New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827174 times)

Offline LOA

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #3030 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:09 PM »
Anyone willing to give me a basic explanation on what to look for to properly set your gain on a Vexilar FL8?

please.. Any general rules of thumb or anything?

Any tips on how to tell what type of bottom you are fishing. I have read the manual, but i am looking for user tips..

Any help is appreciated.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #3031 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:09 PM »
Thought I would share this recipe. Just cooked it for my inlaws and they said it was the best fish  they ever had. Despite my mother in law getting the warty walleye. 1 cup flower 1/4 cup baking powder 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup milk 1/2 cup water. Stir it all up, dip the fish, put in oil. My 4 year old had her plate clean by the time I sat down. She thought it was chicken nuggets, but gone in two minutes none the less.

Haha chicken nuggets. Classic  ;D

Offline greenhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3032 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:12 PM »
If you guys are searching for eyes without electronics, how long will you work a hole before moving on to the next one?
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       I   can't   even imagine  fishing  without  electronics  for  walleye  on  Oneida. I  use to ,   if  i  forgot  mine i would be going home  to get it.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #3033 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:17 PM »
It's not so bad really. Just gotta focus on structure.

Offline greenhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3034 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:25 PM »
It's not so bad really. Just gotta focus on structure.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           I  know  but  i  like  to see the reaction to the  presentation and  how  far they will chase it.   Should  i be  bangin the bottom  or  fishing it  higher.

Offline jiggincrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3035 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:25 PM »
Anyone willing to give me a basic explanation on what to look for to properly set your gain on a Vexilar FL8?

Any tips on how to tell what type of bottom you are fishing. I have read the manual, but i am looking for user tips..

Any help is appreciated.

Check out the videos and articles on the vexilar website, they will get you started. If you bought your unit new you should have received a instructional video. If not, find someone who bought a new vex and see if you could use their video. When adjusting my gain, I just try to get it so that my lure is showing green near bottom.

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3036 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:26 PM »
Before I had electronics I would be ecstatic over 15 perch. I could do without it on other bodies of water but not Oneida.  Most days te bite is so light your chances with out knowing what the fish are doing is pretty slim.

Offline soulstream

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When the flag pops, the b#$%t stops!!!
« Reply #3037 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:27 PM »
Had a great day on Saturday with Snagger, Big Jim, Brian, and his father. The fishing was pretty slow, but I still managed 2 keeper walleye, lost 2 keepers at the hole, 6 other small walleye, and 15 nice perch. All jigging with a lot of the techniques discussed on this forum. I did my homework before I came up, and was fortunate to get out with a couple of real die hards. Thanks again fellas for a really fun day!

Offline 600RevX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3038 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Went off the North shore this morning with my son, his friend and Racer. Three shanty's 20 feet apart from each other. Racer cleaned house getting his limit by 8:34am an extra keeper one perch and 2 bourbut .My Son got skunked and I only caught one jumbo perch, his friend got two keepers and three perch.... dumped his third at the hole. Marked a ton of fish, could not get them to commit. The fish that were caught were all caught on different lures. We tried everything. Very aggravating ??? Try again in the am.
Met you in the parking lot this am-Love that Bike!! Don't feel bad, 3 of us only managed 7 perch by Noon! Talk about finicky, I ended up moving 6 times I think then finally made the big jump to mid lake spot about 1pm, no one around for 1/2 a mile  ;D- Drilled a hole and bingo, landed right on the eyes- dumped at least 6-8, managed my 3 keepers and was ready for home! 3 eyes and 3 jumbos, better than a day at the office I suppose!!
Why work when you can fish?<br />

Offline Hookinup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release ... into the grease!
« Reply #3039 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:33 PM »
A lengthy low pressure period can really make them moody. If you had a tough bite today...don't be too hard on yourself. Today's barometric pressure graph may help explain things. Started to recover, but probably not in time for the night bite. Perch and walleyes are some of the slowest fish to snap out of a mood swing.

Always remember .... they have a brain the size of a pea! How hard can it be? ???

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #3040 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:33 PM »
  Don't sound like apps buckeyes, and today was warm, wait til it gets cold out....

No they weren't Apps, Marion Manor(MM). It was warm today, never set up the shanty. Luckily blood work and Dr. appt. will make me miss the next couple of days of brutal weather and let me rest my knee. Things are looking up! ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline perchchaser711

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3041 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:36 PM »
can anyone tell me if the lowrance elite 4x has a flasher along with the chart.

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #3042 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:37 PM »

Any help is appreciated.
It is one of the simplest units on the market, a few dial adjustments will get you in tune. Gain... Start at 0 and turn it up slowly till you see your jig  at all times. Set the depth mode at the closest to what you are fishing, for instance if you are fishing in 20 feet or less set it to S20. 21 feet set it to 30 so you can see the bottom. As far as how to tell what the bottom is, hard or soft, the closer to the bottom of the graph you see solid red, the harder the bottom. You will receive a ton of interference with this model so if you are close to someone with another sonar of any make hit the rejection button, but be prepared to deal with a lot of flashing.... The target separation sucks compared to other units in the same price range, or less in many cases, but it is instant feed back, meaning you will see your jig move as well as the fish while it happens, and this is the best part of it. when you see a mark approach your jig and its a hot fish it will show up as a red mark with green flashing, that is the fins and it will most likely hit if you give it what it wants. Tease it up and make it chase till it drops back down, then drop it past it and snap jig it over it to anger it into biting. The deeper you go the harder it will be to read it without a zoom, but if the bottom flashes at all it is usually a fish. Good luck ;)

Offline greenhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3043 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:38 PM »

Any help is appreciated.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Use  the  least  amount  of gain  and  be  able to see your lure.Red  is a hard  bottom, green  would  be  mud  or  weeds.

Offline braz315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3044 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:39 PM »
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       I   can't   even imagine  fishing  without  electronics  for  walleye  on  Oneida. I  use to ,   if  i  forgot  mine i would be going home  to get it.

Those things are crazy expensive I don't know how you guys afford it - maybe someday!  Oneida has so many fish I figure sooner or later I can get a couple eyes out of there!  Hopefully this weekend.

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3045 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:40 PM »
Chowdaire no that wasn't me , I did pickup 3 guys and the gear on the way in to the parking lot. NF sorry you were not here but atleast you were fishing hope to see you soon either on the hard water or river. Brian congrats to you and your dad, I sent you a text message but for some reason I seem to remember you don't have service or something like that. Huntny30 nice set of Crappies there, I have aspot for some too but they are still small so will wait till next year to get on them. Stormy colleen wants to know where have you been, wants to know if the run down the river afew yrs ago with here first salmon you helped her get scared you, lol Shane I too want to thank you for everything, it was fun on Saturday to try to make it to that spo we had gone tot, and to not be able to so I found my own just looking at the map, then went back on sunday and did well again, so it is nice to find your own spot to fish once and awhile but sure couldn't do it without my friends.

You tell Miss Colleen I have been watching .... We will get together soon. next 2 weeks are not going to be party weeks .... Buuurrrrrrr ..... Tell her she should post her pic on the Hardwater Chix facebook page ....

https://www.facebook.com/HardwaterChix
  ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #3046 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:40 PM »
can anyone tell me if the lowrance elite 4x has a flasher along with the chart.
It does, only on split screen mode.

Offline greenhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3047 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:41 PM »
Drownding Dots  nailed it  god  explanation.

Offline greenhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3048 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:47 PM »
Those things are crazy expensive I don't know how you guys afford it - maybe someday!  Oneida has so many fish I figure sooner or later I can get a couple eyes out of there!  Hopefully this weekend.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              This  is  what you tell the wife. IN  the long run  it will  save  me  gas, time  ,money  spent  on wasted bait and i will be bringing home more fish to feed  the family. You  are  actually   saving  money  and  you will have  more time to spend with her .HEY it sounds god.

Offline perchchaser711

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3049 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:48 PM »
thanks dd I think that will be my next unit. somebody stole all my fishing gear from my suv.so I have to buy new and I think lowrance is the way to go

Offline LOA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3050 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:59 PM »
It is one of the simplest units on the market, a few dial adjustments will get you in tune. Gain... Start at 0 and turn it up slowly till you see your jig  at all times. Set the depth mode at the closest to what you are fishing, for instance if you are fishing in 20 feet or less set it to S20. 21 feet set it to 30 so you can see the bottom. As far as how to tell what the bottom is, hard or soft, the closer to the bottom of the graph you see solid red, the harder the bottom. You will receive a ton of interference with this model so if you are close to someone with another sonar of any make hit the rejection button, but be prepared to deal with a lot of flashing.... The target separation sucks compared to other units in the same price range, or less in many cases, but it is instant feed back, meaning you will see your jig move as well as the fish while it happens, and this is the best part of it. when you see a mark approach your jig and its a hot fish it will show up as a red mark with green flashing, that is the fins and it will most likely hit if you give it what it wants. Tease it up and make it chase till it drops back down, then drop it past it and snap jig it over it to anger it into biting. The deeper you go the harder it will be to read it without a zoom, but if the bottom flashes at all it is usually a fish. Good luck ;)

Thanks a lot. That was very helpful.

I bought an FL8-slt used, didnt get a manual or anything. I have had some success using it, i just needed a verification to some things i wasn't sure if i understood properly.

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3051 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:37 PM »
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              This  is  what you tell the wife. IN  the long run  it will  save  me  gas, time  ,money  spent  on wasted bait and i will be bringing home more fish to feed  the family. You  are  actually   saving  money  and  you will have  more time to spend with her .HEY it sounds god.

Hey Greenhead, is that what you told your wife???  Must not apply to soft water or you would've had the GPS unit 3 years ago ;D

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
« Reply #3052 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:42 PM »
Thanks Oneida.  My son turned 12 on Sunday and this was a nice gift for him.
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #3053 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:43 PM »
Guys are getting big pickeral wowzah

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3054 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:44 PM »
Great pic.  The smile says it all
Jim K.

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #3055 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:45 PM »
yes that's my perfect day a limit of 16-18" eyes and 12 big arz perch , now I'm digging this mid bite when you have to start working for them , the easy bite is about over , now it boils down to consistency, my favorite time , ya really have to think about your moves, depths , lure patterns , and presentation , god I love a tough bite , it can humble you or make you feel you really did think like a fish  ;)

I'm with you bud, love a challenge! Makes victory that much sweeter!
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3056 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:56 PM »
  The whole lake is public, wasn't being arrogant saying its "My" spot at all, fish wherever you like....but theres a bunch of us that fish together, its like a on going contest between us too "Be" the "One" who finds the bite or spot, I hate it when my buds find a better group of fish then me, I'm so stubbern I won't fish there spots even if there blistering them, I'll just keep poking til I out do them by finding another group of fish even easier too catch..  ;D

I didn't take it as arrogant all Snagger..no worries.  I wasn't directing it to anyone in particular.  I just wasn't sure what the general consensus was regarding certain popular spots.  I've just seen some posts about others fishing in the same spot or holes of other fishermen the day after...and I'm just thinking to myself..well why the hell not?Just cause they're there one day doesn't mean they're there again.

Because I'm new to the lake..I use the old holes to get an idea of where people are fishing and why.  I look at the maps and see there's a hole or mound or drop.  And most of all I'm too damn lazy to drill my own.  As much as I'd like to ask for help...I also understand that I need to put in the time and earn it.  I'll be honest and admit that it's harder than I thought, but I'm learning a lot in the process.  The main thing being that I seriously need a wheeler or snow mobile.  Geez...I'm tired of this snow!

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3057 on: Jan 20, 2014, 09:05 PM »
thanks dd I think that will be my next unit. somebody stole all my fishing gear from my suv.so I have to buy new and I think lowrance is the way to go

reeds is having a crazy sale ....

http://www.reedssports.com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=33267
  ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #3058 on: Jan 21, 2014, 04:22 AM »
Thanks Oneida.  My son turned 12 on Sunday and this was a nice gift for him.
nice job kid :clap: :icefish: :icefish:
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline IceLabrador

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lead me to all of your secret spots or I'll bite!
« Reply #3059 on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:28 AM »
Nice catch man !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.