New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827175 times)

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #3120 on: Jan 21, 2014, 04:18 PM »
How was it on the ice today? still snowy? I'll be heading out tmmrw for an all dayer. Gonna be a cold oneeee

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3121 on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:14 PM »
Gas holes are just that......Natural Gas springs.    If you ever feel the need to get real close to one for a look see, DON'T play with fire!
I hate to disagree with such a fine Italian chef but on this topic, but I have to  ;)
  We're seeing more and more gas holes every year on Oneida but they're not due to natural gas springs at all.    Blame the Zebra mussel  ;)
  Since they've invaded the lake (and I'm not against that at all) they've filtered the water to a point where sunlight penetration gets to deeper waters where it was impossible to do so 15 years ago.  With that sunlight penetration, weeds are now growing in places that were barren of them for decades !    There are more dying and decaying weeds that let off gases in places where they never were before and with that, there are gas holes where they never happened before.
  Over the years, I've rarely seen or heard of gas holes being in the same locations.   Close by, yes but exact spots, no.   
  Every year, weeds grow thicker in different locations based on sunlight, prevailing winds, colonies of zebra mussels, bottom make up etc.  That's why the gas holes are showing up in different spots in recent years.   Clearer water, more weeds in areas that didn't have them in years past = more gas holes.   The bigger the concentration of weeds, the bigger the gas holes (or potential for them).
  Polar Beach will be brutal this winter.    Can't find a spot without thick vegetation.   There are always numerous gas holes out there but this year, it'll be like walking a big slice of Swiss cheese !

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3122 on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:20 PM »
I don't know about all gas holes but the one I have marked on my GPS is in the exact spot every year for about 5 years straight now and is in the exact same configuration - 2 bubble streams with one slightly larger than the other.  The other ones I know about I do not have marked on GPS but they sure seem to be in the same spot.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3123 on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:40 PM »
I hate to disagree with such a fine Italian chef but on this topic, I have to  ;)
  We're seeing more and more gas holes every year on Oneida but they're not due to natural gas springs at all.    Blame the Zebra mussel  ;)
  Since they've invaded the lake (and I'm not against that at all) they've filtered the water to a point where sunlight penetration gets to deeper waters where it was impossible to do so 15 years ago.  With that sunlight penetration, weeds are now growing in places that were barren of them for decades !    There are more dying and decaying weeds that let off gases in places where they never were before and with that, there are gas holes where they never happened before.
  Over the years, I've rarely seen or heard of gas holes being in the same locations.   Close by, yes but exact spots, no.   
  Every year, weeds grow thicker in different locations based on sunlight, prevailing winds, colonies of zebra mussels, bottom make up etc.  That's why the gas holes are showing up in different spots in recent years.   Clearer water, more weeds in areas that didn't have them in years past = more gas holes.   The bigger the concentration of weeds, the bigger the gas holes (or potential for them).
  Polar Beach will be brutal this winter.    Can't find a spot without thick vegetation.   There are always numerous gas holes out there but this year, it'll be like walking a big slice of Swiss cheese !

WOW - I don't know what to say to the weed thing - I come from a lake that is known for W-E-E-D-S!  I was in a bay the other day, that when I drilled a hole (through 18" of black ice) the smell of rotting weeds would about drive you away!  Don't know how that scenario fits with your gas hole theory, but Black Lake has NO gas holes.  Not one.  I never saw or heard of a gas hole till I started fishing more south - Oneida and the fingerlakes region.  I think I tend to go with ICE-ADDICT on this one.

Offline FGIARRUSSO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3124 on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:54 PM »
If you take a look at the article that was posted in a hyperlink about gas holes a few pages back,  you will find both conditions (rotting vegetation or naturel gas) can produce a gas hole.   Be safe use a spud all year.
Keep Fishin!

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #3125 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:06 PM »
Had a better day than yesterday  ;D Whats that movie "The day after tomorrow" you know the one with the winter storm that consumes the US.......when you step outside you instantly freeze!!!! Yep that's what today was like on the lake, no joke. So I had my limit at 830am, that is of course limit of shorts. I ended up fishing 34 fow off Jewell and got my 3 big eyes with an extra 7 shorts, 3 dink perch, 1 jumbo. Action all day long. The big eyes were suspended at 25 fow. Fish were caught on different lures, had to work it they did not come easy. Pics:

[IM
\G]http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh602/pooch2543/002_zps2c631ca2.jpg[/IMG]

back at it in the am  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #3126 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:13 PM »
 I don't understand gas holes, so I'm not gonna speculate on the matter, but I marked a gas hole 11 yrs ago at sylvan beach with my old yellow handheld gps, give or take 10 ft, its still there today.

Nice work pooch!!!!!!!   :thumbsup:
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3127 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:14 PM »
I hate to disagree with such a fine Italian chef but on this topic, but I have to  ;)

The large gasholes that I have seen are always in the same spot every year for the past 30+ years. The small ones just don't show up every year because they might not eat their way through the ice.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #3128 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:16 PM »

Missing Pic

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #3129 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:18 PM »
My gas hole comes and goes, I mostly hope it doesn't show up when Im on the lake  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o :o :o :o ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :P :P :

Offline buck 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3130 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:21 PM »
  good catch pooch hope to be there this weekend
ml

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #3131 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:33 PM »
nice job pooch. Flash frozen walleyes right there. oh ya ..........watch out for gas holes. that is the hot topic of the day on here ::) ::) :whistle: :whistle: ;D
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #3132 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:36 PM »
Thanks guys, yeah flash freeze is the word. My holes skimmed right over within seconds every time I stepped outside.

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #3133 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:38 PM »
My gas hole comes and goes, I mostly hope it doesn't show up when Im on the lake  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o :o :o :o ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :P :P :
LMAO  Post of the year so far  ;) :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3134 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:42 PM »
nice job pooch. Flash frozen walleyes right there. oh ya ..........watch out for gas holes. that is the hot topic of the day on here ::) ::) :whistle: :whistle: ;D
Stay away from gas holes! They do appear in same spots. Only knuckleheads venture close

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3135 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:55 PM »
well i am sorry but i have to disagree on this one. i don't believe that the gas holes that open up out there on Oneida or any other lake every year are from rotting vegetation only. i believe these spots are caused by natural gas mostly. vegetation comes and goes by sun light and other factors as you stated your self. for these nasty spots to show up for who knows how many years in the same exact spot is not caused by rotting vegetation only. i have fished all over nys thru the ice and have found my share of these things. if you want to see gas hole heaven go try lake neawanta in fulton when there is no snow. i bet you wont walk out............just saying...

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3136 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:58 PM »

:woot:

Nice job on the eyes.

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #3137 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:01 PM »
well i am sorry but i have to disagree on this one. i don't believe that the gas holes that open up out there on Oneida or any other lake every year are from rotting vegetation only. i believe these spots are caused by natural gas mostly. vegetation comes and goes by sun light and other factors as you stated your self. for these nasty spots to show up for who knows how many years in the same exact spot is not caused by rotting vegetation only. i have fished all over nys thru the ice and have found my share of these things. if you want to see gas hole heaven go try lake neawata in fulton when there is no snow. i bet you wont walk out............just saying...
How bout the one out from Elms every year same spot on the left.... And the one in Fulton is from the sewage discharge... :sick: :sick: :sick: Direct from Chief's Throne  ;D

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3138 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:06 PM »
How bout the one out from Elms every year same spot on the left.... And the one in Fulton is from the sewage discharge... :sick: :sick: :sick: Direct from Chief's Throne  ;D
there are a dozen out of green point that i know of too and that place is packed with weeks all summer long :whistle: ::) ;D

Offline LOA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3139 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Legalizing fracking would help cut down on the gas holes! Get some of that natural gas out of the ground...

j/k

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3140 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:41 PM »
Them you could stay warm, cut 2 holes, fish in one and light the other..  Then someone could make fireproof line and the hole would never freeze..  A new meaning to "fire in the hole"...

Offline eaglejac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • age 50+ avid fisherman freshwater and salt
« Reply #3141 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:52 PM »
I have a question about using a wheeler on this lake, I used mine a few times last year without any issues but a buddy when in back home on a large lake edging too close to shore line crossing a pressure crack. That put manners on me and I did a lot of reading about pressure cracks and gas holes which bring me to my question. Do most guys on Oneida use a machine or wheeler or just use old fashion leg power until the ice gets around 10 inches or so on this lake? This can be a scary place to fish with all that can happen on a lake the size of Oneida or am I being a bit gun shy. Thanks for any replies

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3142 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:55 PM »
Nice meeting you out there pooch. Good to see you picked up a couple more keepers after I left. I did not want to leave but I had to get out to school. I was just starting to mark some good fish as I had to leave...oh well. I'll be back on the North shore on Thursday fishing all day long! 
It'll eat.

Offline panfishing pirate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3143 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:59 PM »
does anyone know if you can park at or near borios restaurant and fish
nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3144 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:05 PM »
Chowdaire no that wasn't me , I did pickup 3 guys and the gear on the way in to the parking lot. NF sorry you were not here but atleast you were fishing hope to see you soon either on the hard water or river. Brian congrats to you and your dad, I sent you a text message but for some reason I seem to remember you don't have service or something like that. Huntny30 nice set of Crappies there, I have aspot for some too but they are still small so will wait till next year to get on them. Stormy colleen wants to know where have you been, wants to know if the run down the river afew yrs ago with here first salmon you helped her get scared you, lol Shane I too want to thank you for everything, it was fun on Saturday to try to make it to that spo we had gone tot, and to not be able to so I found my own just looking at the map, then went back on sunday and did well again, so it is nice to find your own spot to fish once and awhile but sure couldn't do it without my friends.
yea bryan i dont get service at the lodge but usually i get it when i go to town but never got ure message...friday i had to do the couple mile drive down the road to download the navionics in my phone before the trip...shane thanks again for hosting another awesome weekend...it was nice to fish with everyone and thankyou soulstream and jim for the lift on the lake...only took us an hour to fillet those fish today and boy where they tasty...cant believe i threw perch back down the hole for years.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #3145 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:24 PM »
Thanks guys, yeah flash freeze is the word. My holes skimmed right over within seconds every time I stepped outside.

It's gonna be fun without a shanty tmmrw :p

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3146 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:27 PM »
Does anybody have a good website for barometric pressure? I used to look at the wunderground baro graph but they seemed to change it on me. I'd like to see an hourly breakdown...
It'll eat.

Offline H2O-32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3147 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:39 PM »
Hmmmm....Wonder what would happen if someone attempted to light the vapors from a gashole?

That sure was a monster eye, congrats!

Offline CrappieAttitude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • golly thats good
« Reply #3148 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:45 PM »
It's gonna be fun without a shanty tmmrw :p

16 mph winds and a high of 4. No shanty. You're on the right thread allright. Diehard with some crazy mixed in lol. Good luck to you out there. Hopefully you find the fish early  :tipup: :tipup:
Take it for what it's worth

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #3149 on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:15 PM »
16 mph winds and a high of 4. No shanty. You're on the right thread allright. Diehard with some crazy mixed in lol. Good luck to you out there. Hopefully you find the fish early  :tipup: :tipup:

Nah just young and dumb and full of piss and vinegar. That and it's my only day off this week  :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.