New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827176 times)

Offline gasparrj

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #3660 on: Jan 27, 2014, 03:49 PM »
new to the sport and would really really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction to catch some walleyes and what to use to catch them. I've done well with perch at chapman this year but want a change and I want to go for some eyes now. Any info and tips would be great, Thanks guys! *p.s.  I  have a machine to travel on the ice with.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #3661 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:11 PM »
I know when I would cut a hole I`d be in a hurry to get the rap down there. Found if I took the time to spud out the edge at the bottom of the hole (round it off a little) I dropped a lot less fish..  I was more of a Kastmaster guy.  Can`t remember losing one at the hole on them...

We think alike oldtimer, I bring my spud and spud my jigging hole larger just about every trip in last 3 yrs as its been pretty mild winters...... just spud my first hole til I get my 3, now the ice is just too thick to justify dragging it out, just more weight.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #3662 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:12 PM »
Does anyone know if you can take a atv out of Verona beach State Park. Or how about a sled?
good to go on both

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3663 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:30 PM »
The sweet smell of success afew minutes later and ses forgotten about the one she dumped. Priceless lmao
Nice Bryan and Colleen !!!!

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3664 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:51 PM »
Yeah Pman, I am the one of the two wheel, only one out there I think with one at the moment. Nice job with the fillets.

I'm out there on 2 wheels also. I use a Rokon. Won't win any races but it's light, pulls well and never been stuck. (Except for putting it through a crack at the end of last year.) It fits right in the back of my truck with the rest of my gear. No trailer needed!

Offline perryzf81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3665 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:01 PM »
Watching those videos of those ice fishing rods doubled over and seeing a walleye come up through the hole NEVER GETS OLD. Could watch them all the time, even when they get dumped.......great videos kowboy.
FISH  ON !!!

Offline nite eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That Sunsab Itch!
« Reply #3666 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:05 PM »
I know Rick has several different size buckeyes and was wondering what size you guys prefer to tip your Raps with when targeting eyes? Do you use the same size for perch? Maybe it doesn't matter at all but thought I'd ask...
TEAM ICEHOLES

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3667 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:14 PM »
I know Rick has several different size buckeyes and was wondering what size you guys prefer to tip your Raps with when targeting eyes? Do you use the same size for perch? Maybe it doesn't matter at all but thought I'd ask...

that's an easy one I tip most of my raps with his small buckeyes
heads and he has some what he calls perch goldens, that work very well if he has any left , but once in awhile I will grab some of his larger buckeyes and put them on much larger lures about half of one , depending how the bite has been going for me
good luck and tight lines

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3668 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:16 PM »

I personally don't use any on my raps when strictly going after eyes. When perch are onto raps just s head. Last week I couldn't get a perch to even sniff a large one but they came right up to hit a small one. I always get an order of large and an order of small. Have both bases covered that way.

Offline perryzf81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3669 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Is there a specific reason(s) why people prefer braided line? I understand that braid is much stronger, probably allows for a better hook set, and has a different feel/sensitivity than mono, and I also understand the 3 things I just listed are all  very important. I just did not know if there were other reasons. I attempted to use braid a few years back and I had a horrible experience (hated it) and never went back. Not asking for any secrets was just curious.......
FISH  ON !!!

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3670 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:30 PM »

Braid transmits the bite faster and better, thats important deeper and for lighter bites when there moody.. It soaks up water though, so mainly a inside the shanty line. Theres no stretch so fish can do a head shake or quick jerk and dump itself easier than mono, mono has stretch, but is horrible at transmitting bites say deeper than 30 ft, that's been my experience...  I'm stubborn and have been slowly changing too braid over the last few yrs, its all I use in openwater for jigging.

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3671 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Nice to see you doing your homework.... :thumbsup:  LOL, I'll be up from wednsday till sunday. Fishing for Dinks on Sandy Pond Saturday.
Hey what's the rule on POWER AUGERS on Sandy Pond ?  ;D
Jim K.

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3672 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:34 PM »
I like Braid but don't use it ice fishing because I find it harder to tie knots with my feeble fingers and eyes in the dark.  That's probably the only reason why I don't use it ice fishing.  Use it almost exclusively on my soft water spinning reels and on a fair number of my baitcasters. 

Hey pooch, lets see a pic of that ride.  I always wondered why people don't use 2 wheelers.  I've seen adds for the Rokon, seems like a good idea.

Offline nite eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That Sunsab Itch!
« Reply #3673 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:40 PM »
Nice to see you doing your homework.... :thumbsup:  LOL, I'll be up from wednsday till sunday. Fishing for Dinks on Sandy Pond Saturday.
Thanks Jim. 3 1/2 hours away and I only get up a few times during the ice, I need all the help I can get! I'll be up Thurs-Sat. And thanks for the info to all you guys... and yes I read all 190+
TEAM ICEHOLES

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3674 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:41 PM »

14 inches since noon, 6.2 inches in last 2 hours, you'll have some shoveling too do.

Offline buck 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3675 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:41 PM »
Is there a specific reason(s) why people prefer braided line? I understand that braid is much stronger, probably allows for a better hook set, and has a different feel/sensitivity than mono, and I also understand the 3 things I just listed are all  very important. I just did not know if there were other reasons. I attempted to use braid a few years back and I had a horrible experience (hated it) and never went back. Not asking for any secrets was just curious.......
  as good as you are zack you dont need to worrie about that. as  you only fish two spots any how.which is lewis point and edge water.your the man if it works for ya keep working it. that walleye juice is some good stuff.  Hun?
ml

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3676 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:41 PM »
You really notice the difference with braid when the fish pick the spoon off the bottom. With mono in deeper water you go to pull up and there's just a fish there. With braid you feel them pick it up. Lets you set the hook properly instead of just getting them on your jig stroke.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3677 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:42 PM »
I personally don't use any on my raps when strictly going after eyes. When perch are onto raps just s head. Last week I couldn't get a perch to even sniff a large one but they came right up to hit a small one. I always get an order of large and an order of small. Have both bases covered that way.

when the bite hot you can catch them on a frozen turd , but when they are moody for me it might be the difference from just 3 to maybe 15 what ever floats ones boat I'll spare the 4 bucks and not take the chance  , and I don't prefer to sit on eyes all day i move to find perch try running them bare all day and I only run the big bait for eyes , and guys we love pics , I never get tired of looking at them

Offline Murph20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3678 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:47 PM »
You really notice the difference with braid when the fish pick the spoon off the bottom. With mono in deeper water you go to pull up and there's just a fish there. With braid you feel them pick it up. Lets you set the hook properly instead of just getting them on your jig stroke.

Yup yup..

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3679 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:51 PM »
  14 inches since noon, 6.2 inches in last 2 hours, you'll have some shoveling too do.
That's why I pay Markie. LOL 
Jim K.

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3680 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:57 PM »
For perch I put a spike on each of the treble hooks. I have been getting a few eyes on them this year too. I can tell when the bite is slow the perch are caught on the treble going for the spike but when it is on they inhale the whole thing.
I tried braid and hated it. I change lures a lot and couldn't tie good knots with it.  I have settled on 3lb mono for most of my set ups with a 4lb for my jiggin raps.

Offline sportsmenoftheyear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3681 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:08 PM »
tie braid to a spro micro swivel and then tie a piece of mono to that 2-3 ft.  then u can tie knots like normal.  i use a snap for anything but panfish jigs so dont have to retie.  braid sux for light lures tho, great for raps and heavier stuff

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3682 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:11 PM »
For perch I put a spike on each of the treble hooks. I have been getting a few eyes on them this year too. I can tell when the bite is slow the perch are caught on the treble going for the spike but when it is on they inhale the whole thing.
I tried braid and hated it. I change lures a lot and couldn't tie good knots with it.  I have settled on 3lb mono for most of my set ups with a 4lb for my jiggin raps.

The number 2 rap with a spike on each treble has probably caught more fish for me than any other lure, and that's big numbers...  ;D

Offline bfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3683 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:19 PM »
Guys I have a question. Ive been fishing off capman but I would like an option on north shore. Is godfrey plowed for ice fisherman or seasonal? Just looking for park spot near aps. Im on foot, no sled or atv trailer. Thanks in advance for any info

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3684 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:21 PM »
  Good thing this is up here. Lake effect squall bombing out, 4 inches an hour now.

[/url]

http://www.cnycentral.com/weather/radar.aspx#.Uub3Rmco6Mo

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3685 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:31 PM »
Yeah Snag, she's a good one. I had to pick up my fiancé from SUNY Oswego today at 3. She was way to nervous to drive in it so I went and got her. Can't even tell you how many vehicles were off the road on my way there...
It'll eat.

Offline chubrock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3686 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:37 PM »
How is the fishing out of Chapman? Been fishing Williams but dinks village out there.
Bait it. Jig it. Hook it.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3687 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:39 PM »
Guys I have a question. Ive been fishing off capman but I would like an option on north shore. Is godfrey plowed for ice fisherman or seasonal? Just looking for park spot near aps. Im on foot, no sled or atv trailer. Thanks in advance for any info

last time I was there it was plowed , but thats not up to date ,but they have always kept it cleaned up

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3688 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:44 PM »
My buddy AugustWest talked me into braid late last summer. I have to agree with you guys about the sensitivity and no stretch. That's all I ran with my rod I used my sonars on. Very impressed...now my question to you guys is what brand and lb braid do you like to run on your ice rods? Also how long of a flouro leader do you like to run under it? 12", 24"? I would probably try a 12" 4 lb flouro leader to start. I am assuming a 12" flouro leader would have half of the amount of stretch as a 24" leader? Just would hate to tie too long a leader on and defeat the purpose of running the braid. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I am just trying to gather as much information as possible. I am no means trying to spark a braid vs mono controversy here!! I would like to rig up a rod or two before my next outing.
It'll eat.

Offline Pemad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3689 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:48 PM »

I have not been there this year but it was plowed in previous years.  The sign shop at the entrance keeps the place cleared.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.