New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827195 times)

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #3000 on: Jan 20, 2014, 03:25 PM »
Nice pile of craps Hunt.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #3002 on: Jan 20, 2014, 04:20 PM »
same story for me today......tight lipped....got 2 nice eyes early and 3 jumbos then they just went dormant......they would chase the bait up and just look at it.....pretty frustrating.....could draw em up 15' off bottom and still wouldn't go....marked a lot of fish between 8:00 and 10:00....ice is awesome but slippery as heck under the snow.....I agree with snagger, if I'm marking fish that come off bottom to look then I wait em out....usually they turn on sometime, but not always....like today ;)....didn't practice what I preach today though , I moved a bunch of times with no better luck....should have stayed put....oh well thats fishing.....that cold front shut em down pretty good....looking forward to next weekend 

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #3004 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:07 PM »
Love fishing crappies, nice job especially during the day.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3005 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:08 PM »
Sorry!! even i can't fix this pic.  ::) LOL

Me either..  I tried...   :-\
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #3006 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:11 PM »
Hey are the pics today of Racers eyes... The second one is for Stormy (Slenderspoon) ;D

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3007 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:14 PM »
WTG Racer ! ....... The Spoons do produce ......  ;D
  ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline pa ice swimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3008 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:18 PM »
I think it's the operator  ;) nice fish racer!!

Offline Racer268

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3009 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:24 PM »
Another fun day Pooch.  No matter what, it's always better than the best day at work.  As a side note.  I officially will never throw a good size Burbot back.  I cleaned them like on the U-Tube vid, cubed them and then rolled them in seasoned flour and dropped into hot oil.  Absolutely outstanding.  Next time I'm gonna try cooking them just like in the vid.  They went perfectly with the poor mans shrimp appetizer.   

Offline Pemad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3010 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:27 PM »
Went out this morning over by Jewel and caught nothing until 10:30.  A school of Walleye moved in for about 45 minutes and caught a good 14 of them and had my 3 keepers in that short period.   2 females and 1 male.   Male was 20 inches females were 151/2 and 17 full of eggs.   When they are on, they are on!!!  :icefish:

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #3011 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:28 PM »
got out this afternoon with the grandkids. we decided to go for perch out by the islands. fished 20 fow, and the fish were 2' thick on the bottom, and they wouldn't commit ??? you could get them up 10' off the bottom, and they still wouldn't commit. ended up with 3 jumbos.   Sully...

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #3012 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:31 PM »
also wanted to comment on the guys who set up right next to me out in the middle of the lake :(....like 20 yds....one guy had a very young little girl with him....the other two guys acted like they were in a bar with the horrible language......a little disturbing....was surprised the dad didn't say something

Offline Racer268

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3013 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:33 PM »
Thanks guy's.  It was my day today.  I love the slender spoons.  They sometimes save the day when nothing else works.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3014 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:46 PM »
Spent yesterday and today off the drop between Godfrey and Jewel...all I can say is "tough Bite" :%$#!:
Only fished the last 4 hours yesterday and got our fish the last 30 minutes, with a few Jumbos as well. Today we had the chase and sniff game going on...a lot of the fish would just come up and bump the minnow head on the bottom treble of the Rap, so frustrating. Got a ton of Pinners and a decent amount of Shorts, all our legal fish were caught at random times throughout the day. Just not in the mood...these are the days you learn a lot about yourself as a fisherman...
Congrats to all that had success :thumbsup:

AW

Offline Hookinup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release ... into the grease!
« Reply #3015 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:53 PM »
Another fun day Pooch.  No matter what, it's always better than the best day at work.  As a side note.  I officially will never throw a good size Burbot back.  I cleaned them like on the U-Tube vid, cubed them and then rolled them in seasoned flour and dropped into hot oil.  Absolutely outstanding.  Next time I'm gonna try cooking them just like in the vid.  They went perfectly with the poor mans shrimp appetizer.

I also had some burbot last night. I was frying some perch, so I breaded and fried some up. Also boiled some of the chunked shoulder meat like in the video and served with melted butter. It was very, very good. Not one bit of a "fishy" taste. White, flakey, sweet meat. It would be a treat to have some done right out on the ice like the guy in the video does. I think it only took him 10 or 15 minutes to get it skinned and prepared.
Always remember .... they have a brain the size of a pea! How hard can it be? ???

Offline greenhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3016 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:54 PM »
Finally got out on Oneida Lake! I had one of those days... I highly recommend wearing cleats, fell once and wrenched my knee twice. I bought 3 dozen buckeyes(MM) at 6: 05am, all but a couple were floating belly up by 6:30am. I also managed to break the Transducer Support Arm on my LX-5. All I had to show for it was one short Walleye, about 12". I did mark a lot of fish, many were suspended 8-15 off the bottom. I had a lot of followers, only two biters. One came charging right off the bottom and slammed my Rap! Now I can hook my shanty, my snow suit, my fingers, just about any of the equipment I haul out on the ice but I missed that fish! All in all it wasn't that bad, I figure I got all the dumb$ out of the way all in one day! ;D
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                I   fell   a couple  times  myself  with cleats  on , going to have to start wearing a helmet. Great  job  on the  crappies HuntNY

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #3017 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:54 PM »
Spent yesterday and today off the drop between Godfrey and Jewel...all I can say is "tough Bite" :%$#!:
Only fished the last 4 hours yesterday and got our fish the last 30 minutes, with a few Jumbos as well. Today we had the chase and sniff game going on...a lot of the fish would just come up and bump the minnow head on the bottom treble of the Rap, so frustrating. Got a ton of Pinners and a decent amount of Shorts, all our legal fish were caught at random times throughout the day. Just not in the mood...these are the days you learn a lot about yourself as a fisherman...
Congrats to all that had success :thumbsup:

AW

AW, that is how today went, just really tough!!!!!

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #3018 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:59 PM »

Made a video yesterday of how hard it was to get them too commit...

Went looking through old pages and saw this vid again.... awesome!

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #3019 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:02 PM »
I also had some burbot last night. I was frying some perch, so I breaded and fried some up. Also boiled some of the chunked shoulder meat like in the video and served with melted butter. It was very, very good. Not one bit of a "fishy" taste. White, flakey, sweet meat. It would be a treat to have some done right out on the ice like the guy in the video does. I think it only took him 10 or 15 minutes to get it skinned and prepared.
I been screaming from the get go that most people just don't know how fortunate we are to have Burbot here and disgrace them by leaving them on the ice, glad you took the time to try them bud ;)

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3020 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:11 PM »
also wanted to comment on the guys who set up right next to me out in the middle of the lake :(....like 20 yds....one guy had a very young little girl with him....the other two guys acted like they were in a bar with the horrible language......a little disturbing....was surprised the dad didn't say something
I don't usually fish weekends but I took my buddy out behind the islands on Sunday. I thought the Sunday crowd was cool, a lot of kids and wives out. Then two sleds of guys showed up, F this F that, every other word. It was a pretty tight group of shanties, I was the furthest away and I could hear them easily. If you are that group of guys and obviously fishing is not your top priority, why do you set up in the middle of 20 people.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3021 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:20 PM »

Awesome spot I was on! NEVER fished there before! Had it all to ourselves for a whole morning, then by that afternoon and the next morning, it was BLOWN UP! That's the way it works out there I guess.......That's why I like a little precip going on, just enough to cut visibility down to about a quarter mile!......Not sure if the fish vacated or not, but I WILL find out this Friday! That was the second multi species spot I found that weekend that had exactly what I was looking for in it...... My perfect day out there is 3 18-20 inch eyes, and 8-12 JUMBOS!

yes that's my perfect day a limit of 16-18" eyes and 12 big arz perch , now I'm digging this mid bite when you have to start working for them , the easy bite is about over , now it boils down to consistency, my favorite time , ya really have to think about your moves, depths , lure patterns , and presentation , god I love a tough bite , it can humble you or make you feel you really did think like a fish  ;)

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #3022 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:26 PM »
Finally got out on Oneida Lake! I had one of those days... I highly recommend wearing cleats, fell once and wrenched my knee twice. I bought 3 dozen buckeyes(MM) at 6: 05am, all but a couple were floating belly up by 6:30am. I also managed to break the Transducer Support Arm on my LX-5. All I had to show for it was one short Walleye, about 12". I did mark a lot of fish, many were suspended 8-15 off the bottom. I had a lot of followers, only two biters. One came charging right off the bottom and slammed my Rap! Now I can hook my shanty, my snow suit, my fingers, just about any of the equipment I haul out on the ice but I missed that fish! All in all it wasn't that bad, I figure I got all the dumb$ out of the way all in one day! ;D

Don't sound like apps buckeyes, and today was warm, wait til it gets cold out....
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #3023 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:28 PM »
  Don't sound like apps buckeyes, and today was warm, wait til it gets cold out....
Nope, Apps last forever ;)

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3024 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:29 PM »
Chowdaire no that wasn't me , I did pickup 3 guys and the gear on the way in to the parking lot. NF sorry you were not here but atleast you were fishing hope to see you soon either on the hard water or river. Brian congrats to you and your dad, I sent you a text message but for some reason I seem to remember you don't have service or something like that. Huntny30 nice set of Crappies there, I have aspot for some too but they are still small so will wait till next year to get on them. Stormy colleen wants to know where have you been, wants to know if the run down the river afew yrs ago with here first salmon you helped her get scared you, lol Shane I too want to thank you for everything, it was fun on Saturday to try to make it to that spo we had gone tot, and to not be able to so I found my own just looking at the map, then went back on sunday and did well again, so it is nice to find your own spot to fish once and awhile but sure couldn't do it without my friends.

Offline braz315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3025 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:32 PM »
If you guys are searching for eyes without electronics, how long will you work a hole before moving on to the next one?

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #3026 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:33 PM »
I just want to preface these next statements by saying that I always respect other's space when out on the ice.  When you guys refer to someone else's hot spot, is it a spot that they've personally shown you or is it a spot that you've seen people fish from time to time?

I'm new to Oneida so I've been using a map app to locate potential spots to try out.  Sometimes they're occupied, sometimes they're not.  If they're occupied, I either give them enough space, or move to a new spot.  The next time I'm out and it's free, I try it out.

You guys don't mean to say that if occupied every once in a while its off limits completely throughout the season are you?

The whole lake is public, wasn't being arrogant saying its "My" spot at all, fish wherever you like....but theres a bunch of us that fish together, its like a on going contest between us too "Be" the "One" who finds the bite or spot, I hate it when my buds find a better group of fish then me, I'm so stubbern I won't fish there spots even if there blistering them, I'll just keep poking til I out do them by finding another group of fish even easier too catch..  ;D
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #3027 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:41 PM »
If you guys are searching for eyes without electronics, how long will you work a hole before moving on to the next one?

20 to 30 minutes working the jig a variety of ways. I'll have two poles with either the same jig in different sizes or the same jig in different colors. I start at the bottom of the column and work my way up slowly. If nothing hits I move to my next point. I plan my routes the night before on navionics.

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3028 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:54 PM »
Thought I would share this recipe. Just cooked it for my inlaws and they said it was the best fish  they ever had. Despite my mother in law getting the warty walleye. 1 cup flower 1/4 cup baking powder 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup milk 1/2 cup water. Stir it all up, dip the fish, put in oil. My 4 year old had her plate clean by the time I sat down. She thought it was chicken nuggets, but gone in two minutes none the less. 

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3029 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:03 PM »
Thought I would share this recipe. Just cooked it for my inlaws and they said it was the best fish  they ever had. Despite my mother in law getting the warty walleye. 1 cup flower 1/4 cup baking powder 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup milk 1/2 cup water. Stir it all up, dip the fish, put in oil. My 4 year old had her plate clean by the time I sat down. She thought it was chicken nuggets, but gone in two minutes none the less.

:woot: :woot: :roflmao:
It'll eat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.