New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827180 times)

Offline 600RevX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #3150 on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:26 PM »
16 mph winds and a high of 4. No shanty. You're on the right thread allright. Diehard with some crazy mixed in lol. Good luck to you out there. Hopefully you find the fish early  :tipup: :tipup:
Yup, I was thinking the same! tomorrow has snot-sickles written all over it  :o
Why work when you can fish?<br />

Offline iceman13166

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3151 on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:51 PM »
RTXGUY I just met your buddy that had his kid on the 4wheeler tonight at bass pro.  Glad no one got hurt.  Maybe I'll run into you guys out there sometime.  It's nice working at bass pro and meeting ice shanty guys.  Come say hi guys.  I'm Nate in fishing.  Introduce yourself.  I'll be there Thursday night and all day sat.  Hope to be fishing Sunday out of chapman.  If I can get the sled or 4wheeler running

Offline greenhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3152 on: Jan 21, 2014, 10:31 PM »
Looking for some info on electronics was going to invest in a flasher but have seen people posting how happy they are with there lowrance series 5 my question is I have a elite 5 DSI for my boat can I use that on the ice to instead of buying a whole new unit
Absolutely, the only thing you want to do is buy the portable ice pack for it. It comes with everything but the head unit, case, battery, charger, and the ice ducer which should fit the unit. Its not cheap I paid $150 for it on eBay cause I didn't want to spend another $400 because on my small boat I use the elite 4 and have all my GPS coordinates on it so I swap them back and forth no issues.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Hate  to say it , but they  do not make ice-ducers  for lowrance  DSI units.Just  got  one for Christmas.reason being the down scan is useless for  ice fishing, you need to be movingto get good results from this unit.I  just  mounted  mine on the sled   for  gps , there  is  only  1 cord for transducer  and  power so they suggested if i was going to be using it  for gps i should go to options and shut sonar off.Should   be able to find a ice ducer for the elite 4  i believe

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3153 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:21 AM »
does anyone know if you can park at or near borios restaurant and fish
You can park just down the road at Williams Park....

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3154 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:03 AM »
I had to search around on wunderground for the barograph Chief. I think I found it under history.
Probably scared off a hundred guys with the gashole topic. I just put all of Snaggers numbers in the GPS. Thanks.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3155 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:41 AM »
I had to search around on wunderground for the barograph Chief. I think I found it under history.
Probably scared off a hundred guys with the gashole topic. I just put all of Snaggers numbers in the GPS. Thanks.

Like you said, it is under history. It will still show you today's info.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/

It is -20 here.  ;D

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3156 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:52 AM »
6:55 am.  -15 in Cicero

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #3157 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:55 AM »
My damn car won't start. -11 here in morrisville. Maybe it's a sign I shouldnt be on the ice.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3158 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:59 AM »
I have a question about using a wheeler on this lake, I used mine a few times last year without any issues but a buddy when in back home on a large lake edging too close to shore line crossing a pressure crack. That put manners on me and I did a lot of reading about pressure cracks and gas holes which bring me to my question. Do most guys on Oneida use a machine or wheeler or just use old fashion leg power until the ice gets around 10 inches or so on this lake? This can be a scary place to fish with all that can happen on a lake the size of Oneida or am I being a bit gun shy. Thanks for any replies

yea I walk until the ice gets about 8" then if no snow I run my wheeler , but when there is a little snow i get the sled out much safer in my book , for crossing pressure cracks, with a wheeler you should check with a spud , always pay attention to detail  cracks can be tricky
pooch nice fish bud

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3159 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:00 AM »
My damn car won't start. -11 here in morrisville. Maybe it's a sign I shouldnt be on the ice.

maybe an omen

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3160 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:04 AM »
yea I walk until the ice gets about 8" then if no snow I run my wheeler , but when there is a little snow i get the sled out much safer in my book , for crossing pressure cracks, with a wheeler you should check with a spud , always pay attention to detail  cracks can be tricky
pooch nice fish bud

I feel much safer on the sled too. It will cruise across iffy stuff a lot easier than the wheeler. Way easier to cross a crack on a sled.

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3161 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:09 AM »
does anyone know if you can park at or near borios restaurant and fish
I have parked there during the week. The walk behind the islands is a lot shorter than Williams. I do eat lunch there when I am done.  I would not try it on the weekend. 

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3162 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:13 AM »
Does anybody have a good website for barometric pressure? I used to look at the wunderground baro graph but they seemed to change it on me. I'd like to see an hourly breakdown...
http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KSYR.html 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3163 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:14 AM »
http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KSYR.html 

hey you get back to work and keep those old ladies walks salted  ;)

Offline Cusefan78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3164 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:07 AM »
Fished Oneida yesterday. Wanted to thank the guys at aps for the tips.
2011 King of the pond champion. Don't hate me cause I'm great!

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3165 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:15 AM »
Sleds will go over thin ice especially if you are moving along .. Walkers tend to walk the sled trails..use your spud .. you could walk into a hole.  Only gas hole in the Sylvan Beach area that I remember is the one NW of the end of the pier.  That is a good sized one..  Several gas bubble lines in a 10 ft area...

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #3166 on: Jan 22, 2014, 08:54 AM »
hey you get back to work and keep those old ladies walks salted  ;)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Wayne W.

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3167 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:08 AM »
Had a little spare time, decided to build some tip-downs, don't know if I'll ever use them or not, but I was bored.
Next is the smitty sled, the drag off last Saturday pert near killed me.

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #3168 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:18 AM »
Sleds will go over thin ice especially if you are moving along .. Walkers tend to walk the sled trails..use your spud .. you could walk into a hole.  Only gas hole in the Sylvan Beach area that I remember is the one NW of the end of the pier.  That is a good sized one..  Several gas bubble lines in a 10 ft area...

I believe theres 3 gas holes to the north of the pier.

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3169 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:25 AM »
Nice!
It'll eat.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3170 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:39 AM »
Great reports guys!  Just caught up on 16 pages.  I fished Sunday.  Started off in 25 fow and had a tough time so made a move out to 30 fow to one of my gps spots.  Immediately got into the jumbos and eyes.  Finished the day with a dozen jumbos and 16 keeper eyes.  Monday I took little Deadeyez out with me along with 3 of my buddys.  I fished the same holes as Sunday and we were on the perch and eyes again in 30 fow.  The DEC pulled up on there sleds about 45 minutes after we started fishing.  We had around 7 eyes and a dozen perch on the ice already when they stopped to check us.  They were def on the hunt for over the limit eyes!  One of them tore through our shantys while the other guy BS'd with us.  They didnt check our licenses, sled registrations, or bait receipts.  They wanted to know how we found the spot we were fishing so I informed them its a spot ive been fishing for 20+ years.  They said they have got quite a few guys with over the limit and informed us of a couple gas holes kinda nearby us.  Good to see them out making sure that everyone is behaving.  The best part was when one of the wardens GPS'd the spot I was fishing!  ::)  Anyway I ended up icing 27 eyes and a half a dozen perch with lots more missed or dumped half way up.  Seems like the perch are hot there one day and the eyes are there the next.  Little Deadeyez caught 2 keepers and a few perch.  He also dumped a slob eye that was around 23 or 24 at the hole when the front hook on his rap got caught on the ice!  My other 3 buddys accounted for another 32 keepers with some jumbos mixed in.  All in all it was a nice 2 days out there.  Hoping to be out this weekend if not sooner.  Not sure though....The rear end went on my truck last night on 481 on my way home from work.  Thats gonna be a pricey fix  :%$#!:
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3171 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:45 AM »
Great reports guys!  Just caught up on 16 pages.  I fished Sunday.  Started off in 25 fow and had a tough time so made a move out to 30 fow to one of my gps spots.  Immediately got into the jumbos and eyes.  Finished the day with a dozen jumbos and 16 keeper eyes.  Monday I took little Deadeyez out with me along with 3 of my buddys.  I fished the same holes as Sunday and we were on the perch and eyes again in 30 fow.  The DEC pulled up on there sleds about 45 minutes after we started fishing.  We had around 7 eyes and a dozen perch on the ice already when they stopped to check us.  They were def on the hunt for over the limit eyes!  One of them tore through our shantys while the other guy BS'd with us.  They didnt check our licenses, sled registrations, or bait receipts.  They wanted to know how we found the spot we were fishing so I informed them its a spot ive been fishing for 20+ years.  They said they have got quite a few guys with over the limit and informed us of a couple gas holes kinda nearby us.  Good to see them out making sure that everyone is behaving.  The best part was when one of the wardens GPS'd the spot I was fishing!  ::)  Anyway I ended up icing 27 eyes and a half a dozen perch with lots more missed or dumped half way up.  Seems like the perch are hot there one day and the eyes are there the next.  Little Deadeyez caught 2 keepers and a few perch.  He also dumped a slob eye that was around 23 or 24 at the hole when the front hook on his rap got caught on the ice!  My other 3 buddys accounted for another 32 keepers with some jumbos mixed in.  All in all it was a nice 2 days out there.  Hoping to be out this weekend if not sooner.  Not sure though....The rear end went on my truck last night on 481 on my way home from work.  Thats gonna be a pricey fix  :%$#!:

Sounds like a great 2 days DeadEyez.  I'm waiting for this cold spell to pass through so I can get back out there.  Oh yea, there's this work thing too.

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3172 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:00 AM »
That's Bulls..t that they marked your spot  >:(
Good that they are out there checking limits though, not that they need worry about this dreamer though, lol.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #3173 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:01 AM »
wow you had a couple of real good days out there Bobby. way to go man :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: ;)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3174 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:09 AM »
Cold, I have good gear but I'm staying home till Friday, it's not worth the chance.  I'll stay home and play with my 7 month old grandson, he has changed my priorities!! :clap: :clap:

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3175 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:25 AM »
That's Bulls..t that they marked your spot  >:(
Good that they are out there checking limits though, not that they need worry about this dreamer though, lol.

Maybe they figured you would be on the spot the next time they are out and sill skip over you ??? There will be lots out there this weekend..

Offline WaynefromMaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout and about
« Reply #3176 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:39 AM »
   HT,  With all the venison, fish and veggies you put up for the winter.  Your gashole must be a bit dangerous rite now. :)
Enjoy the pleasure of others pleasure

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #3177 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:41 AM »
   HT,  With all the venison, fish and veggies you put up for the winter.  Your gashole must be a bit dangerous rite now. :)
well I aint starving  ;D going to have fresh perch tonight ;)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #3178 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:47 AM »
Weapon of Mass Destruction! :woot: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :icefish:
Wayne W.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #3179 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:53 AM »

Best report I've heard in a while, Nice work deadezes crew"!!!!!

26.5 below at my house this morning, my buddy 3 miles away had 29 below zero....  I'd love too fish tomorrow, but kind of afraid too leave my property unattended in these temps, could come home too a pipe bursting disaster.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.