New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827174 times)

Offline 315angler4life

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fish tremble at the sound of my name
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #4230 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:00 PM »
I'd have to completely disagree with snagger on this one, he claims he's not the best fisherman on this forum.... he's definatly up there. Lol  I have been out on Oneida a couple dozen times this year already with mixed results. Fished all over the lake, even headed all the way to the north shore a handful of times. Every time I come home I check the forum and snagger and his buddies are killing them. It has gotten to the point where I keep my eyes peeled for that man in the parking lot or on the lake  ;D I do all my own homework, plot points on the lake and all but it couldn't hurt to run into him on the lake. So for now I search for waldos.... but I'm always wondering where snagger is on the lake lol

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4231 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:03 PM »
were can i pick up a contor map so i can figure were to start.
I think APPs may have some maps - they used to anyways.  Those DC maps are not too detailed.
You can also "look" at the Navionics WEB App.  Make notes - transfer to a map and make a plan.  Fishing Hotspots has paper maps as well.

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4232 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:15 PM »
I'd have to completely disagree with snagger on this one, he claims he's not the best fisherman on this forum.... he's definatly up there. Lol  I have been out on Oneida a couple dozen times this year already with mixed results. Fished all over the lake, even headed all the way to the north shore a handful of times. Every time I come home I check the forum and snagger and his buddies are killing them. It has gotten to the point where I keep my eyes peeled for that man in the parking lot or on the lake  ;D I do all my own homework, plot points on the lake and all but it couldn't hurt to run into him on the lake. So for now I search for waldos.... but I'm always wondering where snagger is on the lake lol
Hate to say it but if you are fishing blind your best day wont be as good as Snagger's worse.  My first two years I fished blind it is hard to do.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4233 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:16 PM »
All I have to say is....go HAWKS!!

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #4234 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:47 PM »
Struggled bad today worst day iv had in the ice in a long time. Moved all over had all I could to mark fish lots on the bottom but couldn't get many to come up off.  Back out for one more try in the morning till I head back.

Offline Cusefan78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4235 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:50 PM »
Struggled bad today worst day iv had in the ice in a long time. Moved all over had all I could to mark fish lots on the bottom but couldn't get many to come up off.  Back out for one more try in the morning till I head back.
same with me. Moved all over the place tried shallow tried deep and everything in the middle. I got skunked my buddy caught a few dink walleye. Back out Tuesday
2011 King of the pond champion. Don't hate me cause I'm great!

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4236 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:53 PM »
well hope the ice smoothed out snow drifts were ruff last week will be out tuesday trying for the eyes in the evening, and hope the crowds went away with the weekend was jealous tho i hvent been out in anything but the single digits temps in 2 weeks

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4237 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:03 PM »
and for all the talk about noise, weather, and what ever else that helps or hurts the bite. the only thing i know for sure after 35+ years of fishing on that lake is the fish seem to always be biting somewhere on it and even if ur not catching them some one is. last week i sat in one spot temps were in the negatives didnt feel like moving had 8 perch at 1pm  and had fished since sunrise, by 3:30 my limit of perch was filled marked fish most of the time but wouldnt bite but when they started t bitting u couldnt keep them off the hook. i cant explain there were no changes in what i was using and the weather was the same and i was the only guy within a mile ....   

Offline A-TOM-MIK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasing perch the last 27 years
« Reply #4238 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:14 PM »
Its always 5 o'clock somewhere
I aint' got a lot but I think I got it made !!! In the shade...........
- Hank Williams Jr.

Lovin' Life !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71EfNNRg_s
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1174207024#!/profile.php?id=1174207024

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #4239 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:18 PM »
and for all the talk about noise, weather, and what ever else that helps or hurts the bite. the only thing i know for sure after 35+ years of fishing on that lake is the fish seem to always be biting somewhere on it and even if ur not catching them some one is. last week i sat in one spot temps were in the negatives didnt feel like moving had 8 perch at 1pm  and had fished since sunrise, by 3:30 my limit of perch was filled marked fish most of the time but wouldnt bite but when they started t bitting u couldnt keep them off the hook. i cant explain there were no changes in what i was using and the weather was the same and i was the only guy within a mile ....   

That's what keeps me driving the hour, cause when they're hot they're hot

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4240 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:31 PM »
"always be biting somewhere on it and even if ur not catching them some one is."

Definitely agree with that!

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #4241 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:39 PM »
That's my motto as well! They're always biting somewhere! Keep on jiggin and movin!   Btw, I was done by 7:45 am this morning. Just sayin'
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4242 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:52 PM »
I was out for about 4 hours this morning. Fished 4 spots from 20-30 fow and couldn't get them to cooperate. Only landed one perch.  Tough morning for me today
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline Locoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4243 on: Feb 02, 2014, 08:12 PM »
by 3:30 my limit of perch was filled marked fish most of the time but wouldnt bite but when they started t bitting u couldnt keep them off the hook. i cant explain there were no changes in what i was using and the weather was the same and i was the only guy within a mile ....   

Been there done that many times. You just have to put in your time. They just move in and are ready to feed.
><> I was born to be a FISHERMAN !!!! <><

Offline 315angler4life

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fish tremble at the sound of my name
« Reply #4244 on: Feb 02, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Hate to say it but if you are fishing blind your best day wont be as good as Snagger's worse.  My first two years I fished blind it is hard to do.

I don't fish blind... I have a fish finder and navionics. But that guy and the lake sometimes make me think I am a complete idiot and have no clue what I'm doing. Lol. One of these days I will have all the knowledge, luck and marked spots to consistantly put it all together. Until then I keep on fishing.

Offline LOA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4245 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:31 PM »
Sometimes i have to wonder, how did people fish before flashers, smart phones and navionics?

Offline Gozzos

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4246 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:39 PM »
As i am fairly new to hard water fishing. Just wanted to say thanks for the info you guys put on here. I finally got my limit on eyes and twelve fat perch, whoo whoo. Just like you guys all keep saying keep moving and drilling .This is my first year using a flasher and wow it's amazing . Anyways good luck everyone

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4247 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:46 PM »
Sometimes i have to wonder, how did people fish before flashers, smart phones and navionics?

Haha come out with me I'll show ya :p L.o.a L.o.a l.o.a! Dig the name

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4248 on: Feb 02, 2014, 10:16 PM »

We fished for fun, no pressure to get the limit. Were taught by people who had to catch fish during the great depression or go hungry..I really think that time without power augers, snowmobiles, 4 wheelers and all the flashers, cameras, cell phones and maps, we had a lot more fun..  A pack basket with tip-ups and a bottle of Jaquints Ginger brandy..  , a pail of minnows in one hand and a spud in the other and away we went.. Used the same land structure to mark the spots we used in the summer.  We sat and waited for the fish to move through and most days, they did.Several times...

Offline fishaddict73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4249 on: Feb 03, 2014, 02:39 AM »
Went out from Apps Sun morn. Just about to hit the ice and I see a Clam and all its gear right at the big heave at shore. So by the looks of the rope, it appeared to be a break off from the sled and 3 wheelers crew that went out before me. So for 10 min I'm standing there in the dark waving in the direction of the headlights. No response!! So I pull my gear back up to my truck and am about to let Rick at Apps know( that gear weighed prolly 200lbs, Wasn't pulling that up that hill!!) when a guy comes up to me and says what the hell. That's my gear!! He had pulled it on and was waiting for his buddy. So I explained to him that by the looks of the rope it appeared to be a break off seeing how it was right on the access trail. Nice meeting u FishAddict. So I finally get out and , of course, like everyone else, got skunked. So on my way back in I stopped and had a conversation with a nice gentleman. Same thing with him and his crew: geting skunked!! So I start SLUSHING back and he pulls up behind me on his sled and gives me a ride back. Karma? Nice meeting you "Oakie" from Sodus. That ride helped out greatly seeing how i was already late on my wife"s "curfew" !!  Back at it on Weds!!
Life Is Good......Gone Fishin'!!!!

Offline Iceydan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chief of the Fugowie tribe
« Reply #4250 on: Feb 03, 2014, 05:09 AM »
We fished for fun, no pressure to get the limit. Were taught by people who had to catch fish during the great depression or go hungry..I really think that time without power augers, snowmobiles, 4 wheelers and all the flashers, cameras, cell phones and maps, we had a lot more fun..  A pack basket with tip-ups and a bottle of Jaquints Ginger brandy..  , a pail of minnows in one hand and a spud in the other and away we went.. Used the same land structure to mark the spots we used in the summer.  We sat and waited for the fish to move through and most days, they did.Several times...

THATS WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT old timer!!! I appreciate that you guys did all that like the guys who took me when I was a kid and I APPRECIATE that whole experience and so do others here like snagger and august west but I've fished with AUgust west and he's not going to put you on the best spots he knows nor will anyone else if you're not bringing something to the table too nor should he be asked to. I mean do the guys who want someone to do that offer up any spots or are they even out trying to find any to offer? Usually those people are not.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4251 on: Feb 03, 2014, 05:55 AM »
One of my ice fishing partners is an old timer that I have known since birth which would be 35 years. He has taught me a lot of stuff over the years. That's how we used to find our spots by using landmarks before gps.  Don't have as much time to fish anymore with owning a business and the family so gps and flashers help me make better use of my time.

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4252 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:02 AM »
As i am fairly new to hard water fishing. Just wanted to say thanks for the info you guys put on here. I finally got my limit on eyes and twelve fat perch, whoo whoo. Just like you guys all keep saying keep moving and drilling .This is my first year using a flasher and wow it's amazing . Anyways good luck everyone
Congratulations Gozzos.  That's a good day!  You can look at some of numbers posted here and get depressed or discouraged sometimes. I know I do.  But then all you have to do is look down the lake and see all the people out there and you realize only a handful of really skilled anglers are doing it consistently.  Most people would be extremely satisfied with that day! 

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4253 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:24 AM »
I don't fish blind... I have a fish finder and navionics. But that guy and the lake sometimes make me think I am a complete idiot and have no clue what I'm doing. Lol. One of these days I will have all the knowledge, luck and marked spots to consistantly put it all together. Until then I keep on fishing.
Sorry had you confused with 315stickbow. Too many pre game beverages

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #4254 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:35 AM »
KEPT my 9 eyes for the weekend ( fri, sat and sun) before anyone tries pouncing on me! Caught around 30 keepers, dropped just as many, and lots of shorts. Kept a total of 27 jumbos, biggest was a 14, kept none under 10. Fished several areas, best ones were in the mid 30's. Accessed north shore as always, as I am a true blue north shore thugg!  Kept my cool as I was completely disrespected by a few groups of southerners, wasn't easy.  Just don't get the philosophy of " Hmmmm, there's a few guys fishing by themselves without another fisherman within 2 miles of them, let's do drive bye's and see if there are any fish on the ice by them , and if so we will call the rest of the posse of lousy fisherman we're out here with and we will all rip holes 30 feet away from them and circle them like a swat team!"   SO Frickin Lame!!! Get some pride and respect !! Give people some damn space out there!!! That lake is ENORMOUS!!! I know, I know, it's the same old crap every year, but as I get older I have LESS and less patience for the lack of common sense and complete disregard people have for others out there. Makes me furious!
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4255 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:07 AM »
That's my motto as well! They're always biting somewhere! Keep on jiggin and movin!   Btw, I was done by 7:45 am this morning. Just sayin'

Bragger!!!  ;D

Like kingfisher said, confidence is huge!

Not everyone can pick and chose the days that they fish. Most of us only get out on the weekends for a day. Use all of the tools at your disposal and maximize your time out there.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4256 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:12 AM »
Well said Bruce!!

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4257 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:46 AM »
The said part about this is it makes it hard for Someone to ask for help I fish Chippewa bay on the st Lawrence up there everyone is very respectfully of each other they are willing to help a compleat stranger. Oneida is a different animal you get afraid to approach anyone simple because your not sure how the reception will be. I live ten min from Oneida lake but am afraid to take my 12 yr old son out on the lake. I am trying to teach him how to respect people and there values but some time Oneida lake is like going to a bills game. No respect for the person sitting next to you. I fished the lake as a kid and it was enjoyable everyone picked up after them self's and sleds respected ice fisherman. From the sounds of things that's no longer the case. I value the knowledge of the elders or the knowledge of anyone I will never stop learning.

Offline buck 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4258 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:52 AM »
The said part about this is it makes it hard for Someone to ask for help I fish Chippewa bay on the st Lawrence up there everyone is very respectfully of each other they are willing to help a compleat stranger. Oneida is a different animal you get afraid to approach anyone simple because your not sure how the reception will be. I live ten min from Oneida lake but am afraid to take my 12 yr old son out on the lake. I am trying to teach him how to respect people and there values but some time Oneida lake is like going to a bills game. No respect for the person sitting next to you. I fished the lake as a kid and it was enjoyable everyone picked up after them self's and sleds respected ice fisherman. From the sounds of things that's no longer the case. I value the knowledge of the elders or the knowledge of anyone I will never stop learning.
    if you think oneida is bad you better never go to seneca lake. thats a fighting lake. people are nuts there the fish spook real easy.but when your on them you are on them.big slob jack perch. they fight like a small mouth.
ml

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4259 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:00 AM »
And that said you try to teach the next generation wright from wrong and you get two guys fighting over a hole in the ice. That exactly why I will not go near Pulaski in the fall. A couple yrs ago had a guy from pa and another for NJ fighting over the next one to use the launch,to the point I could not pull my boat out so they could both launch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.