 AM »
Check the screws on your auger blades before your next trip and make sure they are tight. They have a bad habit of coming loose from these bumpy rides. I lost a screw on my last trip.

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #4556 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:24 AM »
Last year my 8 inch cover came off my nils and cut my transducer cable on the Vex.... BS to pay that much for an auger and have to buy another cover.......
That sucks Eddie. Try a couple heavy duty rubber bands over the ends...always good to have some extra insurance...try cutting a few 1/2" strips from an old bike inner tube for the bands.
Wayne W.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4557 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:30 AM »
Shane,
Which screws do you mean? If they are the ones that hold the trim seal in place, don't use them. I was told by an old friend years ago when I assembled my Clam to use pop rivets as the screws will work their way out. I did that and never had a problem. I am currently assembling an Otter 1200 lodge and will do the same thing.
hardwater - I am putting a frabill together right now - i like your idea of pop rivets - do you use a backing washer?  Like do you drill completely through both sides of the trim and the sled?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4558 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:31 AM »
You guys with Nils augers,  I always had issues with the nils cover - got me a Cold-Snap cover this year - awesome - so far.

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #4559 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:37 AM »
hardwater - I am putting a frabill together right now - i like your idea of pop rivets - do you use a backing washer?  Like do you drill completely through both sides of the trim and the sled?
Phil,
I didn't use a washer...the rivet will bite into the seal just a little and that's good. I drilled completely through all.
Wayne W.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.