New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827188 times)

Offline wallyeyebob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got ice??????????
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #3960 on: Jan 31, 2014, 05:51 AM »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( my camera died yesterday, I have a 5'' monitor and case , it's a vs250 by Marcum I've had for 8 years and they don't make parts for it anymore. anyone interested just pm me, I called Marcum spoke with chris he was kinda rude, so he said it would cost $150 for a new camera, for a $100 more , I could buy a new one , I checked out a vex . Marcum is out of luck. gonna get the vex for $  249.00 free shipping. I already have a vexlar flasher. but still like the camera. oh yea I have the weight too. bob

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3961 on: Jan 31, 2014, 06:53 AM »
I snuck out last night and fished from 3:30-5:00. After I drilled my first hole I lost one of the screws for my auger blades so I couldn't move around at all. Bite was slow where I was fishing. Squeaked out a limit of keepers and 5 shorts though. Gonna head out today at some point
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3962 on: Jan 31, 2014, 06:59 AM »
Is there enough snow for a sled ?

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3963 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:04 AM »
Yes....very rough riding though like filet and release mentioned.  Lots of snowdrifts that hardened right up
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3964 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:27 AM »
>:( >:( >:( >:( my camera died yesterday, I have a 5'' monitor and case , it's a vs250 by Marcum I've had for 8 years and they don't make parts for it anymore. anyone interested just pm me, I called Marcum spoke with chris he was kinda rude, so he said it would cost $150 for a new camera, for a $100 more , I could buy a new one , I checked out a vex . Marcum is out of luck. gonna get the vex for $  249.00 free shipping. I already have a vexlar flasher. but still like the camera. oh yea I have the weight too. bob
i got the same one, if u need to check yours to see whats broke let me know, double check it with a different battery. The battery is the only thing I had bad on mine

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #3965 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:35 AM »

great job racer and pooch

Thanks Freddie

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #3966 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:38 AM »
My dad always used to say that you can't hurt Oneida with a hand line. The lake is just too big. It will take something else like cormorants to hurt the population in this lake.

When I was a kid the shanty towns were huge. There seems like less pressure nowadays.

We are selfish, we want all the fish to ourselves. Tomorrow will be a zoo but if you look at the big picture it is great for the local economy. When "your" spot gets invaded just except the challange and go find another bunch of fish. That being said I can already hear the cuss words coming out of my mouth tomorrow morning... ;D

Well Said!!!

Offline Spikehorn11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3967 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:57 AM »

I have that camera to. Last year some water got in the monitor,or something else, and the screen would just roll. Thought for sure it was toast. Took it home and dried it out. Started working again. Hope it lasts me a couple more years.

Offline Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3968 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:14 AM »
Hey guys we have tickets to the south shore derby $7 adults $1 kids we will have them till 9, tommorrow morn0
Local Shop with Local Knowledge

Phone   (315) 676-2144
Website  https://www.facebook.com/BartelRdBaitTackle

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3969 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:19 AM »
My dad always used to say that you can't hurt Oneida with a hand line. The lake is just too big. It will take something else like cormorants to hurt the population in this lake.

When I was a kid the shanty towns were huge. There seems like less pressure nowadays.

We are selfish, we want all the fish to ourselves. Tomorrow will be a zoo but if you look at the big picture it is great for the local economy. When "your" spot gets invaded just except the challange and go find another bunch of fish. That being said I can already hear the cuss words coming out of my mouth tomorrow morning... ;D

Years ago... the size was 12 inches, limit 15, way back 25..  Like now, some knew how/where to fish and caught a lot of walleyes. They would catch their limit and leave.  Now the "can catch" guys catch and release 40. 50 or more when on a bite.  Everyone thinks they all live when they swim away. If they knew how many went to the bottom and died they might back off.   Expect it is a wash between that and taking 15 or 25 off the ice.. There were a lot of fishermen years ago but they were sitters.. Put a shack out and go to it everyday and maybe moving it 2 or 3 times a year..   Even then some would get their limits, some a few and some none... There were crowds on the weekends but weekdays were very slim.. On the average, fishermen are much better now , all due to maps and electronics..
Oneida lake Eyes, and fishermen, have been blessed with several years in a row of great hatches and a continuous supply with no gaps..  2 bad years will change that in a hurry.... It is a fragile system and getting more so as each invasive species arrives.. A bad year for either Eyes or perch and it gets tilted in a hurry..   Enjoy it while it is good...   Be considerate and safe.....

Offline Murph20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3970 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:26 AM »
Years ago... the size was 12 inches, limit 15, way back 25..  Like now, some knew how/where to fish and caught a lot of walleyes. They would catch their limit and leave.  Now the "can catch" guys catch and release 40. 50 or more when on a bite.  Everyone thinks they all live when they swim away. If they knew how many went to the bottom and died they might back off.   Expect it is a wash between that and taking 15 or 25 off the ice.. There were a lot of fishermen years ago but they were sitters.. Put a shack out and go to it everyday and maybe moving it 2 or 3 times a year..   Even then some would get their limits, some a few and some none... There were crowds on the weekends but weekdays were very slim.. On the average, fishermen are much better now , all due to maps and electronics..
Oneida lake Eyes, and fishermen, have been blessed with several years in a row of great hatches and a continuous supply with no gaps..  2 bad years will change that in a hurry.... It is a fragile system and getting more so as each invasive species arrives.. A bad year for either Eyes or perch and it gets tilted in a hurry..   Enjoy it while it is good...   Be considerate and safe.....

Well said... The guys that catch 20, 30, 40 and release,, are a joke... it does more harm than good....( this will get em goin)..

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #3971 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:32 AM »
Hopefully adjustments are made to anticipate the impact of technology... :-\
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline NiceFishDad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3972 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:33 AM »
This is a rant to the scumbag or scumbags who threw the 10-12 burbots on the ice out by 130 ! You sir or sirs are TRUE sportsmen. Take them over and let them go in another hole or leave them in a bucket till you leave. Your probably the same person who left the 18 pack of beer cans and 4 empty propane cylinders out there. Sorry for the rant
They could not keep the fish because the meth equipment was getting in the way!
Fish On!

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #3973 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:51 AM »
I agree with you 100 percent !!! they don't realize how many they are killing. the catch, and release law needs to be changed for the walleyes. when I get my limit of walleyes, I stop fishing for them. last year for opening day I got my limit in 20 minutes. I fired up the boat, and went home. I've seen a couple of bad years for the walleyes in the past, and don't want to see that again.

the barometer is just about right for some good fishin !!!   Sully...

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3974 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:06 AM »
The walleye hatches have actually been very low (per Cornell) over the last several years compared to what it was historically. However, the walleye population is at 500,000 adult walleyes right now and holding steady. Anglers take anywhere from 40,000-60,000 walleyes a year out of the lake. I expect that take to be on the high end this year. But 60,000 out of 500,000 is not a huge impact when you have even these marginal year classes coming up.

We can only speculate on the true impact that catch and release walleye has. Obviously, it can't have a positive effect. All I know is that I rarely see a dead walleye floating in the summer. I am more worried about the people that are actually breaking the law by taking too many fish.

X2 on the barometer, should be fishing today.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3975 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:18 AM »
The walleye hatches have actually been very low (per Cornell) over the last several years compared to what it was historically. However, the walleye population is at 500,000 adult walleyes right now and holding steady. Anglers take anywhere from 40,000-60,000 walleyes a year out of the lake. I expect that take to be on the high end this year. But 60,000 out of 500,000 is not a huge impact when you have even these marginal year classes coming up.

We can only speculate on the true impact that catch and release walleye has. Obviously, it can't have a positive effect. All I know is that I rarely see a dead walleye floating in the summer. I am more worried about the people that are actually breaking the law by taking too many fish.

X2 on the barometer, should be fishing today.

Wouldn't the success (or failure) of the hatchery in Constantia have a considerable impact on the EYE population.

So this past summer Black Lake got 80k fingerlings from that hatchery (1.5 - 2" fish) and they were marked with some of (tetracycline stuff?)  I want the tool to read that marking from top-side.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3976 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:23 AM »
You have to be smart about catch & release, like anything else. Don't C&R in deep water, don't do it with bait/hooks that can easily injure the fish, don't bring them into air temps that will shock or freeze them, etc.

Walleye are a pretty robust fish and fisheries all around the country have gotten better in recent years by utilizing slot limits and smart catch & release so I gotta believe it works.

My biggest, and most fun, days for releasing walleyes have come when I've gotten on mixed holes and every time I think I'm going to move to find perch I catch a few of them. Sit back to catch more perch and the walleye move back in, get ready to move and hit another few perch, repeat...

Offline wallyeyebob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got ice??????????
« Reply #3977 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:41 AM »
i got the same one, if u need to check yours to see whats broke let me know, double check it with a different battery. The battery is the only thing I had bad on mine
the 65' cord that attaches to the camera from the monitor had a short just a 1/2'' from  the top of the camera, so I thought I could fix it ,to no avail it's in the garbage . to replace the cord and camera (the part that goes in the water) it would cost $150. thanks anyway. the one I checked out is black and white or color. if you need the monitor or weight your welcome to them.case too it's time for an upgrade . bob

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3978 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:45 AM »
Wouldn't the success (or failure) of the hatchery in Constantia have a considerable impact on the EYE population.

It definitely has a big impact. I have a tough time wrapping my head around how big the impact is though. They strip 20,000 fish max to get 300 million eggs. So they are only using about 4% of the adult eyes to get the eggs. The other 96% (480,000) of the fish have to contribute something right?

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3979 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:56 AM »
As I understand. the hatchery returns only fry to the mother lake (Oneida).. I also understand they are flushed out of hatchery into the lake.. There are tons of fish of all varieties sitting at the mouth feeding on these fry..  Wouldn`t the fry have a better chance being spread out over the netting area to fend for themselves ?? Maybe by flooding the area at the mouth of the stream there are more that survive than if spread out on the shoals ??? 
Oneida lake has been good to a lot of waters in N.Y. supplying them with fingerlings to get a population going..

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3980 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:02 AM »
well fished the last 3 days and hit the perch well the first day being the best but the worst i did was 25 or 30. didnt move around same place all three days, but u could go an hour or more with out even marking a fish and then it was non stop for 20 minutes.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3981 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:04 AM »
As I understand. the hatchery returns only fry to the mother lake (Oneida).. I also understand they are flushed out of hatchery into the lake.. There are tons of fish of all varieties sitting at the mouth feeding on these fry..  Wouldn`t the fry have a better chance being spread out over the netting area to fend for themselves ?? Maybe by flooding the area at the mouth of the stream there are more that survive than if spread out on the shoals ??? 
Oneida lake has been good to a lot of waters in N.Y. supplying them with fingerlings to get a population going..

Been there several times - I believe all fry are transported out to the lake.  I have some video footage from this past year.

https://plus.google.com/photos/102817719104191180746/albums/5864624790968399441

Offline edbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get up and lets go fishin Gilly Bone..
« Reply #3982 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:05 AM »
Does anyone know if you can still park at the end of toad harbor road and walk out toward Frenchmans Island?We used to wail em there in early 90's
Grab me another Chelada Paiz..

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3983 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:17 AM »
Been there several times - I believe all fry are transported out to the lake.  I have some video footage from this past year.

https://plus.google.com/photos/102817719104191180746/albums/5864624790968399441

That is correct, they take the fry out into the lake to release them.

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3984 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:21 AM »
Yes....very rough riding though like filet and release mentioned.  Lots of snowdrifts that hardened right up
Thanks deadeyez

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3985 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:35 AM »

Well said... The guys that catch 20, 30, 40 and release,, are a joke... it does more harm than good....( this will get em goin)..
who gets that many walleyes? Wow

Offline Murph20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3986 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:38 AM »

It's been said on here more than once..

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #3987 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:39 AM »

Anyone can! Right day, right place, right presentation.

Offline iceman13166

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3988 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:41 AM »
I'd be happy with a burbot or 2 along with 20 or so jumbos and 1 walleye.  I don't think I'm asking for alot

Offline CNY Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3989 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:01 AM »
315 STICKBOW Any luck locating or recovering your 5 gallon pail and bait bucket?  If not I would put up another post if I was you.  Lot of great folks on here, maybe you will get lucky and you will have your items returned.  Hope your items are returned to you and best of luck to you on the ice the remainder of the season!!!
Retired U.S. Navy Senior Chief

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.