New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827195 times)

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #3270 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:38 AM »
I think it would be Gomez Bait. Sorry to say i asked for buckeyes and got fatheads. That was my first and last time there. Go to Apps. or Bartels.

Bartel and Apps are way out of the way for me. Gomez and Marion Manor are the closest for the way I come to the lake.

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3271 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:45 AM »
  I told the guys that had plans too stay with me this weekend to wait, but I've had too make these hard decisions for 20 yrs on the Salmon River for guys, possible strong winds late tomorrow, possible heavy winds Saturday with snow, who knows what sunday will bring, one jog in the weather and I will look like a fool, its happened many times, but if its there only chance too get up here this winter, probably better days are coming. I'd be there now if my furnace didn't kick out last night, time too call a plumber. I got bars in my shanty, it has too be over 20mph before the noise bothers me.  If your hard core, you know you'll be out there, but a newbie might be humbled by the big Oneida weather.  Just for the record, 2-3 weekends in a row, they blew the wind forecast, much less than predicted.

Thanks Snagger.  I'm by no means hardcore, but I'm determined to find the fish.  I just really want to get out, but at this point, I'm kind of past the "it's just good to be out there" phase.  I want to actually catch something now.  You're right about the recent wind forecasts.  I kick myself for staying in during those days. 

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3272 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:48 AM »
didnt get out much the past three days,, and when i did the bite was slow but buying a new sled monday yamaha 4 stroke... and getting the old one fixed since it broke down tuesday.. should be making ice the last few days and the rest of the week

Offline Racer268

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3273 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:54 AM »
"Bartel and Apps are way out of the way for me. Gomez and Marion Manor are the closest for the way I come to the lake."

I was a steady Marion customer because it was closest for me as well.  I was introduced to App's a few weeks ago and I will attest it's worth the extra 15 min ride around the lake.  I've kept their Buckeyes alive for over a week with minimal dead loss.  They also have the right size Buckeyes.

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3274 on: Jan 23, 2014, 10:01 AM »
If the wind starts getting in the mid 20's to 30 and there's snow you have keep an eye on your stuff. I was locked in my shanty all day in a white out one time and I came out to a buried sled. I barely got it unstuck and the fishing for me usually stinks in the middle of big wind storm.  That said I haven't  fished in almost 2 weeks and I have chance to go Saturday so I'll probably be out there.  Bring a gps and extra batteries for it. 

Snagger what's your wind prediction for Sunday...better? 

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3275 on: Jan 23, 2014, 10:29 AM »
"Bartel and Apps are way out of the way for me. Gomez and Marion Manor are the closest for the way I come to the lake."

I was a steady Marion customer because it was closest for me as well.  I was introduced to App's a few weeks ago and I will attest it's worth the extra 15 min ride around the lake.  I've kept their Buckeyes alive for over a week with minimal dead loss.  They also have the right size Buckeyes.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3276 on: Jan 23, 2014, 10:30 AM »
X2 it is worth the ride. Im new to up there and learned that lesson pretty fast.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #3277 on: Jan 23, 2014, 10:48 AM »
If the wind starts getting in the mid 20's to 30 and there's snow you have keep an eye on your stuff. I was locked in my shanty all day in a white out one time and I came out to a buried sled. I barely got it unstuck and the fishing for me usually stinks in the middle of big wind storm.  That said I haven't  fished in almost 2 weeks and I have chance to go Saturday so I'll probably be out there.  Bring a gps and extra batteries for it. 

Snagger what's your wind prediction for Sunday...better?

heres a good rule of thumb Matt, say a storm rolls in Saturday, what ever winds precede it, usually follow it, so if its 10mph out of southwest Saturday, odds are 10 mph northwest sunday, add or minus accordingly, you get the drift.  Easy rule of thumb, but not always the case.

my buddy is killing them out there right now, perfect barometer...wish I could of went today.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #3278 on: Jan 23, 2014, 10:59 AM »
  heres a good rule of thumb Matt, say a storm rolls in Saturday, what ever winds precede it, usually follow it, so if its 10mph out of southwest Saturday, odds are 10 mph northwest sunday, add or minus accordingly, you get the drift.  Easy rule of thumb, but not always the case.

my buddy is killing them out there right now, perfect barometer...wish I could of went today.

Yep, I've been out 2 weekends so far and the wind speed forecasts were WAY off! Hope that happens again this week!

My friends are out there right now too, they are struggling to find fish! They landed on em yesterday, went back to them this morning and gone! Typical for this time of year, hard to stay on fish without moving around a lot, and spots dry up fast!
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #3279 on: Jan 23, 2014, 11:19 AM »

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #3280 on: Jan 23, 2014, 11:22 AM »

I got a similar report..... Trying to decide between Eyes and Crappies tonight, gotta love unexpected half days  ;D

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3281 on: Jan 23, 2014, 11:28 AM »
didnt get out much the past three days,, and when i did the bite was slow but buying a new sled monday yamaha 4 stroke... and getting the old one fixed since it broke down tuesday.. should be making ice the last few days and the rest of the week

I was out this morning before work and I was surprised at how little ice had been made with this cold weather. There was 2" of packed snow on the ice and some bare spots. I measured a little over 10" of ice.

The eyes were hungry today.  ;D

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • U.S. Navy Senior Chief Retired
« Reply #3282 on: Jan 23, 2014, 11:32 AM »
You guys are killing me...I have to work tonight...I am starting to get a soar throat...cough...cough ... ::) ::) ::)

“Never apologize mister, it’s a sign of weakness.”  John Wayne

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #3283 on: Jan 23, 2014, 12:03 PM »
You guys are killing me...I have to work tonight...I am starting to get a soar throat...cough...cough ... ::) ::) ::)
No hooky! :nono: :nono: :woot: :thumbsup: :icefish:
Wayne W.

Offline zidagose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3284 on: Jan 23, 2014, 12:09 PM »
I haven't been on Oneida ice in years, is there a place where you can catch a ride out and back to Shackelton Shoals for a few bucks?  I know there used to be people who gave rides in and out many years ago, one of the marinas I think.

If not - any good spots walkable from shore?  I don't have wheels or treads.

Any info is appreciated.

Sorry if repeat, 170 pages is a lot to go through.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3285 on: Jan 23, 2014, 12:14 PM »
Bartel and Apps are way out of the way for me. Gomez and Marion Manor are the closest for the way I come to the lake.

I hear ya.  In a perfect world I'd spend my money at Apps or Bartel.  It's a 30 minute ride to Apps from Marion Manor, I'd rather spend the hour (round trip) on the lake.

I have an older number for Gomez Bait and Tackle, 374-1701.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3286 on: Jan 23, 2014, 12:16 PM »
I haven't been on Oneida ice in years, is there a place where you can catch a ride out and back to Shackelton Shoals for a few bucks?  I know there used to be people who gave rides in and out many years ago, one of the marinas I think.

Any info is appreciated.

LOL!  You're begging for a beating...    ;D
Follow the bubbles...

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3287 on: Jan 23, 2014, 12:20 PM »
When i looked at the picture above i felt like the first time i looked at a vexilar and said where the heck are the fish on that screen. I've finally mastered my vexilar and now i keep hearing about these graph/sonar fish finders. I just bought a lowrance elite 7 this summer for my boat that has a graph and a flasher. I find myself using the flasher because i cant understand the graph. I'm sure once i spend hours staring at the lowrance like i have my vexilar i will understand it

More like seconds!  Every once in a while I'll switch my Lowrance over to the flasher mode for a good laugh.  Can't make heads or tails of it enough to trust what I'm looking at.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never Leave Fish to Find Fish
« Reply #3288 on: Jan 23, 2014, 12:24 PM »

Any info is appreciated.

You could try giving App's a call Rick used to run people out and back for some $$$$ but not sure if he is doing it still or not.
Gotta Love Those Stripes !!!!!

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #3289 on: Jan 23, 2014, 01:13 PM »

Rick told me 2 weeks ago, it's pretty much not happening this year. Just to much of a pain in the arse.  Unless he changed his mind recently, but he was pretty adamant.
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline zaphod4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing,my drug of choice
« Reply #3290 on: Jan 23, 2014, 01:19 PM »
Yes, these guys have been great about information!  I am also heading up tomorrow and plan to fish the afternoon, then Saturday and Sunday all day.  I think the biggest help was to download the navionics map. I think I pinpointed some good locations (in my own theory) to try by looking at that map...whether or not these spots hold fish is a different story and I will only find out when I drop a line down, lol.  But anyway, thanks again to everyone on this thread for the assistance the past few weeks, hopefully it all pays off this weekend!
I plugged in gps locations to a few of the gas holes on the nav app so make sure your map is updated

Offline Murph20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3291 on: Jan 23, 2014, 01:26 PM »
I plugged in gps locations to a few of the gas holes on the nav app so make sure your map is updated

How did you add those gas hole locations? I have a couple I would like to add..thanks

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3292 on: Jan 23, 2014, 01:29 PM »
How did you add those gas hole locations? I have a couple I would like to add..thanks

You have to register the app to your phone.  I automatically asks you when you do the 'edit map' function.  Pick your icon and write a description and then click add.  Careful with adding your hotspots unless you want to share it with the community, in which case...add away!  @)

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3293 on: Jan 23, 2014, 01:52 PM »
You have to register the app to your phone.  I automatically asks you when you do the 'edit map' function.  Pick your icon and write a description and then click add.  Careful with adding your hotspots unless you want to share it with the community, in which case...add away!  @)

Some needs to do a youtube on working this thing .... I have all the updates and packages and I can not figure out all the bells and whistles ....
  ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline Murph20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3294 on: Jan 23, 2014, 02:03 PM »
[/quote

Ok thanks

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3295 on: Jan 23, 2014, 02:23 PM »
If anyone needs help adding their hotspots to the Nav app, you can send them over to me and I can plug it in for you.   ;)  Just give me the coordinates, a description of what you can catch at that location, time of day that works best, time in the season that works best.   ;D.  I kid I kid.

Offline Murph20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3296 on: Jan 23, 2014, 02:44 PM »
If anyone needs help adding their hotspots to the Nav app, you can send them over to me and I can plug it in for you.   ;)  Just give me the coordinates, a description of what you can catch at that location, time of day that works best, time in the season that works best.   ;D.  I kid I kid.

i see how it can be done now, but how do you get that red mark(  *  ) to work as your marker? its 's not a choice on the list..

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3297 on: Jan 23, 2014, 02:56 PM »
Some needs to do a youtube on working this thing .... I have all the updates and packages and I can not figure out all the bells and whistles ....
I bought the add ons and can't figure out how to use everything
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline nitro18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3298 on: Jan 23, 2014, 03:47 PM »
Can someone tell me the coordinates for Apps I will be coming from Williams Park on the south shore

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3299 on: Jan 23, 2014, 04:02 PM »
43* 13.860N. 75* 52.889W

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.