New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827180 times)

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #4290 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:37 AM »
There’s a lot of crying going on!  When you post pictures of your catch and stories of huge numbers over and over, how can you NOT expect this type of behavior?  It’s going to get much worse before it ever gets any better.  I tend to move on rather than complain, but it really doesn’t bother me as much as it seems to bother others here.  I understand a lot of guys are driving a long ways to get to the lake and they want to make the most of their hard earned money.  Most guys I come across have been pleasant, and I laugh at the ones that are not.  It seems counterintuitive to be miserable while you are fishing.  I’ve learned from fishing the lake for 40 years and rarely interact with other fishermen.  I always help out anyone who asks.  To me it’s as much fun watching someone else have a good day as it is having one.  Lighten up Francis!   @)
Follow the bubbles...

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4291 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:45 AM »
I like the camaraderie sometimes. It is more fun to see success between a few people rather than keeping it to yourself. But there are some real jackholes out there. I keep my fish in my pail because I've had people drill a literal 10ft distance away. If it was an IS guy I wouldn't care. Idk. Simple fishing etiquette.

Offline scottcny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4292 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:52 AM »
Well said Otis.

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #4293 on: Feb 03, 2014, 11:10 AM »
A chainsaw with an 18" bar would be easier than a hand auger ... anyone have any input why it wouldn't... I was thinking of using screws and screw gun to get the block of ice out of the hole.... 14" of ice sucks with a hand auger, just trying to find an easier way without pulling the trigger on a $500 propane unit

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4294 on: Feb 03, 2014, 11:14 AM »
Sharpen your blades. I don't really find it that hard to get through ice with my auger. For 500 beans why not get a gas auger?

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #4295 on: Feb 03, 2014, 11:18 AM »
Cross- Eyed Jig,  Awesome Post, thanks for sharing your insight and history.  I love hearing all the great stories from the "old days" - hopefully, I'll have a few of my own to pass along.

My Uncle told me of the time he decided to go ice fishing on Oneida - it just happened to be his wedding day - but he figured he and the best man had a few hours in the morning to spare.  So off they went and drove out  onto the lake in his truck, which promptly became stuck in the ice and slush.  They had to hurry back to the farm to get a tractor to yank the truck out - all in time for his nuptials!  They didn't get any fish that day, but he did make it to church on time. 

I'm "paying my dues" on Oneida; I've read all these posts and try to make my own path - sometimes I hit it - so far this year - I have not.  I brought a guy out with me for his first trip to Oneida a few weeks ago and showed him around a little.  This weekend he went by himself and he caught a bunch of perch.  I'm as happy as he is that he did! 

If someone wants to come over and fish nearby, that's cool.  If I walk by someone and they look up, I'll say "hi, how's the fishing".  If I want to drill a hole 50' away, I'll ask if it's okay first, no one has ever said no, but if they do, I'll just move on.  Like someone said - it's a big lake.  It never hurts to be a little friendly!

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4296 on: Feb 03, 2014, 11:26 AM »
Great post Cross Eye!

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4297 on: Feb 03, 2014, 11:28 AM »
A chainsaw with an 18" bar would be easier than a hand auger ... anyone have any input why it wouldn't... I was thinking of using screws and screw gun to get the block of ice out of the hole.... 14" of ice sucks with a hand auger, just trying to find an easier way without pulling the trigger on a $500 propane unit

I think Stickbow hit the nail on the head.  Sounds like you need new blades.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Icemark247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4298 on: Feb 03, 2014, 11:30 AM »
^ x2
Hard Water Addict
FISH ON!!!!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4299 on: Feb 03, 2014, 11:34 AM »
Very MESSY!  If you must - make your cuts like in inverted pyramid - the block will float up, easy to remove.  @) ::)

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4300 on: Feb 03, 2014, 11:39 AM »

15 inches plus makes you a more patient fisherman as the thoughts of cutting a new hole will slow you down.. Now just learn how to concentrate..

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4301 on: Feb 03, 2014, 11:43 AM »
Cross- Eyed Jig,  Awesome Post, thanks for sharing your insight and history.  I love hearing all the great stories from the "old days" - hopefully, I'll have a few of my own to pass along.

My Uncle told me of the time he decided to go ice fishing on Oneida - it just happened to be his wedding day - but he figured he and the best man had a few hours in the morning to spare.  So off they went and drove out  onto the lake in his truck, which promptly became stuck in the ice and slush.  They had to hurry back to the farm to get a tractor to yank the truck out - all in time for his nuptials!  They didn't get any fish that day, but he did make it to church on time. 

I'm "paying my dues" on Oneida; I've read all these posts and try to make my own path - sometimes I hit it - so far this year - I have not.  I brought a guy out with me for his first trip to Oneida a few weeks ago and showed him around a little.  This weekend he went by himself and he caught a bunch of perch.  I'm as happy as he is that he did! 

If someone wants to come over and fish nearby, that's cool.  If I walk by someone and they look up, I'll say "hi, how's the fishing".  If I want to drill a hole 50' away, I'll ask if it's okay first, no one has ever said no, but if they do, I'll just move on.  Like someone said - it's a big lake.  It never hurts to be a little friendly!

Otto,  You da man

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never Leave Fish to Find Fish
« Reply #4302 on: Feb 03, 2014, 11:46 AM »
You see we all have opinions but even though we post pics and counts of what we caught doesn't give someone the right to pull up 30' away and set up. Those of us on here that do post pics and counts have earned our keep with many hours on the water. I have been going to Oneida since I was 4 years old with my gramps when there was ice houses not shanty's and the heaves were sometimes 10' tall and they used chainsaws to cut through them to get through. The post that Cross did was just like many of us growing up. This new generation isn't like that, there are most that have some respect but there's always that group that wants its handed to them. I for one share info but I am learning myself so I don't give everything. Yah the lake is big and there are fish all over so when do get a bucket full or a limit of eyes, its an accomplishment for all the time we put in so yah I am gonna brag cause its doesn't happen every time. I don't know what else to say without getting upset so let's just fish, have fun regardless of the good days or the bad. And yah I with others am one of those guys who drives 2 hours to get there. I Love It
Gotta Love Those Stripes !!!!!

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4303 on: Feb 03, 2014, 11:54 AM »
If I am not mistaken we go through this same rant every season. LOL
Repeat, what did you say Pete, Repeat.    :) :)

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4304 on: Feb 03, 2014, 12:09 PM »
Meat hunter watch Craigslist bought a jiffy lightening Legion for 75 bucks just need to be patient and it was not a old beat up unit either according to jiffy the serial number shows it a 2005 model looks like it was never used. Craigslist is like fishing spend your time looking around and be ready to strike when opportunity presents it's self

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4305 on: Feb 03, 2014, 12:14 PM »
Hope somebody comes up with the info on this derby tonight.

Wouldn't mind coming down and fishing it.

Decent entry fee amount to make for big prizes.

Before I dedicate a day/weekend for the trip down I'd like to see a confirmation it's still gonna be held, the February 1st announcement date has come and gone and I've seen nothing.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline 1beaver

• IceShanty Rookie
  • trapper
« Reply #4306 on: Feb 03, 2014, 12:18 PM »
 just picked up a new jiffy lp gas auger.all i can saw is sweet.works great.not real loud and cuts great.worth every penny.ice to thick for me...
the bone

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4307 on: Feb 03, 2014, 12:25 PM »
My buddy has a propane work great and cuts fast a little heavier than my lightening but cuts way faster

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4308 on: Feb 03, 2014, 12:34 PM »
Very MESSY!  If you must - make your cuts like in inverted pyramid - the block will float up, easy to remove.  @) ::)

Phil, sounds like you've been watching Alaska the Last Frontier too much!!
It'll eat.

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #4309 on: Feb 03, 2014, 12:43 PM »
Sharpen your blades. I don't really find it that hard to get through ice with my auger. For 500 beans why not get a gas auger?

Bingo. You can drill just as fast with a good hand auger.

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4310 on: Feb 03, 2014, 12:50 PM »
I have a mag 3000 which has given me problems the last 2 weekends out. I think its a carb issue but anyhow yesterday was the last draw for me. Got on the quad and went to the local bait shop and bough there last laser 8" and it actually cut threw the ice faster and much quieter. The ice was 14" where we were and it was like butter.

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #4311 on: Feb 03, 2014, 12:51 PM »
Fished for a few hours this morning before making the trek home. Picked up a few perch right at daylight. Moved to an unproductive spot moved again and down sided to small spoons an picked up two nice eyes in 45 mins then had to pack it up. 

Fun weekend !

Not sure how this pic will look looked good on my phone.

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4312 on: Feb 03, 2014, 01:03 PM »
I'm pretty new to the Iceshanty site and enjoy reading the posts. Lately, all the posts are about who is infringing on who's spot. First of all what makes it your spot?  I realize that a lot of you have fished Oneida for a long time and have figured out some areas that hold fish better than others. But the Lake is owned by NYS. A couple of weeks ago I was dragging my sled out to Messenger Shoal and there were two guys out there on sleds looking around trying to figure out where the hump was. The one guy said he forgot his GPS. So I pulled mine out and told him to go North about 100yds and he would be on top of it. So they moved out to the North and I stayed on the South side and fished, moved a couple times with no luck. An hour or so later this guy comes over on his sled and said you need to get over here and fish these two holes, we just limited out in ten minutes! So I went over and we BS'd some and they headed out for perch and I proceeded to fish those holes and caught my limit plus ten that went back. I don't expect to hear or want to know where anyone's sweet "spots" are. I will find my way as you have. But, had I not told this guy which way to go they wouldn't have got their limit and the same for me. These aren't your spots, they are our spots!

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4313 on: Feb 03, 2014, 01:20 PM »
I don't think people are marking spots and claiming them. I think other fisher folk have poor etiquette at times. Theres a whole lake to fish. You don't need to drill 20ft away from me. One guy started drilling between my tipups then thought better of it. I don't mind people fishing nearby if theyre respectful. I actually enjoy fishing with folks more than I enjoy fishing alone. It's fun to share the experience. But there are some ridiculous people out there

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4314 on: Feb 03, 2014, 01:23 PM »
I'm pretty new to the Iceshanty site and enjoy reading the posts. Lately, all the posts are about who is infringing on who's spot. First of all what makes it your spot?  I realize that a lot of you have fished Oneida for a long time and have figured out some areas that hold fish better than others. But the Lake is owned by NYS. A couple of weeks ago I was dragging my sled out to Messenger Shoal and there were two guys out there on sleds looking around trying to figure out where the hump was. The one guy said he forgot his GPS. So I pulled mine out and told him to go North about 100yds and he would be on top of it. So they moved out to the North and I stayed on the South side and fished, moved a couple times with no luck. An hour or so later this guy comes over on his sled and said you need to get over here and fish these two holes, we just limited out in ten minutes! So I went over and we BS'd some and they headed out for perch and I proceeded to fish those holes and caught my limit plus ten that went back. I don't expect to hear or want to know where anyone's sweet "spots" are. I will find my way as you have. But, had I not told this guy which way to go they wouldn't have got their limit and the same for me. These aren't your spots, they are our spots!
That's what I'm talking about ................ a sloution instead of crying about your favorite spot if it's occupied !!!
ice fishing rules

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4315 on: Feb 03, 2014, 01:24 PM »
I think it's more about the etiquette than it being "their" spot. Don't come roaring up on your wheeler or sled and set up 20 ft away from somebody. That is just being disrespectful. If there is somebody on a spot you want to fish than go find somewhere else. The lake is huge. Tons of other structure that holds fish out on oneida. Yesterday, I fished (not oneida) and was walking out to some cords. There was a group of guys set up right where I wanted to be. I set up 100 yds short and proceeded to fish. I did descent anyways. My point is just be respectful to those other guys out there. If you wouldn't want somebody setting up right on top of you out in the middle of the lake then why would you do it to somebody else ???
It'll eat.

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4316 on: Feb 03, 2014, 01:25 PM »
315 you got your post up before I was finished typing mine. Exactly my thoughts as well..
It'll eat.

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4317 on: Feb 03, 2014, 01:39 PM »
I agree with what everyone is saying. I am just voicing out to those guys who probably don't even know ice shanty exists. My whole thought of it is if I am set up on a spot and I usually hit the same spots every time I go and someone else is there I move to the next one. If I am already set up and someone comes walking in and just sets up within 20 yards that kisses me off cause they don't think well that guy might want to move this way or that way so let me leave some room so he can move around if he wants to. I have now got in the habit of walking about 20 paces from my shanty and set my tip downs on all 4 sides. If you want to punch a hole next to them so be it just don't come inside that border or I will let you know your in the wrong. Plus I am Indian so the water actually belonged to us before anyone. HaHa just kidding but I am Mohawk Indian

Offline PAcatchreleaseman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • *happiness is 2 flags at once!*
« Reply #4318 on: Feb 03, 2014, 01:45 PM »
There’s a lot of crying going on!  When you post pictures of your catch and stories of huge numbers over and over, how can you NOT expect this type of behavior?  It’s going to get much worse before it ever gets any better.  I tend to move on rather than complain, but it really doesn’t bother me as much as it seems to bother others here.  I understand a lot of guys are driving a long ways to get to the lake and they want to make the most of their hard earned money.  Most guys I come across have been pleasant, and I laugh at the ones that are not.  It seems counterintuitive to be miserable while you are fishing.  I’ve learned from fishing the lake for 40 years and rarely interact with other fishermen.  I always help out anyone who asks.  To me it’s as much fun watching someone else have a good day as it is having one.  Lighten up Francis!   @)

+1
I was gonna go a lil harder on characters you mentioned but you worded that quite well @)

"You Gotta GET-HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMM!!!!!"

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4319 on: Feb 03, 2014, 02:14 PM »
Let me in this discussion ..please  ;)
 Yesterday I was on the ice , I fish a small lake compered whit Oneida , when I got there four individuals already set  tipups but they ware 75' apart if not more , now you do the math 20 tipups  ::) , is a rule regarding haw far tipups can be installed ? I jig only so I don't need allot of realstate .
The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.